Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk - Coward 17:02 - Jan 17 with 37469 views_

Sat down the whole game hiding and this defending without the ball bollocks needs to stop and now.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Monk - Coward on 19:29 - Jan 17 with 2477 viewsAquinas

Who gave Oldjack a line...
Monk - Coward on 19:29 - Jan 17 with 2481 viewsjack247

Agree that we seem more effective pressing to get the ball back when we lose it than the current tactic of dropping off and getting Into shape immediately, but why does it make GM a coward?
Monk - Coward on 19:35 - Jan 17 with 2463 viewsGowerjack

Monk - Coward on 19:15 - Jan 17 by monmouth

Do we really have to polarise this into a pro-anti Monk dickfight? Yeah I suppose we do....ok, I'm not really in any camp but I thought that was poor from him today. The team played like a pub team so they must shoulder a lot of the flak but team selection, shape and attitude was poor for me and, whatever you might say about effect, your manager hiding (and he was) because you are getting slaughtered is not a good way to behave at all (he's been very visible in other matches). So the impression it gives is 'you're on your own on this one boys'.

He's also taken a lot of credit ('they're taking on board what we're giving them'; I've worked to improve Bony) now he's got to stand up and take the crap. I hope he does.

But there we are. We were outclassed. I think they'd have been too good for us whatever we did, but that's not the point. It reminded me of what Villareal did to us in the friendly when we tried players out of position, new player combinations and no real gumption. They cut us to pieces too. Maybe this time, some learning might take place because make no mistake, the scummy scrap metal bunch were right, we were sh1t.

Agreed 100%

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Monk - Coward on 19:36 - Jan 17 with 2455 viewsC_jack

Monk - Coward on 19:25 - Jan 17 by WarwickHunt

Substitutions, formations, giving players specific roles, getting messages on to the pitch to do certain things...opposition managers do it all the time.

We're lucky if we get like for like subs on 60 minutes.

I agree with that, the original point I was trying to make is that the erratic arm waving shtick (which is what some want) isn't a magic concoction for improvement. He can only influence it when the ball is dead, of which he didn't seem to do well today.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Monk - Coward on 19:44 - Jan 17 with 2412 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Monk - Coward on 18:53 - Jan 17 by WarwickHunt

Ah yes - bad timing!

Who could have possibly foreseen our only DM not being able to play every game at 32 years of age, Ki being away for a major tournament and the hothead Shelvey picking up a suspension.
Just as well Gylfi wasn't carrying a knock. Oh hang on...

The point about "some of the world's best players" was that you don't give them the space we did today - regardless of the starting line-up. The manager must take some responsibility for that.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2015 18:57]

Indeed he should .

We were down to the bare bones , but .

We were playing Chelsea today not fu cking Carlisle .

So pick a team with players in positions they play & can do a job playing there .

I really hope monk comes out and takes the blMe for this

He's quick enough to blame others when it goes t it's up.

Over to you Gaz

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Monk - Coward on 19:47 - Jan 17 with 2394 views_

Monk - Coward on 19:44 - Jan 17 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed he should .

We were down to the bare bones , but .

We were playing Chelsea today not fu cking Carlisle .

So pick a team with players in positions they play & can do a job playing there .

I really hope monk comes out and takes the blMe for this

He's quick enough to blame others when it goes t it's up.

Over to you Gaz

He's only reluctantly done that. Praised the fans (sickly) and gone heavy on the defensive mistakes.

What he hasn't addressed though is why we made those mistakes. Shapeless team selection.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Monk - Coward on 19:49 - Jan 17 with 2382 viewsymaohyd

Monk - Coward on 19:15 - Jan 17 by monmouth

Do we really have to polarise this into a pro-anti Monk dickfight? Yeah I suppose we do....ok, I'm not really in any camp but I thought that was poor from him today. The team played like a pub team so they must shoulder a lot of the flak but team selection, shape and attitude was poor for me and, whatever you might say about effect, your manager hiding (and he was) because you are getting slaughtered is not a good way to behave at all (he's been very visible in other matches). So the impression it gives is 'you're on your own on this one boys'.

He's also taken a lot of credit ('they're taking on board what we're giving them'; I've worked to improve Bony) now he's got to stand up and take the crap. I hope he does.

But there we are. We were outclassed. I think they'd have been too good for us whatever we did, but that's not the point. It reminded me of what Villareal did to us in the friendly when we tried players out of position, new player combinations and no real gumption. They cut us to pieces too. Maybe this time, some learning might take place because make no mistake, the scummy scrap metal bunch were right, we were sh1t.

I agree.

The similarity with the Villareal game is right, to be fair I thought we did learn after that as our results showed.

I am ultra negative and didn't expect anything from today especially when I saw the side.

As someone else mentioned this stuffing may have a more positive effect than an heroic defeat.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Monk - Coward on 19:52 - Jan 17 with 2362 viewslondonlisa2001

Monk - Coward on 19:47 - Jan 17 by _

He's only reluctantly done that. Praised the fans (sickly) and gone heavy on the defensive mistakes.

What he hasn't addressed though is why we made those mistakes. Shapeless team selection.

It was shapeless. But who would you have picked given the players available?

I looked at the squad today, thought it looked dreadful, but couldn't really think what I'd do instead. Possibly play Amat / Bartley / one of the CBs in midfield (whichever would be best at doing that) but that would be awful as well.

Our squad was bare. As I said in another thread, why we didn't bring someone in in midfield with Ki away and JJS out for 4 matches God only knows, but given that we didn't, who would you have played?
Login to get fewer ads

Monk - Coward on 19:57 - Jan 17 with 2342 viewsVetchitBack

Monk wasn't a fan of Laudrup and I assumed this was in part due to our lack of pressing which was a major feature of his mentor Rodgers.

Seems I may have been projecting my own thoughts onto him.

But coward is ridiculous I'm afraid.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Monk - Coward on 20:02 - Jan 17 with 2319 viewsUxbridge

Monk - Coward on 17:55 - Jan 17 by Dr_Winston

We had no midfield. Three first choice players missing and three out of position filling in, plus a couple of kids. Question is why the cupboard is so bare.

Amongst the nuggets, the real question. There's a rarity!!

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Monk - Coward on 20:03 - Jan 17 with 2315 viewsNOTRAC

You learn a lot about managers on a day like this.
Were there any courageous substitutions ..no
Was he in his box geeing up and encouraging his players...no
Did he thank the Swansea fans who were outstanding in their support for the team, particularly in the second half.....no
Did he listen to Dyer who was refusing to come off as he could see that Ashley was in no fit state to play on..no
Sorry,this was as poor a performance from any manager as I have ever seen!

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Monk - Coward on 20:09 - Jan 17 with 2277 viewsVetchitBack

Monk - Coward on 20:03 - Jan 17 by NOTRAC

You learn a lot about managers on a day like this.
Were there any courageous substitutions ..no
Was he in his box geeing up and encouraging his players...no
Did he thank the Swansea fans who were outstanding in their support for the team, particularly in the second half.....no
Did he listen to Dyer who was refusing to come off as he could see that Ashley was in no fit state to play on..no
Sorry,this was as poor a performance from any manager as I have ever seen!

He did thank the fans

Monk - Coward on 20:12 - Jan 17 with 2260 viewsNOTRAC

Monk - Coward on 20:09 - Jan 17 by VetchitBack

He did thank the fans

Not at the end of the game he didn't.
Walked straight off.

Monk - Coward on 20:14 - Jan 17 with 2252 viewsSweyns_Eye

Monk - Coward on 20:02 - Jan 17 by Uxbridge

Adding to this and Uxbridge's comment, Huw has often mentioned at Fans forums of how we plan for all eventualities in our transfer dealings and try to look ahead. Seems we may not have considered where the team is right now?

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Monk - Coward on 20:21 - Jan 17 with 2228 viewsDr_Winston

Monk - Coward on 20:14 - Jan 17 by Sweyns_Eye

Adding to this and Uxbridge's comment, Huw has often mentioned at Fans forums of how we plan for all eventualities in our transfer dealings and try to look ahead. Seems we may not have considered where the team is right now?

Last summer it seemed like we were hoping to get away with spending as little as possible. Our biggest expenditure was Fernandez, and if Flores had stayed as planned then we wouldn't have brought him in. Even with £4m on Montero, significant lumpers for Fabianski and Gomis and a few bits and bobs like Emnes that's easily a sub £15m spend with an extra £20m in TV money coming in.

Whether people are trying to make the balace sheet look good for prospective "investors", saving up to spend on other stuff or just a bit of good old fashioned caution, it's an approach that needs revisiting.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk - Coward on 20:24 - Jan 17 with 2209 viewsVetchitBack

Monk - Coward on 20:12 - Jan 17 by NOTRAC

Walked straight off.

Would you have done after that?

Monk - Coward on 20:31 - Jan 17 with 2180 viewsNOTRAC

Monk - Coward on 20:24 - Jan 17 by VetchitBack

Would you have done after that?

The fans were magnificent in the second half.
He should at least have acknowledged that..
That would have been courage in adversity.Something that was lacking today I 'm afraid.

Monk - Coward on 20:36 - Jan 17 with 2156 viewsDarran

Walked straight off.

Seriously how old are you 12?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk - Coward on 20:43 - Jan 17 with 2120 viewsAndy1300

Walked straight off.

That's what I thought too

Number 1 team in Wales

Monk - Coward on 20:46 - Jan 17 with 2098 viewsTreforys_Jack

Some posters on here are like spoilt kids, thats all. Season is 38 games !!!!
Monk - Coward on 20:55 - Jan 17 with 2076 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Monk - Coward on 20:21 - Jan 17 by Dr_Winston

Last summer it seemed like we were hoping to get away with spending as little as possible. Our biggest expenditure was Fernandez, and if Flores had stayed as planned then we wouldn't have brought him in. Even with £4m on Montero, significant lumpers for Fabianski and Gomis and a few bits and bobs like Emnes that's easily a sub £15m spend with an extra £20m in TV money coming in.

Whether people are trying to make the balace sheet look good for prospective "investors", saving up to spend on other stuff or just a bit of good old fashioned caution, it's an approach that needs revisiting.

I would have thought our wage bill would have risen considerably to eat into that extra tv money. In general I'm in the 'we don't have as much spare cash as fans think' camp - I have no knowledge to back that up, but I think a lot of things add up behind the scenes that we don't see - not least wages, the real killers of football clubs finances.

I always cast my mind back to Bolton. They spent over 10 years here, I can't remember them being profligate in their spending, had a rich benefactor, yet exited stage left with over £100 million in debt, mainly caused by the effects of having to pay the massive wages players demand these days.

I do hope you're right though, and we have a healthy bank account, waiting to be tapped into. Of course, the Bony fee will give us the means to take action in the market if needed (and it is - full-backs anyone?), but aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised if we were just breaking even.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Monk - Coward on 21:00 - Jan 17 with 2053 viewsjackonicko

Monk - Coward on 20:55 - Jan 17 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I would have thought our wage bill would have risen considerably to eat into that extra tv money. In general I'm in the 'we don't have as much spare cash as fans think' camp - I have no knowledge to back that up, but I think a lot of things add up behind the scenes that we don't see - not least wages, the real killers of football clubs finances.

I always cast my mind back to Bolton. They spent over 10 years here, I can't remember them being profligate in their spending, had a rich benefactor, yet exited stage left with over £100 million in debt, mainly caused by the effects of having to pay the massive wages players demand these days.

I do hope you're right though, and we have a healthy bank account, waiting to be tapped into. Of course, the Bony fee will give us the means to take action in the market if needed (and it is - full-backs anyone?), but aside from that, I wouldn't be surprised if we were just breaking even.

This.

It's pretty clear that Gomis was brought in to replace Bony leaving in the summer. We've since been covering 2 massive wages for one first team position up top, plus added big wages for Fab and Siggy. I would imagine cash flow is relatively tight at times.

The next accounts will be out soon for last year. It wouldn't surprise me if the accounts only show a couple of million profit, and the wage bill is up again for this year.

No big signing in January is pretty obvious, And right.
Monk - Coward on 21:19 - Jan 17 with 2008 viewssixpenses

Monk - Coward on 20:46 - Jan 17 by Treforys_Jack

Some posters on here are like spoilt kids, thats all. Season is 38 games !!!!

Yep same as last season
Monk - Coward on 21:22 - Jan 17 with 1989 viewsJackfath

I wonder what GM would do if the OP called him a coward to his face?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Monk - Coward on 21:24 - Jan 17 with 1980 viewsKilkennyjack

Monk - Coward on 20:02 - Jan 17 by Uxbridge

Perhaps a good question for the likes of that tony Pennock guy ? Where the hell are our young, hungry, local talent ? Simple question really.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024