Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand 08:41 - Apr 2 with 8654 viewsPunteR

His name keeps cropping up in all the SM threads at the mo so i thought it was worth starting his own one.
I dont for one minute think he should go. He's exactly what we need while we have these owners. Someone who's a football man and understands QPR.
However i do think he needs to get a grip on his roll and improvements need to be made. The idea of a DoF running the football side of things ,i thought, was to keep a consistency in the way we play and our recruitment. We seem to be very sporadic still in all these areas.
Just wondered what the general consensus is at the moment.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 10:35 - Apr 2 with 1427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 10:22 - Apr 2 by ozexile

I'm confused on how you can have a DOF who isn't in charge of appointing managers?

The two aren't necessarily linked, oz. A Continental DoF like Comoli has always focused on youth and transfers for instance.

According to Clive, Ferdinand - if he ever was in charge - certainly hasn't been in charge for the last two appointments.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand on 10:36 - Apr 2 with 1427 viewsaston_hoop

Didn't he say at the fans forum that he still has his own ambitions of actually managing some day? Or did I dream that up?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Les Ferdinand on 10:36 - Apr 2 with 1426 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 10:12 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

The one thing we know is that Ferdinand is not in charge of appointing managers.

We do know that he's in charge of the Academy and that Ramsey answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of scouting and that Penrice answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of everything else football-related, and that if he wasn't there then a non-football person would be in charge of all football matters, and that's what nearly bankrupted our club before Hoos and Ferdinand saved us.

I can't see how anyone is confused.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 10:13]

Brian, if he's in charge of scouting then I think he needs to take responsibility for the quality of the squad relative to the cost.

That said, did he scout Rangel, Cameron, Wells and Hemed? Or did SM run off with TF's credit card and go shopping on his own?

So either he's responsible for scouting and therefore the squad, or he's being undermined. It can't be both, hence I'm confused and can see why plenty of others are.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Les Ferdinand on 10:41 - Apr 2 with 1405 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 10:34 - Apr 2 by Antti_Heinola

because an owner of any company will always want final say?
Not sure why that's confusing?

In the case of JFH is seems LF had some input on the list of candidates and the owners made the final decision. But, if what we are being told is correct, it seems when it comes to IH and SM, the owners chose and imposed them on LF. So it is confusing, no?

Les Ferdinand on 10:42 - Apr 2 with 1405 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 10:36 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

Brian, if he's in charge of scouting then I think he needs to take responsibility for the quality of the squad relative to the cost.

That said, did he scout Rangel, Cameron, Wells and Hemed? Or did SM run off with TF's credit card and go shopping on his own?

So either he's responsible for scouting and therefore the squad, or he's being undermined. It can't be both, hence I'm confused and can see why plenty of others are.

He's not in charge of scouting his scouts are in charge of that. Ferdinand is basically a department head and his job is to help get the best from each areas of the club and ensure they work together.

I don't think you can blame Ferdinand for signing Joel Lynch just as you can't really praise him for signing Luke Freeman, the praise/criticism comes from who he has put in place to scout/sign those players which is why I think not letting him have final say on who the manager makes his job very difficult to judge
Les Ferdinand on 10:44 - Apr 2 with 1384 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 10:36 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

I think our scouting's a million miles better than it was beforehand.

Rangel was a good signing, Cameron and Wells both excellent. Hemed - oh no!

BOS is a fine player, Freeman an absolute steal, Luongo a fine player, Smith for £500k, Scowen on a free...

I think we've been weak at recruiting centre-backs, mind you. You'd imagine there must be a young centre-back we can afford on our budget.

But, all told, I'm really pleased with our scouting.

Opinions differ on that, I grant you.

But I think it's very clear that he's in charge.

Les Ferdinand on 10:47 - Apr 2 with 1367 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand on 10:42 - Apr 2 by daveB

He's not in charge of scouting his scouts are in charge of that. Ferdinand is basically a department head and his job is to help get the best from each areas of the club and ensure they work together.

I don't think you can blame Ferdinand for signing Joel Lynch just as you can't really praise him for signing Luke Freeman, the praise/criticism comes from who he has put in place to scout/sign those players which is why I think not letting him have final say on who the manager makes his job very difficult to judge

I agree with that to an extent, Dave - devolved responsibility etc - except to add that Penrice is answerable to Ferdinand and works under criteria set by Ferdinand who would sign off on the signings, so he is in charge.

Les Ferdinand on 10:49 - Apr 2 with 1357 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 10:42 - Apr 2 by daveB

So, as I said in my first post, he's a Minister Without Portfolio. He has a wide remit but isn't accountable, because when it comes to the decisions he doesn't make them?

Seems very odd that, having learnt lessons, TF appointed a football man who should know more than him and then ignores him on the big footballing decisions. Odd, but quite plausible, hence why this isn't so much a criticism of LF other than why, if that's true, he would accept that.

And, just to add, sounds like a case of nice work if you can get it!
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 10:51]

Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand on 10:51 - Apr 2 with 1352 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 10:49 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

So, as I said in my first post, he's a Minister Without Portfolio. He has a wide remit but isn't accountable, because when it comes to the decisions he doesn't make them?

Seems very odd that, having learnt lessons, TF appointed a football man who should know more than him and then ignores him on the big footballing decisions. Odd, but quite plausible, hence why this isn't so much a criticism of LF other than why, if that's true, he would accept that.

Only QPR could appoint a DOF who isn't an actual DOF. Just a club liaison officer by the sounds of it.
Les Ferdinand on 10:53 - Apr 2 with 1337 views2Thomas2Bowles

I think Amit after consulting all parties should pick the next manager and put his name on it.

That's what a chairman should do, not leave it to subordinates but does he have the ability and guts.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Les Ferdinand on 10:55 - Apr 2 with 1328 viewsPastCaringNW2

Les has a real role and a phantom role. I have no idea what his day to day work entails but in terms of attracting the best young players we can lay our hands on then his presence is massive. The "Sir" thing may be tongue in cheek to some extent but it carries weight in the real world too. Players look up to him, parents will see him as paragon rather than pariah. If we pick up one gem a year from the Prem cast-off pile then he and CR have effectively paid their own wages. I don't care what else he is doing even if he is just doing the Jerry Maguire thing. Good in the living room with the families.

The phantom role is to act as human shield for the owners. Well-loved enough to absorb an awful lot of stick before it reaches TF. Chris Wright's biggest error was to not get someone like Les in the boardroom to sandbag the gaping holes in his useless ownership plan.

TF is essentially CW in a slightly more marketable package. They want the same things though. To be in the winner's circle with Loftus Road redeveloped and the club tucked away in some horror show of a commuter belt stadium. A London club in nothing but name.

So never mind what Les is doing, how about having owners whose business is owning football clubs. Radical idea especially in an era when wealth is seen as the ultimate virtue. God spare us from rich men with a taste for sporting glory. In the face of this kind of thing Les is the best friend we've got.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 11:55]
Les Ferdinand on 10:57 - Apr 2 with 1306 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 10:51 - Apr 2 by ozexile

Only QPR could appoint a DOF who isn't an actual DOF. Just a club liaison officer by the sounds of it.

Agreed. I do think if he wasn't Les Ferdinand far more questions would be being asked.

Personally, although I agree it can be good to have people with a club's DNA in their blood, I also think there's a risk of encouraging mediocrity because it discourages difficult questions being asked when difficult questions need to be asked.

Les Ferdinand on 10:59 - Apr 2 with 1296 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oz and Deja,

You seem to have your minds made up.

"Minister without Portfolio" and "Club Liaison Officer"....

Anyway, I'm off out into the gorgeous Irish April snow.

Les Ferdinand on 11:02 - Apr 2 with 1276 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 10:59 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Oz and Deja,

Enjoy.
Les Ferdinand on 11:06 - Apr 2 with 1254 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 10:59 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Oz and Deja,

I haven't made up my mind at all because, as I said earlier, I can't work out if he is, indeed, a Minister Without Portfolio, or he's not and is making decisions that he's getting an easy ride for.

That said, I absolutely accept that he isn't anything close to the real problem here.

Les Ferdinand on 11:06 - Apr 2 with 1252 viewsToast_R

He should stay, I've always taken comfort in knowing Les has the club at heart, understands its fanbase and along side Hoos, is moving the club finacially to where it needs to be. For the board to release genuine honest football people after all the charlatans they've listned to in the past would be a huge step backwards.
Les Ferdinand on 11:20 - Apr 2 with 1204 viewstimcocking

Just seems like no matter what happens nowadays, people just need somebody to point the blame at. If a meteor came down and wiped out the first team squad, it'd be the fault of Les, MaClaren or Fernandes, depending on who you asked.
Les Ferdinand on 11:27 - Apr 2 with 1180 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 11:20 - Apr 2 by timcocking

Just seems like no matter what happens nowadays, people just need somebody to point the blame at. If a meteor came down and wiped out the first team squad, it'd be the fault of Les, MaClaren or Fernandes, depending on who you asked.

Things happen for a reason. When the club's in the mess it's in, it hasn't just happened by accident, so I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss it on a messageboard.

Les Ferdinand on 11:31 - Apr 2 with 1151 viewsSimonJames

Les Ferdinand on 10:06 - Apr 2 by daveB

Ferdinand should be given the power now to appoint who he wants as manager and live or die by his own decision. if thats Sherwood then I think he's making a huge mistake but it should be his choice this time and he can at least then be accountable for it.

The problem with that is he may not get his first choice, or even 2nd or 3rd or 4th. I'm guessing the list of people queuing up for the job, based on what we can offer, is not very long.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Les Ferdinand on 11:34 - Apr 2 with 1133 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand on 11:27 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

Things happen for a reason. When the club's in the mess it's in, it hasn't just happened by accident, so I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss it on a messageboard.

Just to be clear I'm not critiscing Ferdinand. I'm critiscing the role of a DOF at our club when no one knows what that role is. Even seemingly the person in that role.
Les Ferdinand on 11:36 - Apr 2 with 1121 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand on 11:34 - Apr 2 by ozexile

Just to be clear I'm not critiscing Ferdinand. I'm critiscing the role of a DOF at our club when no one knows what that role is. Even seemingly the person in that role.

Absolutely. Every discussion doesn't have to be a vendetta.

Les Ferdinand on 12:07 - Apr 2 with 1038 viewsDannyPaddox

Les Ferdinand on 10:19 - Apr 2 by PlanetHonneywood

A lad I used to sit with, was a guest of the club earlier this season.

I’m not going to say who he sat with in the Directors’ Box, but the story he was told was this. Allegedly, Bircham was in Tony Pony’s ear about appointing Ollie, and soppy b....x agrees. Which sounds a lot like how we ended up with Hughes! Of course, once appointed, who did Ollie appoint as his assistant?

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times: Tony Pony has been a leaving, breathing, walking disaster for QPR. So much so, the likes of Hughes, Harry et al, don’t get anywhere near him in terms of culpability.

The problem I’ve always had with SLF’s return: what was the rationale for his role? What was the selection criteria? Was anyone else considered? And why was he chosen? Sounds like with my cost cutting to come, we might need to lose one of the chiefs and if his role is usurped, then he’s probably off.

Total clusterfukery as per usual down at the Big Top

Klaus Terfukery. Is this Tim Sherwood's German alias?
Les Ferdinand on 12:10 - Apr 2 with 1034 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 10:47 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree with that to an extent, Dave - devolved responsibility etc - except to add that Penrice is answerable to Ferdinand and works under criteria set by Ferdinand who would sign off on the signings, so he is in charge.

well yeah he's in charge I think i said that but the actual scouting is done by Penrice and his team
Les Ferdinand on 12:12 - Apr 2 with 1027 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 10:49 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

when did i say he's not accountable for anything?

I think you summed it up well there in that Fernandes brought in a football man and then ignored him, this is due to him being an idiot imo. I'd rather he let Ferdinand make the decisions and if he gets them wrong you replace him.
Les Ferdinand on 12:15 - Apr 2 with 1017 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 11:31 - Apr 2 by SimonJames

The problem with that is he may not get his first choice, or even 2nd or 3rd or 4th. I'm guessing the list of people queuing up for the job, based on what we can offer, is not very long.

he probably won't get his first choice but whether it is his 1st or 28th choice as long as he is making that decision he can at least live or die by that decision rather than have Fernandes bring someone in again
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024