Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niko 07:41 - Dec 22 with 7583 viewsGloucs_R

Got rinsed on the WLS podcast.

Why did we give him a 4 year contract?
Did we really think a player who had been very average at lower league clubs could step up and replace Manning?
Or do you think MW didn't judge the Wallace situation very well?

Hard to tell what he's like on TV as I can't see his off the ball movement, those who have seen him.... Is there any hope? Were the panel being harsh on him?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 7:49]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Niko on 07:50 - Dec 22 with 4334 viewsWatford_Ranger

Having not heard it, probably.

There’s something there for sure. Not brilliant at anything but not terrible at anything. Certainly not our biggest concern.

I doubt it was ever the plan to give him this many games but overall he’s been fine. Lots to work on of course and he might prove long term not to be up to it but it’s another player with barely an appearance at this level expected to put in 30+ in a short period of time.
Niko on 07:53 - Dec 22 with 4321 viewsGloucs_R

Niko on 07:50 - Dec 22 by Watford_Ranger

Having not heard it, probably.

There’s something there for sure. Not brilliant at anything but not terrible at anything. Certainly not our biggest concern.

I doubt it was ever the plan to give him this many games but overall he’s been fine. Lots to work on of course and he might prove long term not to be up to it but it’s another player with barely an appearance at this level expected to put in 30+ in a short period of time.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Niko on 07:59 - Dec 22 with 4301 viewscollegeranger

Harsh - I first saw him against Blackpool away under McLaren and he was way out of his depth even against a League One side.

The two live games I saw this season however he has come on a long way and he was OK.

Compared to Calamity Kane on the other side he is far better. IMHO he needs to go on a "Sir Les" high protein diet and get in the gym and do weights as he looks a bit lightweight. However as with Kane and Kakay we are asking these players to be/have
1. attacking midfield wingers
2. deliver a good cross
3. be a great defender
4. have a V8 engine to get up and down.
They simply don't have all 4 - none of them!

Niko has 3 and 4! Kakay has 3 and 4 and Kane has 2 only.

Not sure Wallace has any of them!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 8:01]
Niko on 08:17 - Dec 22 with 4258 viewsdaveB

I don't think he's as bad as they made out but he's not great either.
Niko on 08:37 - Dec 22 with 4186 viewsstevec

Is WLS the name of the podcast?

Apart from LFW and our sound cloud podcast thingy, I struggle to navigate the more complicated stuff.

Correction, I can’t even navigate this thread 😄

Will have a listen
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 10:03]
Niko on 08:43 - Dec 22 with 4165 viewsPhildo

Hard not to agree that their central points - we need a midfielder and a left back in January - are correct though. Gallen repeatedly making the point we paid 2m for Bonne and have not started him yet. He know what went on given his brother is at Charlton.
Niko on 09:36 - Dec 22 with 3996 viewsfrancisbowles

Well he's a better defender than Manning and quite tidy in possession.
Niko on 09:38 - Dec 22 with 3983 viewskernowhoop

Did he not play for Finland recently, when they beat France 2-0?
Login to get fewer ads

Niko on 09:46 - Dec 22 with 3949 viewsdanehoop

Niko on 08:43 - Dec 22 by Phildo

Hard not to agree that their central points - we need a midfielder and a left back in January - are correct though. Gallen repeatedly making the point we paid 2m for Bonne and have not started him yet. He know what went on given his brother is at Charlton.

We certainly didnt pay £2M for Bonne.

Never knowingly understood

Niko on 09:47 - Dec 22 with 3949 viewsQPROslo

Niko on 07:59 - Dec 22 by collegeranger

Harsh - I first saw him against Blackpool away under McLaren and he was way out of his depth even against a League One side.

The two live games I saw this season however he has come on a long way and he was OK.

Compared to Calamity Kane on the other side he is far better. IMHO he needs to go on a "Sir Les" high protein diet and get in the gym and do weights as he looks a bit lightweight. However as with Kane and Kakay we are asking these players to be/have
1. attacking midfield wingers
2. deliver a good cross
3. be a great defender
4. have a V8 engine to get up and down.
They simply don't have all 4 - none of them!

Niko has 3 and 4! Kakay has 3 and 4 and Kane has 2 only.

Not sure Wallace has any of them!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 8:01]

I reckon Wallace has the No 2, probably the best of the 4 of them.
Niko on 11:00 - Dec 22 with 3816 viewsMedwayR

Interms of ability, Hamalainen and Kakay are average Championship players. If we were looking to build a squad capable of pushing for promotion they'd be good cover but as we're seemingly intent on forever being midtable they're decent enough for the time being. They're on long contracts but I'd imagine low wages so we can't really lose in this situation.

Poll: Who’s better?

Niko on 11:18 - Dec 22 with 3775 viewsLongsufferingR

Niko on 09:38 - Dec 22 by kernowhoop

Did he not play for Finland recently, when they beat France 2-0?

Yes, and that's part of the point of the four year deal. He's still developing and has come one a lot since we first saw him in the first team. Current international and while he still makes the odd error, I think he's more than capable of progressing like Furlong did and earning us some decent money.

Imagine if we only had him on a one year deal and his development progressed and we were left with another Manning situation? Criticism of the 4 year deal is way off imo.
Niko on 11:28 - Dec 22 with 3742 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Full disclosure I’ve not heard the podcast but other than the Toney goal I don’t think he’s put a foot wrong really.
Niko on 11:38 - Dec 22 with 3708 viewshantssi

Niko on 11:00 - Dec 22 by MedwayR

Interms of ability, Hamalainen and Kakay are average Championship players. If we were looking to build a squad capable of pushing for promotion they'd be good cover but as we're seemingly intent on forever being midtable they're decent enough for the time being. They're on long contracts but I'd imagine low wages so we can't really lose in this situation.

If they’re good cover where on earth are we getting the money from to buy better?
Niko on 11:39 - Dec 22 with 3702 viewsMedwayR

Niko on 11:38 - Dec 22 by hantssi

If they’re good cover where on earth are we getting the money from to buy better?

When we sell Chair for tens and tens of millions in the summer...

Poll: Who’s better?

Niko on 11:49 - Dec 22 with 3678 viewsstevec

Niko on 11:18 - Dec 22 by LongsufferingR

Yes, and that's part of the point of the four year deal. He's still developing and has come one a lot since we first saw him in the first team. Current international and while he still makes the odd error, I think he's more than capable of progressing like Furlong did and earning us some decent money.

Imagine if we only had him on a one year deal and his development progressed and we were left with another Manning situation? Criticism of the 4 year deal is way off imo.

I agree with Gallen and the other guy on panel, it’s not like Barca will be coming in for him and if we get the same 250k in we got for Manning we’d have done well.

If we’re handing out 4 year deals then give them to Chair, Dickie and BOS before Niko and Kakay. Personally suspect there’s more to this than we will ever get to hear about.
Niko on 11:56 - Dec 22 with 3663 viewsrsonist

Niko on 11:49 - Dec 22 by stevec

I agree with Gallen and the other guy on panel, it’s not like Barca will be coming in for him and if we get the same 250k in we got for Manning we’d have done well.

If we’re handing out 4 year deals then give them to Chair, Dickie and BOS before Niko and Kakay. Personally suspect there’s more to this than we will ever get to hear about.

Can't believe no one's thought of giving BOS a new deal, that's a great idea.
Niko on 12:10 - Dec 22 with 3622 views1JD

Niko on 09:46 - Dec 22 by danehoop

From the horses mouth.

“There will always be good and bad said about you — people who slag me or love me. You can be the best player and there is someone who will always have something negative to say. But what would they do in my position? You’ve got to be put in my position to answer that. I grew up on a council estate in Ipswich. I played for a good club in Colchester but dropped down because I didn’t like football — I rebuilt my career and three years later I’ve been sold for £2million and I’m in the Championship”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-macauley-bonne-on-ruthless-decision-to-
Niko on 12:58 - Dec 22 with 3525 viewshantssi

Steve, it’s been said before and on this thread, if, and it’s a big if, they turn out to be that good (BOS only came alive for half a season last year) people would be moaning about not offering them longer deals!
I also think you’ll find that Dickie is on a 3+1 year deal as is Chair.
The club just can’t seem to win.
Niko on 13:06 - Dec 22 with 3498 viewsrobith

Doubt if you add up Kakay and Niko's 4 years they'll cover 18 months of what BOS wants tbh.

Contract length =/= contract cost
Niko on 13:08 - Dec 22 with 3492 viewsrobith

Haven't listened (indeed didn't even know that they have one) but ever since we sacked his brother struggle to listen to Gallen on anything to do with the club
Niko on 13:13 - Dec 22 with 3478 viewstraininvain

I’ve been saying this for a while, I think you might get away with starting one of Niko and Kakay but not both of them. They’re too inexperienced and the jury is out on whether they’re good enough. It’s too risky to play them both.
Niko on 13:14 - Dec 22 with 3467 viewsbosh67

Niko on 09:46 - Dec 22 by danehoop

I believe the fee was about £700K plus add ons that could total £2m over the contract.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Niko on 13:17 - Dec 22 with 3454 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Absolutely this. Kakay and Niko are on peanuts and tying them to 4-yr deals gives us cheap and basic cover for reliable Championship-level players.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Niko on 13:35 - Dec 22 with 3402 viewsPinnerPaul

Niko on 13:17 - Dec 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Absolutely this. Kakay and Niko are on peanuts and tying them to 4-yr deals gives us cheap and basic cover for reliable Championship-level players.

Spot on Brian - amazed that some have written them off already, while with almost the same breath bemoaning the fact that Bettache doesn't get any game time!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024