Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's 15:10 - Jan 28 with 19569 viewsOldhamR

Just been reading Marc's thread about Greenford back in the day.

Well it got to to thinking about Express Dairies, they had a shop on Northolt Rd, I think on the corner with Park Lane, anyway outside this shop was a big metal vending machine. To my very best recollection this thing sold all sorts including bread.
My lovely Northern wife refuses to believe that we had such sophisticated items at our disposal, by chance anyone remember said machine or one similar?
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:20 - Jan 28 with 13823 viewsJonDoeman

1965 South Harrow.

It Is What It Is !!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:43 - Jan 28 with 13805 viewsTaxidermist

Yes. It was a monster of a machine. There was also a wood merchants (Aylesfords?), Monteith's Garage. Do you remember the vacuum money tube system of Geoffs the haberdashery shop, Saturday morning flicks 6d to get in with sing along before film. Genners the sports/toy shop. Stratman's the sweetshop near Welldon Park School. The old Sainsbury's with marble top counters with bacon slicing machines, cheese cut with wire and butter patted and wrapped in paper. There was a Co-op on corner of Eastcote Lane/Northolt Road where there was a hall above for dances. There was a wet fish shop (MacFisheries) In those days South Harrow had it all. Brought up on Eastcote Road with Shotknees and TOAC.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:44 - Jan 28 with 13801 viewsPinnerPaul

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:20 - Jan 28 by JonDoeman

1965 South Harrow.

Brings back happy memories of going shopping there with my Mum.

Tuesday - Northolt with a trip to Islip Manor Park thrown in, Thursday - South Harrow.

Happy days!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:46 - Jan 28 with 13726 viewsHarbour

Yes Islip Manor Park was great spent many a day there in my youth they had a strict parkee then. Plus the shops under the railway arches at South Harrow Station not to forget the Cinema in SH that used to be opposite where Sainsbury is now....Ceiling caved in during a film showing once...as you say Paul Happy Days...its a bit different now!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:49 - Jan 28 with 13720 viewsJuzzie

I'll hijack this thread rather than start a new one!....

I'm a Portobello Road lad (well, Colville Terrace by Ledbury Road to be exact) innit so also have happy memories of my area through the 70's. My mum had a Saturday antique stall up on Goldborne Road on the corner by the TV repair shop.

Portobello Road/Ladbroke Grove/Hamrax motorcycles/Goldborne Road, all a bit grim in places and rough at the edges but a great time to be there.

My old junior school, Colville School, is just to the front and right of this picture and Virgin Records (Vernon Yard) just behind and to the left.

[Post edited 28 Jan 2015 16:51]
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:00 - Jan 28 with 13666 viewsJonDoeman

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:44 - Jan 28 by PinnerPaul

Brings back happy memories of going shopping there with my Mum.

Tuesday - Northolt with a trip to Islip Manor Park thrown in, Thursday - South Harrow.

Happy days!

Looks cleaner than it does these days!

It Is What It Is !!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:02 - Jan 28 with 13664 viewsJonDoeman

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:49 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

I'm a Portobello Road lad (well, Colville Terrace by Ledbury Road to be exact) innit so also have happy memories of my area through the 70's. My mum had a Saturday antique stall up on Goldborne Road on the corner by the TV repair shop.

Portobello Road/Ladbroke Grove/Hamrax motorcycles/Goldborne Road, all a bit grim in places and rough at the edges but a great time to be there.

My old junior school, Colville School, is just to the front and right of this picture and Virgin Records (Vernon Yard) just behind and to the left.

Was there yesterday Juzzie for a coffee, love it around there . Must have been a buzzing area to get brought up in!

It Is What It Is !!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 22:32 - Jan 28 with 13505 viewsJuzzie

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:02 - Jan 28 by JonDoeman

Was there yesterday Juzzie for a coffee, love it around there . Must have been a buzzing area to get brought up in!

Tough times but so alive and vibrant what with Portobello Road market (a good few miles long) and the carnival.
The Rackman housing slums shoulder to shoulder with affluent Notting Hill just a few streets away.

At that time it was the most multicultural area in Britain. It wasn't without its problems but on the whole, it worked. You didn't have huge no-go areas like parts of London/uk today and that helped because everyone had to get on.
Lots of tv shows and films filmed around there and can be seen on re-runs of Minder, Sweeny, Professionals etc. all the scrap yards, bomb sites etc long gone but still in the memory of those who lived there.
A house around the corner form me in Powis Square was used as the facade for the film 'Performance' that starred Mick Jagger. Tourists would knock on the door hoping to see the grand hallway and home they lived in but dissapointed to be met with a cramped entrance hall, staircase and rusting babys pram!

I read a few years ago companies like Costa Coffee were trying to aggressively buy and force out those in ye old antique shops, the very people that made the area what it was. Turning it into some yuppie hell.
I go back every now and then, pop into my old local, the Earl of Lonsdale. But that, as with all the others, has since been tarted up. Some are more bistros than pubs.
Login to get fewer ads

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 22:51 - Jan 28 with 13477 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:43 - Jan 28 by Taxidermist

Yes. It was a monster of a machine. There was also a wood merchants (Aylesfords?), Monteith's Garage. Do you remember the vacuum money tube system of Geoffs the haberdashery shop, Saturday morning flicks 6d to get in with sing along before film. Genners the sports/toy shop. Stratman's the sweetshop near Welldon Park School. The old Sainsbury's with marble top counters with bacon slicing machines, cheese cut with wire and butter patted and wrapped in paper. There was a Co-op on corner of Eastcote Lane/Northolt Road where there was a hall above for dances. There was a wet fish shop (MacFisheries) In those days South Harrow had it all. Brought up on Eastcote Road with Shotknees and TOAC.

Special mention for Sellanby's - the world renowned second hand LP shop in the market under the Piccadilly Line arches.

Made their fortune out of Tears Of A Clown selling my Al Kooper "I Stand Alone" LP to Sellanbys four times in a month only for me to buy it back four times because at that stage it wasn't a UK release and I couldn't get a copy of it anywhere else. Sussed out it the little scrote selling Sellanbys my LP, when the last time I bought it from them, he'd left his doodles on the LP cover.

Sellanby had a terrific range of LP's there, many imports, others fell off lorries from EMI in Hayes.

Anyone else buy music there?

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 00:26 - Jan 29 with 13422 viewsTearsOfaClown

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 22:51 - Jan 28 by ShotKneesHoop

Special mention for Sellanby's - the world renowned second hand LP shop in the market under the Piccadilly Line arches.

Made their fortune out of Tears Of A Clown selling my Al Kooper "I Stand Alone" LP to Sellanbys four times in a month only for me to buy it back four times because at that stage it wasn't a UK release and I couldn't get a copy of it anywhere else. Sussed out it the little scrote selling Sellanbys my LP, when the last time I bought it from them, he'd left his doodles on the LP cover.

Sellanby had a terrific range of LP's there, many imports, others fell off lorries from EMI in Hayes.

Anyone else buy music there?

I never bought anything at Sellanby's - but I did sell a few albums.

You always did stand alone.

Great album buy the way.

You didn't mention Rootman.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 00:33 - Jan 29 with 13419 viewsElHoop

Yeah I used to go to Sellanbys but it was a proper shop when I went there. Think I went on the bus from near Queensbury which was a fair trek - probably the 140 bus. Sold a few records there and bought a few - was a cool shop and loads of kids from school went over there. Different world completely back then.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 07:28 - Jan 29 with 13368 viewsTearsOfaClown

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 00:33 - Jan 29 by ElHoop

Yeah I used to go to Sellanbys but it was a proper shop when I went there. Think I went on the bus from near Queensbury which was a fair trek - probably the 140 bus. Sold a few records there and bought a few - was a cool shop and loads of kids from school went over there. Different world completely back then.

Sellanbys started in South Harrow market down under the Piccadilly Line arches - run by a short stocky woman with a glum expression and her 2 sons. She covered the middle section of books/paperbacks and the sone did the records. One son, who looked like his mum ran the shop in Northolt Road.

LP covers had such great designs you could spend ages just browsing them - even the re-occuring Al Kooper 'I Stand Alone with ShotKneesHoop'.

South Harrow market was like Lakeside/Bluewater to us. A great place to wander around. They also had an army surplus shop in the market - I am sure some of the gear had done service in WW2.

140 bus - terrible service. Unlike the158 and 114. Hold on tight, Memory Lane next stop.

The best thing was South Harrow was a quick tube and 105 bus ride to the top of the SA estate.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 08:15 - Jan 29 with 13345 viewshoopstar67

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 07:28 - Jan 29 by TearsOfaClown

Sellanbys started in South Harrow market down under the Piccadilly Line arches - run by a short stocky woman with a glum expression and her 2 sons. She covered the middle section of books/paperbacks and the sone did the records. One son, who looked like his mum ran the shop in Northolt Road.

LP covers had such great designs you could spend ages just browsing them - even the re-occuring Al Kooper 'I Stand Alone with ShotKneesHoop'.

South Harrow market was like Lakeside/Bluewater to us. A great place to wander around. They also had an army surplus shop in the market - I am sure some of the gear had done service in WW2.

140 bus - terrible service. Unlike the158 and 114. Hold on tight, Memory Lane next stop.

The best thing was South Harrow was a quick tube and 105 bus ride to the top of the SA estate.

I used to go to Sellenbys a lot usually to buy records and I still have them to this day. I used to spend loads of time in South Harrow Market as my dad had a barbers shop there for many years,Italian guy with dirty laugh and always chatting up the women, always had a parrot there too!
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 09:18 - Jan 29 with 13328 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 07:28 - Jan 29 by TearsOfaClown

The 105 route from Hanger Lane to Westway was probably the most unreliable London Transport bus route in the world. I used to leave home before one to make sure I would get to the ground on time. On match days, it seems like the Union of Bolshy bus drivers decided to run the route in convoys. No bus for 50 minutes, then three would turn up in each others slip stream and run in second gear down the Western Avenue.

Loved the walk down Bloemfontein Road from the bus stop to the ground as the excitement built up.

Odd that the service back from the White City Estate was always much more frequent.

Could have used the 140 to Northolt and got the Central Line from there to White City, but as you say the 140 was also a shocking service, and we never bothered to use that unless we had to.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:16 - Jan 29 with 13260 viewsenfieldargh

I never went but......

Remember how the Harrow Granada and maybe the ABC used to show naughty films in the afternoons.

You used to try to find a seat as far from another bloke as possible....... so I'm told

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:50 - Jan 29 with 13242 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 16:49 - Jan 28 by Juzzie

Crikey, I went to Colville school too. Would've been about 1972 I reckon.

Had a spell at Isaac Newton as well, what a sh1t hole that was.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:54 - Jan 29 with 13235 viewsJuzzie

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:50 - Jan 29 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Crikey, I went to Colville school too. Would've been about 1972 I reckon.

Had a spell at Isaac Newton as well, what a sh1t hole that was.

Blimey :o) I went there around '72-'74. I think I was there only one year in infants before moving elsewhere for junior school.

My vaugue memories are my teacher Mrs Saunders, getting blisters from shimmying along the bars that held up the roof in the playground and the outside toilets.... my god they were rank. Only matched by those at the Camden Underworld!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2015 14:57]
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 15:11 - Jan 29 with 13219 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 14:54 - Jan 29 by Juzzie

Blimey :o) I went there around '72-'74. I think I was there only one year in infants before moving elsewhere for junior school.

My vaugue memories are my teacher Mrs Saunders, getting blisters from shimmying along the bars that held up the roof in the playground and the outside toilets.... my god they were rank. Only matched by those at the Camden Underworld!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2015 14:57]

We may well have crossed paths! Think I was only there for around a year, we moved from Arundel Gardens off Ladbroke Grove to Hammersmith.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:40 - Jan 29 with 13168 viewsElHoop

The 140 bus might have been unreliable but it did one hell of a shift. Back when there was no M25, plenty of them went all the way from Mill Hill Broadway to Heathrow, which is a good distance on a stopping bus. They used the good old buses too:

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:42 - Jan 29 with 13162 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:40 - Jan 29 by ElHoop

The 140 bus might have been unreliable but it did one hell of a shift. Back when there was no M25, plenty of them went all the way from Mill Hill Broadway to Heathrow, which is a good distance on a stopping bus. They used the good old buses too:

It took the bastards two days to do the shift. That was the problem.

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:47 - Jan 29 with 13157 viewsElHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 17:42 - Jan 29 by ShotKneesHoop

It took the bastards two days to do the shift. That was the problem.

I think that was probably true. Sometimes in the school holidays we'd take the bus all the way to Heathrow to go on the viewing platform and spot planes and pick up timetables and other shit that they gave away in the terminals. You might stay there for a few hours but you'd be out all day for sure.
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:11 - Jan 29 with 13137 viewsElHoop

The timetable suggests that they did Mill Hill to Heathrow in 75 minutes. I find that hard to believe. I seriously doubt that you could do that route in under two hours now anyway, even if you could before.

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:15 - Jan 29 with 13129 viewsShotKneesHoop

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 18:11 - Jan 29 by ElHoop

The timetable suggests that they did Mill Hill to Heathrow in 75 minutes. I find that hard to believe. I seriously doubt that you could do that route in under two hours now anyway, even if you could before.

The 140 rarely did Mill Hill to Sarfarra in 75 minutes.

Was the timetable drempt up by Rednobb?

This must be the only fanzine site where time is spent on discussing routes of RTL buses.

Shows what sort of a season we've had.

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 20:17 - Jan 29 with 13076 viewsbrewers_hoop

I have fond childhood memories of South Harrow in the 70s. My Nan & Grandad lived up Parkfield Road and I used to love going into the toy shop there (can’t remember its name but can recall buying an Action Man special operations tent there with my Christmas money). Also loved the indoor market opposite the station.

There was another record shop called Parkes’ on the parade at the bottom end of Northolt Road where I got my first record - David Bowie’s The Laughing Gnome (not quite on a par with Life On Mars and Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide, granted) .

My old man used to drink in The Constellation — or The Con as it was known (now The Star) and said it was like the Wild West in there at weekends, with punches and glasses flying. He later drank in Hennessy’s, where fittingly I suppose, he collapsed a few years ago before he had taken his first sip of the day. His last words to the landlord as he was carted off on a stretcher by the paramedics were: ”Eric, put that Guinness in the fridge — I’ll be back for that later!” — sadly he never was. Any long-term South Harrow residents on here may remember him as ‘Boycey’.

One good story he told me was of some good-looking Asian girl he knew being chatted up by a well-to-do fella up town. “Where are you from,” he asked her. “Saaf Arra” came the reply. “Sarfarra — where’s that?” he inquired — thinking it to be some exotic eastern paradise. “No, Saaaaf Arrra” she screamed — “Near Norffolt!”
(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 07:52 - Jan 30 with 12989 viewsTaxidermist

(non QPR) South Harrow in 70's on 20:17 - Jan 29 by brewers_hoop

I have fond childhood memories of South Harrow in the 70s. My Nan & Grandad lived up Parkfield Road and I used to love going into the toy shop there (can’t remember its name but can recall buying an Action Man special operations tent there with my Christmas money). Also loved the indoor market opposite the station.

There was another record shop called Parkes’ on the parade at the bottom end of Northolt Road where I got my first record - David Bowie’s The Laughing Gnome (not quite on a par with Life On Mars and Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide, granted) .

My old man used to drink in The Constellation — or The Con as it was known (now The Star) and said it was like the Wild West in there at weekends, with punches and glasses flying. He later drank in Hennessy’s, where fittingly I suppose, he collapsed a few years ago before he had taken his first sip of the day. His last words to the landlord as he was carted off on a stretcher by the paramedics were: ”Eric, put that Guinness in the fridge — I’ll be back for that later!” — sadly he never was. Any long-term South Harrow residents on here may remember him as ‘Boycey’.

One good story he told me was of some good-looking Asian girl he knew being chatted up by a well-to-do fella up town. “Where are you from,” he asked her. “Saaf Arra” came the reply. “Sarfarra — where’s that?” he inquired — thinking it to be some exotic eastern paradise. “No, Saaaaf Arrra” she screamed — “Near Norffolt!”

Toyshop was called Toycraft 70.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024