Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump 09:43 - Oct 27 with 115574 viewsHooparoo

An Australian professor of Data Analytics from Griffith University who predicted Trump’s first win, the Australian Federal Election(when all the polls said the opposite) and Brexit has called it - Trump will be re-elected for another 4 years. You heard it here first.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Trump on 08:49 - Nov 5 with 2172 viewsBAWHoops

Trump on 17:59 - Nov 4 by Northernr

I could do a fcking essay on this but three of the things that irritate me about modern journalism the most, feed into people losing trust in the journalists, and also add fuel to the "evil MSM" fire, are these...

1 - Sourcing and checking. You don't publish a single sourced story, you don't report something an unnamed anonymous source has whispered to you unless you check it, and you get both sides of the story. You check basically. You make sure it's true. This seems to have been lost in the quest to be first to Tweet it out. Stuff now gets Tweeted out immediately as fact, without checking and double and triple sourcing. So Dom wants something out, he says to Laura Kuennesberg "x y z", she Tweets "government sources say this is x y z" and then that's it. It does my fcking nut. If I took that to my editors on local papers ten years ago they'd have said "of course, he would say that wouldn't he, get it checked please". Now it just gets whacked out, and who cares if it's true?

2 - The cult of opinion over fact. News bulletins are now just a journalist in the studio talking to another journlist standing in front of something. And they're packed with vox pops. The BBC, as you say, needs to be above this, but how many fcking Brexit reports did you see where they're sticking the microphone under somebody in a bloody snooker club in Redcar, or a coffee shop in Muswell Hill. I Do. Not. Care. what these people think about this, I want to know what this is, I want to know facts. You're the news, not TalkSport. That TalkSport model of getting two people of opposing points of view to yell at each other, even when one of the points of view is obviously wrong, now prevails over what is actually the fact of the matter here.

3 - Activists presented as 'journalists'. Tom Harwood is not a journalist. Darren Grimes is not a journalist. Owen Jones is not a journalist. But they're presented as such, and given enormous platforms to put forward horrendously biased, often incorrect, points of views, dressed up as journalism. It's not.

Clive, did you watch any of CNN's election coverage? Was superb and completely steered away from this.
Was 75% data and fact driven. No stupid Vox Pop's, or mouthpieces. When Trump went on his rant about fraud they called it out immediately.
Was incredibly refreshing and the complete antidote to how news has been made the last few years.
As for the guys on the touch screen, wow. They knew the minutia of every county in America, flagged what to look for etc.

It really was stunning

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Trump on 09:07 - Nov 5 with 2114 viewsPhildo

Trump on 08:49 - Nov 5 by BAWHoops

Clive, did you watch any of CNN's election coverage? Was superb and completely steered away from this.
Was 75% data and fact driven. No stupid Vox Pop's, or mouthpieces. When Trump went on his rant about fraud they called it out immediately.
Was incredibly refreshing and the complete antidote to how news has been made the last few years.
As for the guys on the touch screen, wow. They knew the minutia of every county in America, flagged what to look for etc.

It really was stunning

I watched a bit of ABC then caught CNN and thought it was excellent. The BBC TV coverage was embarrassingly bad. I remember my father in law who had been a lifelong diplomat telling me 20 years ago that the UK needed the BBC more than it needed the particular government of the day and I always tried to defend it from attacks from both sides. Now I am not so sure as it seems to have completely lost its way.
Trump on 09:34 - Nov 5 with 2060 viewsderbyhoop

I could do a fcking essay on this but three of the things that irritate me about modern journalism the most, feed into people losing trust in the journalists, and also add fuel to the "evil MSM" fire, are these...

1 - Sourcing and checking. You don't publish a single sourced story, you don't report something an unnamed anonymous source has whispered to you unless you check it, and you get both sides of the story. You check basically. You make sure it's true. This seems to have been lost in the quest to be first to Tweet it out. Stuff now gets Tweeted out immediately as fact, without checking and double and triple sourcing. So Dom wants something out, he says to Laura Kuennesberg "x y z", she Tweets "government sources say this is x y z" and then that's it. It does my fcking nut. If I took that to my editors on local papers ten years ago they'd have said "of course, he would say that wouldn't he, get it checked please". Now it just gets whacked out, and who cares if it's true?

2 - The cult of opinion over fact. News bulletins are now just a journalist in the studio talking to another journlist standing in front of something. And they're packed with vox pops. The BBC, as you say, needs to be above this, but how many fcking Brexit reports did you see where they're sticking the microphone under somebody in a bloody snooker club in Redcar, or a coffee shop in Muswell Hill. I Do. Not. Care. what these people think about this, I want to know what this is, I want to know facts. You're the news, not TalkSport. That TalkSport model of getting two people of opposing points of view to yell at each other, even when one of the points of view is obviously wrong, now prevails over what is actually the fact of the matter here.

3 - Activists presented as 'journalists'. Tom Harwood is not a journalist. Darren Grimes is not a journalist. Owen Jones is not a journalist. But they're presented as such, and given enormous platforms to put forward horrendously biased, often incorrect, points of views, dressed up as journalism. It's not.

Amen to that.

Harwood/Grimes vs Owen Jones are 2 sides of the same coin.
The best political commentator I've read recently is Tony Connelly from RTE. I respect Katya Adler, as well. She presents the view from Brussels and gets pilloried for spouting EU propaganda, when it is just news from a non-UK partisan point of view.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Trump on 09:54 - Nov 5 with 2004 viewsdaveB

Trump on 17:42 - Nov 4 by Juzzie

You'd expect the BBC to be above all that but they're just the same.....sensationalism is what it's all about the days.

In the early days of the first lockdown and panic buying was just starting to happen, you'd think the media outlets such as the BBC would try and calm it down by saying something along the lines of "We're hearing reports of people stockpiling. Please don't. The supply chain is good, the shops are open please carry on as normal" etc etc.
but they didn't , they went along with the hysteria and it was only a couple of days later did they start taking the sensible narrative. Too late by then. Well fkin done.

All the news shows i saw at the time on BBC, ITV and Channel 4 were all saying that you shouldn't panic buy and had interviews with supermarkets saying they have loads of supply so calm down. They did show the maniacs all panic buying and that is all people remember
Trump on 09:57 - Nov 5 with 1998 viewsGaryT

Trump on 08:13 - Nov 5 by nix

I think I read somewhere they've been told they weren't allowed to do this. Trump wanted to make it as difficult as possible to count the postal votes as they're believed to be disproportionately Democratic votes.

I read that 46 states could process their mail in ballots before election day but the rest were stopped from doing so. One of the joys of each state being a law unto themselves and at the mercy of corrupting powers.
Trump on 09:59 - Nov 5 with 1987 viewsGloryHunter

Just reading that anyone with a previous criminal conviction cannot vote in US elections. 5.2 million people permanently disenfranchised - presumably largely non-white males.

“These voting restrictions contravene the principle of universal suffrage,” the report concluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/04/international-observers-us-elect
Trump on 10:03 - Nov 5 with 1974 viewsnix

Trump on 09:57 - Nov 5 by GaryT

I read that 46 states could process their mail in ballots before election day but the rest were stopped from doing so. One of the joys of each state being a law unto themselves and at the mercy of corrupting powers.

Thanks for clarifying Gary. Yes it's shocking how political those who are supposed to uphold and rule on the law, as opposed to make the laws, in the US are.
Trump on 10:10 - Nov 5 with 1949 viewsGloryHunter

Trump on 10:03 - Nov 5 by nix

Thanks for clarifying Gary. Yes it's shocking how political those who are supposed to uphold and rule on the law, as opposed to make the laws, in the US are.

That's what you get when judges are elected by the population, or appointed by the Government. The Tories want to bring in the same process in the UK.
Login to get fewer ads

Trump on 10:12 - Nov 5 with 1943 viewsrobith

Trump on 17:42 - Nov 4 by Juzzie

You'd expect the BBC to be above all that but they're just the same.....sensationalism is what it's all about the days.

In the early days of the first lockdown and panic buying was just starting to happen, you'd think the media outlets such as the BBC would try and calm it down by saying something along the lines of "We're hearing reports of people stockpiling. Please don't. The supply chain is good, the shops are open please carry on as normal" etc etc.
but they didn't , they went along with the hysteria and it was only a couple of days later did they start taking the sensible narrative. Too late by then. Well fkin done.

the BBC believe balance is "getting two extreme to shout at each other" and impartiality is "being completely silent".

It's always had an establishment bias - it was biased towards Blair, then biased towards Cameron which is to be expected. But recently it's gone completely off the deep end
Trump on 10:18 - Nov 5 with 1924 viewshook_hoops

Trump on 08:49 - Nov 5 by BAWHoops

It really was stunning

Yes, I watched the CNN coverage yesterday and thought it was excellent. Objective, fact based journalism, that's why Trump hates CNN.
Trump on 10:19 - Nov 5 with 1920 viewsMrSheen

Trump on 09:59 - Nov 5 by GloryHunter

Just reading that anyone with a previous criminal conviction cannot vote in US elections. 5.2 million people permanently disenfranchised - presumably largely non-white males.

“These voting restrictions contravene the principle of universal suffrage,” the report concluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/04/international-observers-us-elect

3 states out of 50, Iowa, Kentucky and Virginia, permanently bar all convicted criminals from voting. Florida restored the franchise to released prisoners in 2018, potentially re-enfranchising 1.4m voters. 48 states have restrictions based on the nature of the crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/is-america-a-democracy-if-so-why

Over 2m incarcerated prisoners, including in pre-trial detention, are also denied the vote, as they are here and in other European countries.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2020.html

The racial composition of the prison population, and an indication of continuing restrictions, can be seen here.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/30/shrinking-gap-between-number-of
Trump on 10:26 - Nov 5 with 1897 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Trump on 09:34 - Nov 5 by derbyhoop

Amen to that.

Harwood/Grimes vs Owen Jones are 2 sides of the same coin.
The best political commentator I've read recently is Tony Connelly from RTE. I respect Katya Adler, as well. She presents the view from Brussels and gets pilloried for spouting EU propaganda, when it is just news from a non-UK partisan point of view.

Lots of the Left dislike Owen Jones by the way and consider him a fair weather comrade. He called for Corbyn to resign several times in 2016 and has been a huge critic post election.

You’ll struggle to find a ‘left’ equivalent of Grimes or Harwood.

I think his partisanship is a bit overstated.

Trump on 10:34 - Nov 5 with 1874 viewsMrSheen

Trump on 10:18 - Nov 5 by hook_hoops

Yes, I watched the CNN coverage yesterday and thought it was excellent. Objective, fact based journalism, that's why Trump hates CNN.

I preferred bedtime to watching the live coverage, but I couldn't resist posting this.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cnn-fiery-but-mostly-peaceful-protests-parodies

My favourite...

Trump on 10:41 - Nov 5 with 1848 viewsGloryHunter

Trump on 10:19 - Nov 5 by MrSheen

3 states out of 50, Iowa, Kentucky and Virginia, permanently bar all convicted criminals from voting. Florida restored the franchise to released prisoners in 2018, potentially re-enfranchising 1.4m voters. 48 states have restrictions based on the nature of the crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/07/is-america-a-democracy-if-so-why

Over 2m incarcerated prisoners, including in pre-trial detention, are also denied the vote, as they are here and in other European countries.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2020.html

The racial composition of the prison population, and an indication of continuing restrictions, can be seen here.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/30/shrinking-gap-between-number-of

"Over 2m incarcerated prisoners, including in pre-trial detention, are also denied the vote, as they are here and in other European countries. "

I have always thought it's wrong that prisoners cannot vote (same as homeless people). These are groups whose lives have been strongly negatively affected by the political system they grew up in.
Trump on 11:20 - Nov 5 with 1791 viewsToast_R

Trump on 10:26 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Lots of the Left dislike Owen Jones by the way and consider him a fair weather comrade. He called for Corbyn to resign several times in 2016 and has been a huge critic post election.

He was right about that I suppose
Trump on 11:30 - Nov 5 with 1761 viewsfrancisbowles

The BBC has Trump still on 243, Politico has him on 264. I know that the BBC is only counting confirmed results but what states have been added to the Politico figure and how many ECVs do they carry each?
Trump on 11:35 - Nov 5 with 1743 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trump on 11:30 - Nov 5 by francisbowles

The BBC has Trump still on 243, Politico has him on 264. I know that the BBC is only counting confirmed results but what states have been added to the Politico figure and how many ECVs do they carry each?

Most likely:

Wisconsin 10
Arizona 11

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trump on 11:38 - Nov 5 with 1730 viewsrobith

Trump on 11:30 - Nov 5 by francisbowles

everyone is only using confirmed but some are using abc and some are using AP which is the gap. BBC currently don't have Wis and AZ.

And I presume you mean Biden, giving man a heart attack
Trump on 11:45 - Nov 5 with 1709 viewsEastR

Trump on 11:35 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Most likely:

Wisconsin 10
Arizona 11

Correct Brian.

Some of the new agencies have called those states while others are waiting for more results from them.
Arizona has narrowed in Trump's favour but Biden still should squeak it.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Trump on 11:55 - Nov 5 with 1682 viewshantssi

Trump on 10:26 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is he old enough to be a journalist?
Looks like he should be in 6th Form College!
Or am I just getting old?
Trump on 11:56 - Nov 5 with 1668 viewsrobith

Trump on 11:57 - Nov 5 with 1666 viewsEastR

Fact checking has sadly become a casualty of 24 hour news and the clamour for instant social media hits.

Spouting off on social media and posting on the internet doesn't make anyone either 'a commentator' or a journalist, although that benchmark seems to have reached a new low.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Trump on 12:01 - Nov 5 with 1648 viewsJuzzie

Trump on 09:54 - Nov 5 by daveB

All the news shows i saw at the time on BBC, ITV and Channel 4 were all saying that you shouldn't panic buy and had interviews with supermarkets saying they have loads of supply so calm down. They did show the maniacs all panic buying and that is all people remember

I just remember watching BBC Breakfast one day and it was all about the panic. It was a few days later that they started to ask people to be sensible etc. They should have done that in the first place.
Trump on 12:05 - Nov 5 with 1629 viewsTheChef

Trump on 12:01 - Nov 5 by Juzzie

I just remember watching BBC Breakfast one day and it was all about the panic. It was a few days later that they started to ask people to be sensible etc. They should have done that in the first place.

Don't panic till I say panic, etc.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Trump on 12:21 - Nov 5 with 1588 viewsJuzzie

Trump on 12:05 - Nov 5 by TheChef

Don't panic till I say panic, etc.

For those old enough to remember....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024