Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barton. 20:53 - Feb 10 with 7555 viewsPaddyhoops

Joey Barton confesses to Robbie Fowler's podcast that we were his least favourite club, signed for Financial reasons and reckoned 80% of fans disliked him.
Jaysus joey tell it like it feckin is!!
Barton. on 09:18 - Feb 11 with 1740 viewsEastR

Barton. on 00:02 - Feb 11 by thame_hoops

Something I never understood, the first game of our promotion season, Sheffield Wednesday at home? He was cheered onto the pitch. And treated like a hero. Despite saying he wouldn’t play for us in the championship. I never understood why the fans got behind him so much. I do get it’s counter-productive to boo a player on your own team, when you are wanting to win. But still?

Agreed. I could never understand how Barton was shown any appreciation by the fan base, but I do think sometimes we live in a bit of an echo chamber on forums like this. In the weeks leading up to Redknapp’s appointment I recall going to games and people around me were genuinely excited at the prospect of what the overwhelming majority of us here would have agreed was a bad move.

Ex-players, well-liked by the fan base but who have spoken highly of Barton, have had a little of that shine tarnished by their association in my eyes. I just don’t get it.

The only one on the inside that gives an insight as to what many of us thought looking in is Onuoha.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Barton. on 09:41 - Feb 11 with 1693 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Just hoping Barton's eventual court appearance results in an appropriate staycation at Her Majesty's pleasure...
Barton. on 09:58 - Feb 11 with 1658 viewsPhildo

No surprise he made his feelings clear about our club when he was here, under contract but on loan to Marseille and on a number of other occasions. The worm.
Barton. on 10:08 - Feb 11 with 1618 viewsJamesB1979

One Joey Barton....thank god for that. A man who managed to destroy our promotion winning dressing room in less than 6 months. Impressive.
Barton. on 10:15 - Feb 11 with 1601 viewsgigiisourgod

Barton. on 09:05 - Feb 11 by soops

Average player.
Despicable human.
The only good thing he did was introducing Steve Black to help compensate for the lack of management ability at the time.

I really despise myself for commenting on this thread but anyway...

Yeah that’s the thing for me it annoys me the perception that QPR fans hate Barton because he signed for the money. This will be no different to Clint Hill, Shaun Derry, Heider Helgusson and the rest. This is absolutely not the reason he is hated in my book. After he signed he swanned about like he was better than the place (as did Adel) but his performances never warranted the arrogance (unlike Adel). He was mediocre in a below mediocre team for large parts of his career with us and the only time for me (Chelsea game excluded) where he showed himself to be a consistently good player was at Championship level. However, the disrespect he showed Warnock and Adel who did far more for the club than he did will never be forgotten. So for me, it is nothing to do with the money and everything to do with his delusional, disruptive and disrespectful behaviour whilst at the club. Will never be welcomed back with me and it annoys me that he is probably delusional enough to think the reason he is not liked is because he ‘signed for the money’ and this shows how ‘thick football fans are because 80% of players will sign for the club for the money’.

Feel dirty wasting 5 minutes on him now.
Barton. on 10:32 - Feb 11 with 1566 viewsJuzzie

Person who gets a kick in life out of deliberately winding people up is seemingly surprised that 80% of fans of a particular club don't like him.

People fall for this schit??

This is why clubs shouldn't be dishing out stupid/desperate contracts to players because it's clear they only sign for the money and someone like him has already known character issues so it was only going to go one way.

He says he captained QPR to promotion. Yeah, not because he was captain material but because he has a big baby ego that needed satisfying. Not dissimilar to Adel but at least Adel had supreme talent and actual done extraordinary things particularly in 2010/11.

Barton, always the victim.
Boo-hoo, now please do fk off.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:50]
Barton. on 10:33 - Feb 11 with 1566 viewsfrancisbowles

Barton. on 22:49 - Feb 10 by stainrods_elbow

He was an utter twunt in that crucial, storming, heart-breaking then ultimately not crucial game, but I feel if anything more aggrieved at how the (half-blind, if not actually bent) ref and his so-called assistants either missed or else noted and failed to punish Tevez' blatant jump and slap on Barton previously, which should have been a straight red. As it was, Tevez got exactly what he wanted with their help, and a bit more besides, thanks to Barton's post-card theatricals.

That said, he was a mediocre player for us a lot of the time, a liability far too often, and, on his own admission, only with us for the money - though, unlike most players, at least he admitted it, I suppose. (Ultimately, even a 'good egg' like Onouha, left us for the same reason.) If he could pass and strike a ball as much as he talks, he might have been something.

Post-football, he's toxic, but interesting.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 22:53]

Toxic, I would agree with but not just post football. Warnock's biggest mistake, by a million miles, was bringing him into the club. It ultimately cost him his job as he (allegedly) 'got in Fernandes ear'. After the year's rehab in Marseille, when no one else would touch him, he came back and we have heard recently that someone, (guess who?) was very vocal in the dressing room in dismissing Redknapp's plan to play with three at the back, after a week of the season and the recruitment of Rio Ferdinand (mom in his first game) and Isla for the system.

Well done to Sean Dyche, who managed to get him to play the role he needed him to, with some success and without major incident. He must run a very tight dressing room.

Agree with your first two paragraphs as well. However, you have forgotten to call out the league and the FA as well. Everyone could see on the replays what Tevez had done. It was a red card offence and deserved the usual three match ban but they reviewed it and decided 'no further action'. I can only guess they didn't want to give Barton any room for mitigation in an appeal. They are almost as cowardly as he is.
Barton. on 10:56 - Feb 11 with 1502 viewsNed_Kennedys

The usual histrionic abuse on here every time the guy is mentioned...

He was one of just a large number of mediocre footballers who came for the money during that era: blame those who went out throwing money at average or past it footballers, not the players.

None of us know the real person so ridiculous comments saying we should think less of players like Clint Hill for being his friend is just laughable IMO.
Login to get fewer ads

Barton. on 11:08 - Feb 11 with 1480 viewsgigiisourgod

Barton. on 10:56 - Feb 11 by Ned_Kennedys

He was one of just a large number of mediocre footballers who came for the money during that era: blame those who went out throwing money at average or past it footballers, not the players.

None of us know the real person so ridiculous comments saying we should think less of players like Clint Hill for being his friend is just laughable IMO.

Very fair point Ned. However, would you say you were happy with his conduct on or off the pitch whilst he was meant to be captaining the club? Fair, Adel’s behaviour was disgusting, but his performances were sublime.
Barton. on 11:12 - Feb 11 with 1473 viewssimmo

A crap footballer and even worse human being. One of the worst signings in our history for all kinds of reasons.

The feeling is mutual, Joey - and it's higher than 80% you absolute cúnt.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Barton. on 11:12 - Feb 11 with 1472 viewsfrancisbowles

Barton. on 10:56 - Feb 11 by Ned_Kennedys

He was the worst of a bad bunch.
He has had many a violent incident on and off the pitch, before, during and after his time with us.
He let us down on the pitch a number of times.
He undermined at least two of our managers.
He was/is delusional about his own abilities and very quick to castigate others when they don't meet the very high standards they he may aspire to but rarely, if ever achieves.
He continually bad mouths the club we all love, even though it was forgiving of his catastrophes, remained loyal to him and made him a richer man.
He should be grateful that they tried to rehabilitate him after his mouthy sojourn in Marseille, which he wanted to make 'permanent' but no he seeks out every opportunity to gloat.

Still don't want to blame him?
Barton. on 11:18 - Feb 11 with 1458 viewssprocket

No time for Barton. Never did. Limited footballer. Not much of a role model for player or human.

What always struck me though was how former QPR players who played with him while he was at the club by and large liked him and spoke well of him.
Barton. on 11:20 - Feb 11 with 1451 viewsWestbourneR

Horrible person but a good, if not very good, centre mid player. Great touch, ball retention and high work rate and tackling. Really good short passing and a eye for a ball in behind.

Just because he wasn't liked people also dismiss him as footballer. He dragged us to promotion under Harry.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Barton. on 11:24 - Feb 11 with 1437 viewssprocket

Barton. on 11:20 - Feb 11 by WestbourneR

Horrible person but a good, if not very good, centre mid player. Great touch, ball retention and high work rate and tackling. Really good short passing and a eye for a ball in behind.

Just because he wasn't liked people also dismiss him as footballer. He dragged us to promotion under Harry.

really?
Barton. on 11:42 - Feb 11 with 1400 viewsTheChef

You forgot to mention - atrocious with set pieces.

He was the King of hitting the first man.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Barton. on 11:55 - Feb 11 with 1361 viewsNed_Kennedys

Barton. on 11:12 - Feb 11 by francisbowles

He was the worst of a bad bunch.
He has had many a violent incident on and off the pitch, before, during and after his time with us.
He let us down on the pitch a number of times.
He undermined at least two of our managers.
He was/is delusional about his own abilities and very quick to castigate others when they don't meet the very high standards they he may aspire to but rarely, if ever achieves.
He continually bad mouths the club we all love, even though it was forgiving of his catastrophes, remained loyal to him and made him a richer man.
He should be grateful that they tried to rehabilitate him after his mouthy sojourn in Marseille, which he wanted to make 'permanent' but no he seeks out every opportunity to gloat.

Still don't want to blame him?

I'm indifferent about him, he's long gone.
Still: at least a thread about him every few months allows the likes of Esox to get all hot under the collar and let out some hatred about a former football player.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 11:55]
Barton. on 12:06 - Feb 11 with 1341 viewsloftboy

His sending off at Manchester City, yep the game was as important as they come and he shouldn’t have reacted, how many times have you seen players sent off for minor handbags and turned round and said “if you’re going to get sent off at least make it worthwhile “ well he certainly did that!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Barton. on 12:11 - Feb 11 with 1329 viewsNorthernr

Interested to see how many more times this prck can cnt our club off and still have QPR fans giving it the "at least he cared" and "I'd have him back as manager".
Barton. on 12:19 - Feb 11 with 1301 viewsdaveB

His biggest crime is that my kids can't have their surname on their QPR shirts due to sharing it with that prat
Barton. on 12:32 - Feb 11 with 1278 viewsW7Ranger

Barton. on 10:32 - Feb 11 by Juzzie

Person who gets a kick in life out of deliberately winding people up is seemingly surprised that 80% of fans of a particular club don't like him.

People fall for this schit??

This is why clubs shouldn't be dishing out stupid/desperate contracts to players because it's clear they only sign for the money and someone like him has already known character issues so it was only going to go one way.

He says he captained QPR to promotion. Yeah, not because he was captain material but because he has a big baby ego that needed satisfying. Not dissimilar to Adel but at least Adel had supreme talent and actual done extraordinary things particularly in 2010/11.

Barton, always the victim.
Boo-hoo, now please do fk off.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:50]

"He says he captained QPR to promotion."

Really??? Wasn't Hill our Captain in 2014??
Barton. on 12:56 - Feb 11 with 1229 viewsdaveB

Barton. on 12:32 - Feb 11 by W7Ranger

He was, Barton was sacked as captain after the Man City game
Barton. on 12:57 - Feb 11 with 1223 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Promoted despite him, not because of him...
Barton. on 13:06 - Feb 11 with 1196 viewsTacticalR

If I may have a crack at the mystery of why some of the players we like get on with Joey Barton.

However psychopathic an individual may be, they usually have a charming side, which is shown to the people who they want to ally with or manipulate. We see that in politics, which is full of such scoundrels. I think it's this, plus Barton appears on the surface to be one of the (northern English) lads. I am guessing this is quite important in an age of the mass import of foreign players.

An added twist is that Premiership footballers are in a rather special position of being working-class millionaires. Perhaps Barton's self-glorifying doctrine of Nietzschean superheroes has a certain appeal in that milieu?

This is what he said about Mike Ashley:

"In their opinion we were paid workforce. They thought we were Sports Direct and we should do what the subordinates at Sports Direct do, forgetting they were dealing with 20-odd egos, probably 10 self-sufficient men in a position to make a number of different judgements."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/8925097/Joey

He's a rebel for the rich ("self-sufficient men").

All complete speculation on my part.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:15]

Air hostess clique

Barton. on 13:11 - Feb 11 with 1180 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Barton. on 13:06 - Feb 11 by TacticalR

If I may have a crack at the mystery of why some of the players we like get on with Joey Barton.

However psychopathic an individual may be, they usually have a charming side, which is shown to the people who they want to ally with or manipulate. We see that in politics, which is full of such scoundrels. I think it's this, plus Barton appears on the surface to be one of the (northern English) lads. I am guessing this is quite important in an age of the mass import of foreign players.

An added twist is that Premiership footballers are in a rather special position of being working-class millionaires. Perhaps Barton's self-glorifying doctrine of Nietzschean superheroes has a certain appeal in that milieu?

This is what he said about Mike Ashley:

"In their opinion we were paid workforce. They thought we were Sports Direct and we should do what the subordinates at Sports Direct do, forgetting they were dealing with 20-odd egos, probably 10 self-sufficient men in a position to make a number of different judgements."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/8925097/Joey

He's a rebel for the rich ("self-sufficient men").

All complete speculation on my part.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:15]

If I was a Clint Hill or a Bradley Orr in a sea of Ceasars and Bosingwas, I would definitely find solace on Barton island.
Barton. on 14:52 - Feb 11 with 1052 viewsJuzzie

Barton. on 12:32 - Feb 11 by W7Ranger

This is what he said;

“So QPR was tough, the fans didn’t particularly like me and I’ve still got 80% of the fanbase who don’t like me because I earned a lot of money even though I turned it around in the end and captained them to promotion."

Just goes to show what a liar/self deluded person he is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024