Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair jailed for a year 13:00 - Feb 23 with 54285 viewsDevonWhite

According to The Sun.
Chair jailed for a year on 17:51 - Feb 23 with 3552 viewsdaveB

Chair jailed for a year on 17:45 - Feb 23 by Northernr

The whole thing, as Padula says above, just sounds so weird, and there's clearly so many details we're missing. If he had a chance to bung the guy 16,000 euros to make it go away and didn't then he's a pillock.

yeah is such a weird case and if he had the chance he didn't just pay him off months ago that is bizarre

On the plus side they went early with the news so you haven't got to rewrite the match preview
Chair jailed for a year on 17:54 - Feb 23 with 3504 viewsE15Hoop

Chair jailed for a year on 17:37 - Feb 23 by saxbend

And as long as the club does have the option to keep quiet, then nothing affecting Chair's continued involvement at QPR can have happened. And even without a comment from the club we can at least wait for some legitimate piece of journalism that includes a quote from the person declaring a verdict and pronouncing a sentence (if there is one).

For now there's very little to talk about. If he plays tomorrow there is nothing at all to talk about.
[Post edited 23 Feb 17:39]

It definitely goes some way to explaining his general demeanour during recent games and in interviews afterwards, where he has looked particularly hangdog.

I personally would not be at all surprised to see him rested tomorrow, just from the viewpoint of keeping him out of the spotlight - although that in itself is potentially likely to make sure that the spotlight gets firmly thrust back on him, of course.

I imagine that Marti has had a quiet word with him and asked him how he feels. Could be that being out on the pitch amongst people who will by and large stick with him for the moment is a welcome distraction, especially now that a verdict has allegedly been cast. cast.
Chair jailed for a year on 17:57 - Feb 23 with 3464 viewsStainrod

Chair jailed for a year on 16:44 - Feb 23 by Northernr

But this is the thing, there hasn't been a trial like that, because he didn't show up to them.
That doesn't reflect well on him at all, like he just wasn't taking it seriously, but there hasn't been a trial with a prosecution and defence and testing of evidence like that.

I admit the details are incredibly sketchy so we are probably all talking absolute b*llocks (me included) but just because he didn't show up it doesn't mean there wasn't a trial. Assuming he was notified of the trial and he/ his lawyers failed to show up, and if under those circumstances you can be convicted in absentia under Belgium law, then arguably that's down to him - he would have had the opportunity to make his case but didn't. He is extremely well paid and if he didn't make it his priority to get proper legal advice then he is a very silly lad. I speak btw as a big Chair fan and get irritated by a lot of the footballing criticism of him and in every other regard than this he strikes me as model professional, even under Gareth Ainsworth. So I'm in no way slating him, but I think it is now getting a bit disingenuous to say "he might be guilty, he might be innocent".
Chair jailed for a year on 17:59 - Feb 23 with 3440 viewsJuzzie

Chair jailed for a year on 16:41 - Feb 23 by traininvain

With all due respect I’m assuming you’re not potentially worth £4m/£5m to your employer but I might be wrong!

Chair’s a valuable asset to QPR and was the subject of a £4m/£5m bid only a few weeks ago. The club should’ve been all over this with very expensive lawyers on the case to ensure a prized asset doesn’t end up in prison so that he’s available to try and help us avoid relegation before being sold in the summer.

Perhaps the club has this well under control but the reports about Chair only turning up to court today with a newly appointed lawyer suggests otherwise.

I'd say I'm worth a lot more! ;)

How do we know QPR weren't all over this? Again, too many assumptions being made based on very little knowledge.

Maybe the club begged on bended knees to get him to turn up sooner but he chose not to? Remember, players are extremely powerful these days. They know they hold the cards, not the club. They behave how they please, not how they are asked.

Again, we don't know.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:01 - Feb 23 with 3408 viewsNorthernr

Chair jailed for a year on 17:57 - Feb 23 by Stainrod

I admit the details are incredibly sketchy so we are probably all talking absolute b*llocks (me included) but just because he didn't show up it doesn't mean there wasn't a trial. Assuming he was notified of the trial and he/ his lawyers failed to show up, and if under those circumstances you can be convicted in absentia under Belgium law, then arguably that's down to him - he would have had the opportunity to make his case but didn't. He is extremely well paid and if he didn't make it his priority to get proper legal advice then he is a very silly lad. I speak btw as a big Chair fan and get irritated by a lot of the footballing criticism of him and in every other regard than this he strikes me as model professional, even under Gareth Ainsworth. So I'm in no way slating him, but I think it is now getting a bit disingenuous to say "he might be guilty, he might be innocent".

I don't disagree mate.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:04 - Feb 23 with 3346 viewsLongsufferingR

I picture Clive trying to write a preview for tomorrow much like a man trying to use a bucket and spade to get above an avalanche.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:10 - Feb 23 with 3241 viewsNikLeSaux

Apparently they’ve tabled an appeal. Not too sure he’s got a leg to stand on. I hope his lawyer couched his defence appropriately when he approached the bench. It all started when the driver got in an argument and tried to deck Chair. The club were hoping to sit on this until the end of the season. Hopefully we can still build a cushion between us and the bottom 3 by the end of the season without him.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:16 - Feb 23 with 3154 viewsNorthernr

Chair jailed for a year on 18:04 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

I picture Clive trying to write a preview for tomorrow much like a man trying to use a bucket and spade to get above an avalanche.

I really don't know how people do this job at other clubs. How dull.
We're on re-write #3.
Login to get fewer ads

Chair jailed for a year on 18:19 - Feb 23 with 3109 viewstraininvain

Chair jailed for a year on 17:59 - Feb 23 by Juzzie

I'd say I'm worth a lot more! ;)

How do we know QPR weren't all over this? Again, too many assumptions being made based on very little knowledge.

Maybe the club begged on bended knees to get him to turn up sooner but he chose not to? Remember, players are extremely powerful these days. They know they hold the cards, not the club. They behave how they please, not how they are asked.

Again, we don't know.

You might well be right and information is limited so it’s difficult to know exactly what’s gone on here. We’re all speculating on this thread but from the limited information available it doesn’t look like the case was taken very seriously and the club will ultimately pay a big price if Chair goes to prison.

Maybe the club begged Chair to attend court appearances and he didn’t listen or perhaps the club didn’t have a good handle on the situation and should’ve intervened with some expensive lawyers to try and protect their investment. The reason I suspect the latter is one piece of information we do know is that Chair belatedly attended court today with a new lawyer.

I suppose you could argue that the club didn’t want to get involved because it’s a personal matter and it wouldn’t reflect well on the club if he’s found guilty as appears to be the case subject to any appeal.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:32 - Feb 23 with 2912 viewsLandshark

Chair jailed for a year on 15:14 - Feb 23 by rbee

From a Belgian Paper

In the wake of this incident, the broader discussion about athlete behavior and accountability has been reignited. While the court's decision marks the end of legal proceedings, the conversation about the responsibilities of public figures and the impact of their actions on their lives and the lives of others is far from over.

So if Chair does jail time, his appeal is rejected, when released from prison what should the club do? Surely his QPR career would be over.

I'm guessing if he does serve jail time his career in England will be over. I doubt he would be able to get a work permit with a criminal conviction. Unless he's been in England so long he has a dual citizenship now but that's doubtful as he would have had to drop his Belgian or Moroccan citizenship.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:36 - Feb 23 with 2866 viewsE15Hoop

Chair jailed for a year on 18:10 - Feb 23 by NikLeSaux

Apparently they’ve tabled an appeal. Not too sure he’s got a leg to stand on. I hope his lawyer couched his defence appropriately when he approached the bench. It all started when the driver got in an argument and tried to deck Chair. The club were hoping to sit on this until the end of the season. Hopefully we can still build a cushion between us and the bottom 3 by the end of the season without him.

Let's also hope that this incident hasn't caused the squad to splinter into different factions, leading us back to one or two more wholly unwelcome wooden performances.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:41 - Feb 23 with 2814 viewsbrewers_hoop

Might have to rework the lyrics to his song 😬
Chair jailed for a year on 18:44 - Feb 23 with 2780 viewsMonkey_Roots

This had out of court settlement written all over it.

Not now though… what a plonker.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:53 - Feb 23 with 2670 viewsQPR_John

Chair jailed for a year on 18:44 - Feb 23 by Monkey_Roots

This had out of court settlement written all over it.

Not now though… what a plonker.

Can GBH be settled out of court.
Chair jailed for a year on 18:55 - Feb 23 with 2658 viewsRs_Holy

Oh well … just another day at the Rangers
Chair jailed for a year on 19:01 - Feb 23 with 2599 viewsbosh67

This has got a "You're gonna jail in the morning" chant from the Rotherham fans (both of them) written all over it tomorrow.

If the Belgium authorities do incarcerate him does the fact that they are paying for his board, lodgings and food over the next year come off our FFP exposure?

If there any use in offering to send Taylor Richards in his place?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Chair jailed for a year on 19:09 - Feb 23 with 2481 viewsHooparoo

Christ almighty are we cursed or something? Loftus Road must built on a bloody witch’s graveyard. What the fck else is gonna go wrong?

I give up 🤷🏻‍♂️

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Chair jailed for a year on 19:17 - Feb 23 with 2399 viewsTomS

Chair jailed for a year on 18:04 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

We're going to need a bigger spade!
Chair jailed for a year on 19:18 - Feb 23 with 2392 viewsE15Hoop

Chair jailed for a year on 19:09 - Feb 23 by Hooparoo

Christ almighty are we cursed or something? Loftus Road must built on a bloody witch’s graveyard. What the fck else is gonna go wrong?

I give up 🤷🏻‍♂️

To be fair, turns out its not just an R's thing..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/former-everton-star-li-tie-sentenced-to
Chair jailed for a year on 19:18 - Feb 23 with 2394 viewsytt28

Chair jailed for a year on 15:24 - Feb 23 by Northernr

Well this is the danger isn't it, of football tribalism, but also rushing to form judgements based on Google translated Belgian media reports.

Chair might well have behaved like a right privileged little dickhead, shoved in front of some poor family in the queue for a bus giving it the big "don't you know you I am" and then when pulled up politely on it gone absolutely bezerk and whacked a bloke over the head with a brick, preventing some poor lorry driver with five kids to feed from working, leaving him in hospital.

Or some horrible, sleazy truck driver has got a bit handsy with Chair's no doubt very attractive and bikini-clap young wife in the queue for a bus, got a justified slap for it and is now years later when he's realised the guy is worth a bit of money trying to coin it in.

Or something else entirely.

We don't know which it is. So difficult to start saying he's done nothing wrong, or on the other hand he should never play for the club again.

Exactly, we don't know which it is and until we do, we should hold off on judgement as you say. Even if he is back, he may well not be in the right frame of mind to play football, or the club may deem he is not mentally fit to play and we should respect the decision.
Chair jailed for a year on 19:29 - Feb 23 with 2232 viewsbosh67

Chair jailed for a year on 19:18 - Feb 23 by ytt28

Exactly, we don't know which it is and until we do, we should hold off on judgement as you say. Even if he is back, he may well not be in the right frame of mind to play football, or the club may deem he is not mentally fit to play and we should respect the decision.

I hope or think he'll play.

If this was a Rotherham player I would be concerned that they'd play and sign off with a hat-trick.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Chair jailed for a year on 19:32 - Feb 23 with 2192 viewsSonofpugwash

Does Belgium have the electric chair?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Chair jailed for a year on 19:47 - Feb 23 with 2031 viewsnumptydumpty

Chair jailed for a year on 17:30 - Feb 23 by Padulas_Shampoo

No mention of intensive care. And the only ‘detail’ is from a subjective quote seemingly attributed to nobody but presumably from ‘the prosecutor’.

All of it seems completely bizarre to me. Very few facts have been reported.

It said he was critical and in hospital for period of time

That's in the reports but I like everybody no idea what's true and what's not.

It said he was critical and for me that's intensive care. Certainly wasn't stating anything as facts.

Happened years ago. Could have settled out of court but trial that he never attended and now supposedly jailed. Not making anything up. Just saying what was reported.

Sounds nonsense. Because if a man had hit someone so hard with a rock that the man ended in a critical condition, he would be interviewed and held in custody. I might be stupid, but hitting someone with a rock is not the done thing.

Whatever it is or isn't this all doesn't seem real

I thought this was nonsense when it first came out and surprised this being reported as facts but if he did do it, I would not want him at our football club but its all seems somerhing very strange going on that is hard to fathom on so many levels.
[Post edited 23 Feb 20:05]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Chair jailed for a year on 19:58 - Feb 23 with 1905 viewsfrancisbowles

Chair jailed for a year on 17:35 - Feb 23 by kensalriser

That was my first reaction to the original story. How does a Belgian court claim jurisdiction over an event that no one seems to dispute took place in France?

I don't know Belgian law but it is possible for a British subject to be tried under British Law, in a British court for an offence commited overseas.
Chair jailed for a year on 20:05 - Feb 23 with 1806 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Chair jailed for a year on 19:01 - Feb 23 by bosh67

This has got a "You're gonna jail in the morning" chant from the Rotherham fans (both of them) written all over it tomorrow.

If the Belgium authorities do incarcerate him does the fact that they are paying for his board, lodgings and food over the next year come off our FFP exposure?

If there any use in offering to send Taylor Richards in his place?

I really like the idea of sending Richards in place of Chair. The fcking cnt can sit around all day at someone else's expense, he wouldn't feel any different.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024