Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? 01:01 - Jul 12 with 6908 viewsDylanP

I'm bitterly disappointed. F.U.C.K. This was the year. There was the song; and all the people throwing their beer in the air every time we scored; and the song; and all the young, skillful-looking players, playing good football. Oh and, did I mention that this was the year we had a shot -- and that bloody song raising all my bloody hopes! Damn you Baddiel/Skinner!

Then again, it possible that in a few weeks I might look back and be pleased because, objectively, we did better than I actually expected. Its also possible that there are human beings mature enough to be able to think that now.

What about you? Did you expect us to screw up all along, so you are kinda relieved when we finally reverted to form? Or are you (like me) just reminded of why you hate football and never want to see another game ever again? EVER! (until Saturday, of course)

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:05 - Jul 12 with 1881 viewsozexile

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 10:47 - Jul 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Lost my love for the England team a long while ago so I tend to look at them without rose glasses so not disappointed just realistic.

I thought Southgate did not have a plan B and was too loyal to a few players.

Our midfield were never in the game and he could have gone more defensive with a 451 before they scored and seen the game out
Poor game management from him and the players
I do think a lot of changes are needed and some of the younger players we have pushing to get in should now be looked at as there is a danger of standing still with this squad as we have often done before.
Southgate's loyalty worries me.

The Venables Influence Humm if you were around when he was our manager you would know he would have shut up the defense and midfield.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 10:57]

Agree, plan B was absent. And ge was too loyal to Alli who couldn't have been fit.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:11 - Jul 12 with 1867 viewsJuzzie

Gutted but so proud. Yes, other big nations under achieved but that's not our problem. Yes, we had an easier path in the knock out stages (so did Croatia, who had to go into ET every game, but no one seems to mention that whilst trying to put England down, plus their group stage wasn't exactly the group of death either) but we can only play who's in front of us.

I think it was just a game too far. Yes, would have been fantastic to finally reach a final after three previous semi-final losses since '66 but the team looked spent. We exhausted ourselves first half and needed to go in at half time 2-0 up.

Sure, opportunity missed but I don't think the team didn't want to reach the final. They tried their best to.

Lets face it, we'd have taken this 3 weeks ago so nothing to be ashamed of.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 12:21]
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:17 - Jul 12 with 1853 viewskingo

Absolutely gutted as this was a real opportunity. But in context this was a very young and tournament wise, inexperienced England side against the Golden Generation of Croatia, who had a few tricks up their sleeves. I also thought the ref was extremely poor and this favoured the more streetwise Croats. I certainly thought Perisic's boot was dangerously high for the equaliser. But on the night several of our more established players didn't excel, Harry Kane in particular, plus we were wasteful with chances when we made them. For all their possession, Croatia's goals both had a touch of good fortune about them and luck plays a big part in football.
However, I am proud that the team surpassed all expectations and the future is looking hopeful.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:30 - Jul 12 with 1818 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:17 - Jul 12 by kingo

Absolutely gutted as this was a real opportunity. But in context this was a very young and tournament wise, inexperienced England side against the Golden Generation of Croatia, who had a few tricks up their sleeves. I also thought the ref was extremely poor and this favoured the more streetwise Croats. I certainly thought Perisic's boot was dangerously high for the equaliser. But on the night several of our more established players didn't excel, Harry Kane in particular, plus we were wasteful with chances when we made them. For all their possession, Croatia's goals both had a touch of good fortune about them and luck plays a big part in football.
However, I am proud that the team surpassed all expectations and the future is looking hopeful.

Agreed although I thought Walker’s head was very low for the equaliser. It was an awkward height but he made the wrong choice trying to head it for me.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:32 - Jul 12 with 1814 viewsDesertBoot

Golden opportunities missed to go into the break 2-0 up after making look Croatia look very ordinary indeed.
In the second half we just looked flat and Modric took control of the game. We were lucky it went to extra-time in all honesty and didn't have that "give the ball to me" player who could produce some magic.
A young squad, a young manager, World Cup semi-finals losing in extra time to a battle-hardened Croatia side. Well done overall.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 11:56 - Jul 12 with 1745 viewstraininvain

A strange mixture of feeling gutted, a tinge of regret and proud all at the same time.

Gutted as it was probably the opportunity of a lifetime for England to play in a World Cup final. We may have lost but it would have been a step further than 1990 / 1996.

I'm feeling regret as we really should've scored a second goal in the first half when you consider the two Kane chances had, Stones' header cleared off the line and Lingard's chance.

Can't help but think that if we score a second goal, it's game over. I sense that Croatia felt let off the hook at half time and it gave them motivation to come back at us in the second half.

Southgate has been brilliant but my final regret is that he didn't get Delph on for Alli five or 10 minutes before Croatia scored their first goal. I said at the time that we needed fresh legs and someone to get hold of the midfield.

But to end on a positive note, I'm so proud of this team and the manager / coaching staff as they have been brilliant and share a real connection with us. The last few weeks have been amazing and it has been great to see the country united in supporting England.

Just look at this emotion from the players after the game: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/england-players-comforted-proud-wags

Hopefully they will take this experience and disappointment into Euro 2020 and win the tournament on home soil. It's coming home!
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:06 - Jul 12 with 1727 viewsBasingstokeR

Strangely not gutted, just slightly frustrated at the missed opportunity and slim margin in it.

I felt it was a complete 50/50 game going in and was surprised how well we started; but in the late stages of a WC you need your big players to perform; if perhaps Kane squares to Sterling instead of shooting it might be different. We didn't react well enough to Croatia pushing our wingbacks hard in the 2nd, and making more space of Modric etc. perhaps the subs could've been different to take more account of that. Thought the ref let a lot go, in particular for Lovren.

Mentioning Harry Kane - he in particular seemed to be getting worse/more subdued game by game (irrespective of opponent, looking more sluggish and dropping deeper - perhaps too much pressure if Southgate in the post match was truthful about no niggles/injury).

Tremendously impressed by Tripper, Maguire and Pickford in this tournament. In the Croatia game whilst post match plaudits seem to all be going to Modric (who is class) - Perisic was the outstanding player for me 2nd half.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:18 - Jul 12 with 1698 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Mixed emotions. At the start of the tournament I would have taken semi-finals but the way the draw opened up altered my ambition. Yes the team will get better with experience but you can't help but think that major footballing sides like Germany, Italy, Spain and Argentina will come again.

Yesterday's match was lost in the first half, with several very good chances spurned. At 1 nil Croatia were always in it and with a subtle change of tactics they duly took control in the 2nd half. Southgate has certainly developed a system and identity that has recaptured the imagination. If I was to be critical perhaps he was overly loyal to the same starting 11 and 3-5-2 formation. Yesterday demonstrated that he needs a stronger supporting cast and a plan B if England are to take the next step.

This is a squad that, with some decent additions, can improve but more creativity is required in midfield. It's somewhat odd that England now has a defence that is capable of stroking the ball around but lacks midfielders with similar technique, guile and composure.

On a personal note I found it refreshing going into a tournament with low expectations and being pleasantly surprised. I just hope this performance this doesn't inflate expectations for future tournaments. England are still a work in progress and are at their best without the weight of expectation on their shoulders and the press on their backs.
Login to get fewer ads

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:18 - Jul 12 with 1694 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I only saw two games, and I liked what I saw.

No diving. No feigning injury. They just played the game the way it should be played. As many have said, we’re neither likely to have a better chance of making a final and maybe, what we’ve really done, is overachieved. Hopefully this tournament will act as a springboard.

But maybe what Southgate, his staff and the players have really done; is turn a skeptical and frustrated fan base into one where we can be proud of them. After the Euros, that’s some achievement.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:31 - Jul 12 with 1657 viewsPhildo

The whole thing was an example of good leadership I thought. A young group of men clearly looking up to and following the example of a manager who behaved with dignity and good sportsmanship throughout- in other words displaying class. It produced a result which meant the group outperformed the sum of its parts.

How could people not like that. Compare to say Eddie Jones in the rugby trying to wind people up. I know which type I prefer. If only we could get rid of the narcissistic element in politics now and replace them with this type of behaviour.

I would give Southgate a knighthood for his behaviour if nothing else.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:31 - Jul 12 with 1656 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:06 - Jul 12 by BasingstokeR

Strangely not gutted, just slightly frustrated at the missed opportunity and slim margin in it.

I felt it was a complete 50/50 game going in and was surprised how well we started; but in the late stages of a WC you need your big players to perform; if perhaps Kane squares to Sterling instead of shooting it might be different. We didn't react well enough to Croatia pushing our wingbacks hard in the 2nd, and making more space of Modric etc. perhaps the subs could've been different to take more account of that. Thought the ref let a lot go, in particular for Lovren.

Mentioning Harry Kane - he in particular seemed to be getting worse/more subdued game by game (irrespective of opponent, looking more sluggish and dropping deeper - perhaps too much pressure if Southgate in the post match was truthful about no niggles/injury).

Tremendously impressed by Tripper, Maguire and Pickford in this tournament. In the Croatia game whilst post match plaudits seem to all be going to Modric (who is class) - Perisic was the outstanding player for me 2nd half.

Agree that Perisic was MOM. Caused major problems throughout, scored the equaliser, hit the post, dissected the England defence with a delicious pass that Mandzukic should have scored and set-up the second goal. Modric is a lazy pick because of his reputation and was anonymous in the first half.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:47 - Jul 12 with 1620 viewsWestbourneR

Got to say, ultimately, with the way our side of the draw opened up, I am so disappointed. It hurts, it really hurts.

We had to beat Tunisia, Panama, Colombia and Sweden - and then Croatia - to get to the final. That's a chance you'll never get again and have to take.

There are 4 million people in Croatia, 12 million in London alone. And this is not the Croatia vintage of the late 90s. Modric aside they're bang average.

Such a shame we let it slip away from us.

Anyway I love this England side, such a likeable hard working bunch. Had real spirit and personality. However, in terms of quality, it is one of the weakest squads we've sent in a long long time.

We need at least two or three central midfield players to come through. Ball players who can hold possession and create.

Alli, Lingaard and Sterling are better as number 10s than in midfield.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:14 - Jul 12 with 1574 viewsHAYESBOY

Gutted, as most people are. The stars aligned for us at this years World Cup.

I just thought Southgate should have changed it instead of sticking with the 3-5-2 which really was a 5-3-2 in the second half.
Their fullbacks were getting the ball so high in our half because our wing backs were too deep and Linguard and Ali kept having to run out to the wings to cover leaving Henderson on his own. It wasn't working. Should have changed to a 4 across the middle.

Big chance missed and may not come again for decades.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:38 - Jul 12 with 1523 viewsed_83

I was gutted last night, but honestly feeling nothing but positive today.

Really important to get some context here: England were the third-youngest and least experienced squad in the tournament, and the youngest squad we've sent to a World Cup in 56 years. To have built such a strong team ethic and reached the semi-finals playing (mostly) decent attacking football in a coherent system, with our centre-forward in pole position to claim the Golden Boot as a result, is light years ahead of where we were two years ago, and better than anything we've seen in a major tournament for 22 years.

I don't think we played particularly poorly last night, we just got beaten by a marginally more talented (i.e. they had Modric) and much more experienced Croatia team: there should be no shame for players, management or supporters in that.

Obviously, yes, there are some caveats: our wins came against relatively poor opposition, we still haven't beaten a big team in the knockout stages, our midfield sorely lacks someone who can put their foot on the ball and control the tempo of a game, our attackers have been inconsistent, and Southgate's substitutions and tactical switches haven't ever really seemed to swing things in our favour.

For me, though, all of this feels like an opportunity to build something better, rather than a one-off chance we've squandered: the core of this team could have as many as three or four more major tournaments together, and is surely only going to benefit from the experience they've gained here.

I may regret saying this, but I genuinely think that if we bring through a couple more players (i.e. a midfield controller rather than playing with three number 10s) then we could see this team in a major final within the next few years, even if it involves a tougher draw than we faced this time.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:44 - Jul 12 with 1514 viewsSydneyRs

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 01:28 - Jul 12 by Jigsore

our midfield is severely anaemic. they've done well to get as far as they did considering Henderson has practically played by himself half the tournament. from what's a fairly thin squad anyway you wonder what could have been if Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana hadn't been injured and if Alli or Kane were truly fit.

i'm truly surprised Croatia didn't tire to be honest (apart from Mandzukic, who spent at least 5 minutes lying on the floor in ET alone). if they were Russian they'd have been accused of doping. i'm not saying they are, i'm just saying it's a weird double standard. and it's rankling with me to see people rub it in with the most unfancied England side for about 30 years get narrowly beaten by Croatia's best team ever. but anyway at the end of the day Stones switched off and we got punished, that's tough luck. well done boys.

You're not the only one wondering where the Croats are getting their energy from!
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:47 - Jul 12 with 1502 viewsTHEBUSH

I think Darren Southgate did an excellent job with what players he had available.

I didn´t like the system he played, but as said, what with the players he had, he couldn´t do much more.

So to get to the WC semi´s was fantastic, no complaints here.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:55 - Jul 12 with 1472 viewskingo

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 13:44 - Jul 12 by SydneyRs

You're not the only one wondering where the Croats are getting their energy from!

Does seem a bit odd that 2 players who were meant to be out of the match are then starting and Vrsaljko then has a stormer with no indication of any injury or any fatigue. Added to that Rakatic then says that he had been up all night with a 38 degree temperature but seemed to run around like a spring chicken.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 14:01 - Jul 12 with 1460 viewsR_from_afar

I'm really proud of the team and the management, we overachieved and conducted ourselves with dignity. If someone had said we would lose by one goal, in the semi-final, after extra time, I would've taken that.

There wasn't much in it and I don't think we lost it, I think Croatia won it, if you see what I mean, with two moments of quality. We didn't get knocked out due to some ghastly error or tactic gaffe. It was close.

Now let's go and win the Euros.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 14:08 - Jul 12 with 1443 viewshopphoops

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:31 - Jul 12 by Phildo

The whole thing was an example of good leadership I thought. A young group of men clearly looking up to and following the example of a manager who behaved with dignity and good sportsmanship throughout- in other words displaying class. It produced a result which meant the group outperformed the sum of its parts.

How could people not like that. Compare to say Eddie Jones in the rugby trying to wind people up. I know which type I prefer. If only we could get rid of the narcissistic element in politics now and replace them with this type of behaviour.

I would give Southgate a knighthood for his behaviour if nothing else.

His behaviour and his willingness to prepare.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 15:32 - Jul 12 with 1373 viewsNorthernr

Overall, absolutely gutted. That was an amazing chance - Colombia, Sweden and Croatia to get to a world cup final, and you're 1-0 up in the Croatia game. Can't imagine we'll ever have a better chance again.

Last night I expected Croatia would come out second half and have a big dig for ten minutes and our job was to ride that and then re-establish ourselves in the game. We never managed to do that, it felt like we were clinging on by our finger nails from minute 45 onwards. We just needed a big tackle, a counter attack, a set piece, something to just tip the balance back our way and get a foothold back in the game and it never came and we couldn't do it. Looked a bit too much for us. Such a shame.

Having been a frequent England attender all through my teens and early 20s, I fell completely out of love with it during the Sven era. A loathsome team, full of absolute cnts, half arsedly fcking up games mostly played at that hateful citadel of commercialism Old Trafford. Fat Frank, Big Racist John, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney. Hated them, hated it. So it was nice to at least feel reconnected with the team and the manager here for the first time in ages. He's done exactly the right thing, shovelled all the old twts off to the side and brought through an U21 team that was used to playing with each other, and used to playing at tournaments. Team over individual. And he's carried himself so well and spoken so thoughtfully. Really enjoyed it.

Most of all I'm pleased for Maka and Norfolt from this board, and the other QPR lads that are out there who've followed England home and away through all those sht times, and regularly had to read threads coating the team off on here (rightly, but still) from people who don't go to the games. They finally got to see us really attack a tournament properly and must have had a wonderful time out there. Hats off to those lads.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 15:50 - Jul 12 with 1344 viewsted_hendrix

I was pretty much disinterested with this tournament when it started but slowly as England progressed I became hooked again, Its not glory hunting It's football.
What was pleasing to see is young lads playing for England who are clearly talented and are the future of the England team and a Manager who speaks sensibly and has no background of any skeletons in the cupboard that the national press can get hold of.
When we scored last night the first thing I said to meself was "Christ we're 85 minutes from the world cup final"
Last night's result beat the hell out of me for about 30 minutes after the final whistle, then I forced myself to be positive about the whole goddam thing.
I don't give a shit what some of the pundits we're saying this morning, for me the future of English football is a massive boost forward since the day I heard that Sam bloody Allardyce was the new England manager.

You can if and but yourself to death over last nights game and tactics but the way I see it is last nights game was a bridge to far for our players, they'll learn from it as i'm sure so will our Manager.

Yes the result was a smack in the gob, the tournament wasn't.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 16:52 - Jul 12 with 1274 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 12:06 - Jul 12 by BasingstokeR

I agree about Pickford and Maguire who were better than I expected. Trippier was our standout player and I think he has put himself on a World class level.

However Walker was woeful. Aside from his speed which got him and us out of trouble a few times he was badly exposed playing as a Central defender, was a liability and culpable for a couple of goals and a pen across the tournament. Pretty awful with the ball at his feet and repeatedly put Pickford under oressure by passing back to him far too often. I think Cahill or Trent AA would have been a better option.

Can’t see why people were disappointed with Alli’s performances. He’s played like that for Spurs all last season.

Overall thought we exceeded expectations and our ability with a squad that lacks enough real class to make a difference. Southgate has done a brilliant job.
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 16:56 - Jul 12 with 1267 viewsdaveB

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 15:32 - Jul 12 by Northernr

Overall, absolutely gutted. That was an amazing chance - Colombia, Sweden and Croatia to get to a world cup final, and you're 1-0 up in the Croatia game. Can't imagine we'll ever have a better chance again.

Last night I expected Croatia would come out second half and have a big dig for ten minutes and our job was to ride that and then re-establish ourselves in the game. We never managed to do that, it felt like we were clinging on by our finger nails from minute 45 onwards. We just needed a big tackle, a counter attack, a set piece, something to just tip the balance back our way and get a foothold back in the game and it never came and we couldn't do it. Looked a bit too much for us. Such a shame.

Having been a frequent England attender all through my teens and early 20s, I fell completely out of love with it during the Sven era. A loathsome team, full of absolute cnts, half arsedly fcking up games mostly played at that hateful citadel of commercialism Old Trafford. Fat Frank, Big Racist John, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney. Hated them, hated it. So it was nice to at least feel reconnected with the team and the manager here for the first time in ages. He's done exactly the right thing, shovelled all the old twts off to the side and brought through an U21 team that was used to playing with each other, and used to playing at tournaments. Team over individual. And he's carried himself so well and spoken so thoughtfully. Really enjoyed it.

Most of all I'm pleased for Maka and Norfolt from this board, and the other QPR lads that are out there who've followed England home and away through all those sht times, and regularly had to read threads coating the team off on here (rightly, but still) from people who don't go to the games. They finally got to see us really attack a tournament properly and must have had a wonderful time out there. Hats off to those lads.

This post has been edited by an administrator

is very easy in hindsight but thought he got the subs wrong last night. Sterling was doing well and him going off allowed Croatia to play higher up the pitch with no threat in behind them. I thought Rashford played far too deep and didn;t offer much. Would have brought on Loftus Cheek and tried to keep hold of the ball a bit better as well but overall they did pretty well last night. The way Souness and co have talked you'd think we lost 5-0 rather than 2-1 to a very late goal having missed 3 great chances.. It looked nailed on for penalties for most of extra time.

Been a great world cup though, not just England all the games have been brilliant to watch. Hopefuly England build on this in years to come but can't help feeling this was our chance
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 16:58 - Jul 12 with 1267 viewsCiderwithRsie

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 09:33 - Jul 12 by stevec

Disappointed to lose obviously, but in a strange way relieved, for the sake of the World Cup, we didn't progress to possibly winning the final.

First off, we did brilliant, for that team to reach the semi finals was a huge achievement, both the players and manager deserve all the credit coming to them. But I recall being far more gutted when we lost out in 1990 for the simple reason, the 90's team was good enough and would have thoroughly deserved to go on to win the World Cup.

That side had some class players, this side at the moment, doesn't. That's not to say it won't, I'd love to see them progress with a few additions in future years and actually look like a side that is borderline invincible. Only then should we have the satisfaction of another World Cup winning team.

A World Cup winning side should be about Pele's Brazil, Beckenbauer's West Germany, Maradona's Argentina, Zidane's France, superb teams with a dynamic individual. That or something along the lines of a Spain team of outstanding players.

Don't think there's anyone near that this time round, but a Mbappe inspired France would be a deserved winner, a Modric led Croatia a decent 2nd. They are the two deserving finalists.

Great post.

I was gutted in '90 and the '96 Euros because not only could we have won the thing I thought we were the better team in both those matches and got done on pens. But despite the first half, during the second it really became clear that we weren't the better side and by extra time I was hoping it went to penalties.

We might have beaten France but it'd be like that time Greece won the Euros.

Onward and upward
Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 17:27 - Jul 12 with 1225 viewsDylanP

Disappointed? Relieved? Pleased? What's Your Attitude? on 16:58 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

Great post.

I was gutted in '90 and the '96 Euros because not only could we have won the thing I thought we were the better team in both those matches and got done on pens. But despite the first half, during the second it really became clear that we weren't the better side and by extra time I was hoping it went to penalties.

We might have beaten France but it'd be like that time Greece won the Euros.

Onward and upward

There are people who want to see talent win out and want to see beautiful football and beautifully crafted goals. Obviously I do too. But more than that, I want to see my team win. I wish I could be that mature and dispassionate, but I just am not that person. I often think of Greece as the example. Greece have won a European Championship. England have never done that. I would just like to see us win some silverware and don't care if we get there through the weaker group, the weaker side of the bracket, or because the ball took a weird bounce and dribbled in off the goalie's backside. I applaud those who see the bigger picture and recognize that it wouldn't be good for the competition as a whole if the "better" team doesn't win out. However, I have been in love with footie for almost 50 years and in all that time neither QPR or England have won a single damn thing in all those years. I've always loved the World Cup and this one was glorious. I watched almost every game (on TV and DVR). I just wish we could finish with smiles instead of that sick-to-the-stomach disappointment that we are all so bloody used to by now!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024