Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand 08:41 - Apr 2 with 8655 viewsPunteR

His name keeps cropping up in all the SM threads at the mo so i thought it was worth starting his own one.
I dont for one minute think he should go. He's exactly what we need while we have these owners. Someone who's a football man and understands QPR.
However i do think he needs to get a grip on his roll and improvements need to be made. The idea of a DoF running the football side of things ,i thought, was to keep a consistency in the way we play and our recruitment. We seem to be very sporadic still in all these areas.
Just wondered what the general consensus is at the moment.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand on 12:40 - Apr 2 with 1667 viewsTonto

so are we more divided on Les or Brexit... Is hard to decide....

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Les Ferdinand on 12:40 - Apr 2 with 1667 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 11:27 - Apr 2 by DejR_vu

Things happen for a reason. When the club's in the mess it's in, it hasn't just happened by accident, so I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss it on a messageboard.

Wiki quote, first line. . "A director of football is a senior management figure at an association football team most commonly in Europe. The exact nature of the role is often unclear and causes much debate in the sports media."
I dont think you can blame anyone for not understanding the DoF role clearly.
Alex Ferguson is probably a good example of a manager that ran a club from top to bottom. Whether that be the youth, scouting, signing players, coaching etc. With the way football is now where managers are lucky to get one season at a club i understood the role of Dof was to keep all those things tied together while managers come and go.
Surely its a flaw in the system if the DoF cant have a major input to help decide what first team manager we get, as literally everything else is geared towards the first team?. Scouting, Youth, signings etc. What's the point of setting up the youth players and coaching them to play a certain way or play a brand of football if you like, if there's no chance the manager is going to want them or play that way.?
SM well and truly deserved the sack. Not just for the results but for ignoring the system we've worked hard to put in place and just loaned in expensive players. The club seems disjointed at the moment. I don't know if that's because of the direct influence of the incompetent board making all the decisions and going over LF's head(with his leap that should be hard to do) or simply that our youth and recruitment system isn't good enough regardless of our financial restrictions and managers feel they havnt got enough to work with.?. Whatever it is its clearly not working at our club.

Les Ferdinand on 12:53 - Apr 2 with 1630 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 12:40 - Apr 2 by PunteR

Wiki quote, first line. . "A director of football is a senior management figure at an association football team most commonly in Europe. The exact nature of the role is often unclear and causes much debate in the sports media."
I dont think you can blame anyone for not understanding the DoF role clearly.
Alex Ferguson is probably a good example of a manager that ran a club from top to bottom. Whether that be the youth, scouting, signing players, coaching etc. With the way football is now where managers are lucky to get one season at a club i understood the role of Dof was to keep all those things tied together while managers come and go.
Surely its a flaw in the system if the DoF cant have a major input to help decide what first team manager we get, as literally everything else is geared towards the first team?. Scouting, Youth, signings etc. What's the point of setting up the youth players and coaching them to play a certain way or play a brand of football if you like, if there's no chance the manager is going to want them or play that way.?
SM well and truly deserved the sack. Not just for the results but for ignoring the system we've worked hard to put in place and just loaned in expensive players. The club seems disjointed at the moment. I don't know if that's because of the direct influence of the incompetent board making all the decisions and going over LF's head(with his leap that should be hard to do) or simply that our youth and recruitment system isn't good enough regardless of our financial restrictions and managers feel they havnt got enough to work with.?. Whatever it is its clearly not working at our club.

There is certainly a flaw in how we use the DOF model, we only seem to have gone half in on it and with the last few managers have just let them sign who they want which hasn't made much sense.

I think the role is vital to the club and we were an absolute shambles without it but no one can say it's working perfectly and shouldn't be under scrutiny. The way the club seem to have a completely different transfer policy for each manager is not ideal.
Les Ferdinand on 13:44 - Apr 2 with 1556 viewssmegma

I do love a thread based on rumour, gossip and hearsay.
Les Ferdinand on 14:19 - Apr 2 with 1503 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 13:44 - Apr 2 by smegma

Feel free to share some facts on here then smegma.

Les Ferdinand on 14:30 - Apr 2 with 1474 viewspaulparker

Les Ferdinand on 10:19 - Apr 2 by PlanetHonneywood

A lad I used to sit with, was a guest of the club earlier this season.

I’m not going to say who he sat with in the Directors’ Box, but the story he was told was this. Allegedly, Bircham was in Tony Pony’s ear about appointing Ollie, and soppy b....x agrees. Which sounds a lot like how we ended up with Hughes! Of course, once appointed, who did Ollie appoint as his assistant?

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times: Tony Pony has been a leaving, breathing, walking disaster for QPR. So much so, the likes of Hughes, Harry et al, don’t get anywhere near him in terms of culpability.

The problem I’ve always had with SLF’s return: what was the rationale for his role? What was the selection criteria? Was anyone else considered? And why was he chosen? Sounds like with my cost cutting to come, we might need to lose one of the chiefs and if his role is usurped, then he’s probably off.

Total clusterfukery as per usual down at the Big Top

And then Teflon Tony does the same again when Mclaren starts bending his ear
Still at least his learning by his mistakes

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Les Ferdinand on 14:39 - Apr 2 with 1451 viewsTacticalR

So is the current role of DoF to tell the Chairman not to do stupid things before the Chairman just goes ahead and does them anyway?

Air hostess clique

Les Ferdinand on 14:45 - Apr 2 with 1433 viewsAntti_Heinola

Les Ferdinand on 13:44 - Apr 2 by smegma

Me too!
I imagine without those three things forums would be pretty lonely places. Thank god for hearsay, that's what I say. Not Hear'Say, mind. Awful noise.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand on 15:06 - Apr 2 with 1395 viewsrsonist

Rumour, gossip and hearsay if it's about Les, gospel if it's about McClaren going rogue.
Les Ferdinand on 15:21 - Apr 2 with 1350 viewsbosh67

Les Ferdinand on 10:11 - Apr 2 by terryb

I like Hoos. I like Ferdinand. I like Sinton. However, our club needs to reduce costs & I can't imagine we can make the needed savings from just players.

Therefore, I ask the question - Can we afford all three? Are we a big enough club to warrant all three positions?

I have no idea of their salaries, but I doubt it will less than an average first team player.

I think Hoos is the only thing keeping us afloat financially so he is critical. Les out of the 3 of them is the one who has to think what his job is and how it actually influences things. I don't know if he had badges but if not he should get them because he knows a lot about the game. Sinton does a great job and I don't think he is on spectacular money. Every time I listen to him I think this is the guy who should be managing the team. Out of everyone behind the scenes he is the one who gets it the most. Trevor Sinclair is very similar in his love for us and he is also someone who, ideally, should be at the club working to motivate the players.

That is what we are lacking. Someone who actually handles the players at every level and motivates them to be the best they can be and educate them as to what QPR is all about, because I feel that is lacking a lot of the time.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Les Ferdinand on 15:28 - Apr 2 with 1333 viewsA40Bosh

Les Ferdinand on 15:21 - Apr 2 by bosh67

I think Hoos is the only thing keeping us afloat financially so he is critical. Les out of the 3 of them is the one who has to think what his job is and how it actually influences things. I don't know if he had badges but if not he should get them because he knows a lot about the game. Sinton does a great job and I don't think he is on spectacular money. Every time I listen to him I think this is the guy who should be managing the team. Out of everyone behind the scenes he is the one who gets it the most. Trevor Sinclair is very similar in his love for us and he is also someone who, ideally, should be at the club working to motivate the players.

That is what we are lacking. Someone who actually handles the players at every level and motivates them to be the best they can be and educate them as to what QPR is all about, because I feel that is lacking a lot of the time.

"and educate them as to what QPR is all about, because I feel that is lacking a lot of the time."

I wonder sometimes whether we get too hung up about us being that special or different from the 23 other clubs that currently sit in the 2nd tier of English Football. At the end of the day we want a manager who will come in, accept there is FFP enforced fiscal constraints, a need to bring through, blood, showcase and promote and sell our best youth assets, stop conceding goals (especially those just before and straight after HT) and basically win matches on a regular basis.

Perhaps in the current climate where we have made a dog's dinner of spending loads of dosh when we had it means regardless of who comes through the door as manager they are going to be really up against it until such time as more and more 2nd tier clubs and those falling out of the Premier for a period of time start struggling to stay within FFP and find themselves struggling like we are.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 15:29]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Les Ferdinand on 16:36 - Apr 2 with 1265 viewsHunterhoop

Les Ferdinand on 10:22 - Apr 2 by ozexile

I'm confused on how you can have a DOF who isn't in charge of appointing managers?

You shouldn’t have that situation. He should be. But it’s not his call; it’s the board’s! They employ him. If they aren’t giving him that power or taking the decision away at times because they are swayed by the latest twitter storm, what can he do? Your gripe is with the Board not Les. If he were to walk he’d be giving up on fixing precisely the problem we have - how the Board rub the club!

Brian has made it very clear what he does.
Les Ferdinand on 16:39 - Apr 2 with 1263 viewsHunterhoop

Les Ferdinand on 10:12 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

The one thing we know is that Ferdinand is not in charge of appointing managers.

We do know that he's in charge of the Academy and that Ramsey answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of scouting and that Penrice answers to him.

We do know that he's in charge of everything else football-related, and that if he wasn't there then a non-football person would be in charge of all football matters, and that's what nearly bankrupted our club before Hoos and Ferdinand saved us.

I can't see how anyone is confused.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 10:13]

Spot on. Should also add that he’s in charge of Sinton and the football club’s stature within the game (former players, etc), and the club in the community, I believe.

He should be choosing the managers but is being overruled by our meddling board. The issue is there, with them.
Les Ferdinand on 17:14 - Apr 2 with 1214 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 16:39 - Apr 2 by Hunterhoop

Spot on. Should also add that he’s in charge of Sinton and the football club’s stature within the game (former players, etc), and the club in the community, I believe.

He should be choosing the managers but is being overruled by our meddling board. The issue is there, with them.

Why would the board want to chose the manager when they know they are clueless at the football side. It just doesn't make any sense at all. What do they gain from it?

Les Ferdinand on 17:44 - Apr 2 with 1167 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand on 17:14 - Apr 2 by PunteR

Why would the board want to chose the manager when they know they are clueless at the football side. It just doesn't make any sense at all. What do they gain from it?

They've gained nothing but it's what they have done for every managerial appointment since Fernandes came in.
Les Ferdinand on 17:49 - Apr 2 with 1151 viewsDorse

Les Ferdinand on 14:19 - Apr 2 by PunteR

Feel free to share some facts on here then smegma.

The Blue Whale has the largest penis in the natural world?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Les Ferdinand on 18:03 - Apr 2 with 1129 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand on 17:49 - Apr 2 by Dorse

Les Ferdinand on 18:14 - Apr 2 with 1110 viewstimcocking

Les Ferdinand on 17:14 - Apr 2 by PunteR

If it was my money, i'd be choosing, irrespective of whether or not it was a good.

Perhaps you don't realise it, but i think that would apply to almost everybody who could afford to own a football club.

For a start, people like this will normally assume they know better than other people, as they usually do.

I mean, what if your advisors recommend Harry Redknapp? You'd have to tell them to fcuk right off.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 18:19]
Les Ferdinand on 18:22 - Apr 2 with 1084 viewsToast_R

Today i finally hung up my signed Les Ferdinand photo collage that I was given as a gift on my 40th last month. It would be rather typical if was to leave the club now.
Les Ferdinand on 18:28 - Apr 2 with 1071 viewssmegma

Is there an unnatural world ??
Les Ferdinand on 19:28 - Apr 2 with 1009 viewsNorthLondonR

Les Ferdinand on 09:39 - Apr 2 by CroydonCaptJack

Is the music 'Promised Land' by Joe Smooth L?

Broken Land by the Adventures?
Les Ferdinand on 19:36 - Apr 2 with 990 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Les reminds me of Chandler in Friends. Though it's pretty obvious, no one is sure what he does for a living.
Les Ferdinand on 20:40 - Apr 2 with 925 viewsrsonist

Les Ferdinand on 19:36 - Apr 2 by Benny_the_Ball

Les reminds me of Chandler in Friends. Though it's pretty obvious, no one is sure what he does for a living.

Heard he switched to advertising. Wrote the popular "it was Steve all along" slogan.
Les Ferdinand on 21:31 - Apr 2 with 865 viewsNortholt_Rs

….and the biggest minge I guess...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Les Ferdinand on 21:38 - Apr 2 with 852 viewsWokingR

Les Ferdinand on 21:31 - Apr 2 by Northolt_Rs

….and the biggest minge I guess...

No, there's a bloke in my office who claims that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024