Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. 19:19 - Jan 24 with 14183 viewsFerrieBodde

I really don't know why people are only now beginning to realize we're on the slide and that Monk has been doing a horrible job after this Blackburn loss. I've been saying this forever before but was constantly criticized and berated for being "negative." Anyone who follows us week in and week out should be able to realize this--in the league, we've scored only 7 goals in our last 8 games while conceding 16 in that period. The last time we actually scored more than 1 goal was when we scored 2 against QPR back in the 2nd of December. Its been utterly pathetic.

I don't even know where to begin. Our passing game has gone completely, there's absolutely no sense of urgency, we no longer press and seem to give opposing players a 10 yard radius of space when they're on the ball, woefully out of form players are being selected constantly with the dumb hope that they'll be able to play themselves out of a slump, and tactically, its been a joke. We've just been looking clueless, and we just can't score any goals. Its been week in and week out of this nonsense with no improvement in sight, and yet our manager doesn't want to make any changes.

We all know Garry is a legend and a stalwart of this club. That's never going to change. But going forward, he's not the right person for the future. Something has to be done. This is not at all sustainable, and we can't go any longer like this.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2015 19:21]
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 00:42 - Jan 25 with 2384 viewsBloodyhills

Agree with some of the OP. Our passing game seems to have gone.
Our pressing game seems to have gone.
It seems the players aren't interested a lot of the time.
Am not convinced Monk can move us ahead or even maintain the status quo mid table comfort.

I hope to be proved wrong and see him make changes that will improve our team but time will tell.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 04:46 - Jan 25 with 2324 viewsthereisnospoon

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 23:59 - Jan 24 by stAteSwan

It is hard for me to be concerned about something that has not happened yet. Now, if we're sitting here after the WBA game, still sitting on 30 points, yes we can have this discussion. But right now? We've crashed out of the cup, which Chelsea did today as well, and we lost to Chelsea and Liverpool. Anthony Taylor robbed us of a win at QPR, and West Ham was a fair draw given the game.

If we play poorly, but manage wins against Sunderland WBA, I would not complain one bit.

Don't care if Chelsea are out of the cup. This is about us. There is no reason we should be losing to Blackburn.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 7:53]
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 06:49 - Jan 25 with 2299 viewsDr_Winston

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 00:25 - Jan 25 by Devz00

I was about to say; hindsight is a wonderful thing. When he was here, there were plenty saying he was average and not worth the money. Now it's as if we've let Messi go on a free transfer.

FWIW, I liked JDG too and thought he was definitely someone to keep hold of. I didn't think he would ever sign for us, though. The whole season-long loan each year seemed a bit strange for me.

It's not hindsight when you say it all along.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 07:12 - Jan 25 with 2288 viewsymaohyd

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 19:46 - Jan 24 by Darran

I don't know where the OP has been saying Monk is doing a horrible job but it certainly isn't on here.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/members/FerrieBodde/posts/

Class

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 07:49 - Jan 25 with 2268 viewsswansealad69

Op is bang on the money.
We all like monk and what he has done for the club.
He has been a great servant and we all know his love and commitment for the club, but we are not playing no were near the way we can and have been.
I didnt think monk was the right choice from the start because off his lack off experience and the fact the club didnt bring anyone in to guid him was a massive mistake.
This is the prem ffs not league 2, millions at stake and a global audience.
We are in the big time but our board still do things by a shoe string.
I feel sory for monk as it was to early for him but his love for the club was all he needed.
If monk is there next season we will struggle and go down, unless the club bring in someone with experience to assist him.
For monthes we have looked poor and only a few games have we actually looked like a team with confidence and swagger,yes as its been pointed out that we have more points but truthfully im amazed at that fact as we realy struggle to kill teams off.
Yeasterday even with 10 men we could have held on to the ball as its our way, that is what we would have done in the past.
Just play the ball around and be patient and wait for a opening.
We could not put 5 passes together.
Its a shame things have gone like this under monk but the truth is we havegone backwards under him.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:00 - Jan 25 with 2253 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 07:49 - Jan 25 by swansealad69

Op is bang on the money.
We all like monk and what he has done for the club.
He has been a great servant and we all know his love and commitment for the club, but we are not playing no were near the way we can and have been.
I didnt think monk was the right choice from the start because off his lack off experience and the fact the club didnt bring anyone in to guid him was a massive mistake.
This is the prem ffs not league 2, millions at stake and a global audience.
We are in the big time but our board still do things by a shoe string.
I feel sory for monk as it was to early for him but his love for the club was all he needed.
If monk is there next season we will struggle and go down, unless the club bring in someone with experience to assist him.
For monthes we have looked poor and only a few games have we actually looked like a team with confidence and swagger,yes as its been pointed out that we have more points but truthfully im amazed at that fact as we realy struggle to kill teams off.
Yeasterday even with 10 men we could have held on to the ball as its our way, that is what we would have done in the past.
Just play the ball around and be patient and wait for a opening.
We could not put 5 passes together.
Its a shame things have gone like this under monk but the truth is we havegone backwards under him.

Agreed. If we keep Monk next season, which I desperately hope we won't, I fear we may go down.

I think what's been most frustrating about this poor run so far isn't even Monk's tactical ineptitude or his orders to avoid pressing, but that he keeps freaking playing Routledge and Dyer despite them being absolutely useless. Routledge especially. Any other manager in the world would have dropped them months ago, but Monk for some reason just keeps playing them thinking they'll get better. Sorry Garry, but when a player is crap for that long, it comes a time when you have to bench them and give them that kick in that ass that let's them know they need to improve. If you keep starting them week in and week out without giving them any consequences for poor form, then they'll never have the incentive to get any better. And that's exactly what we're seeing right now.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 8:03]

Come on you Swans.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:13 - Jan 25 with 2238 viewsDr_Winston

Dyer has spent quite a bit of time on the bench this season.

Besides, question for me is why two players who have been major contributors to our success over the last few years have hit such a slump in form at the same time. Have they become bad players overnight or are there other issues at play?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:15 - Jan 25 with 2235 viewsglobus10

I think Monk has done an ok job to get us out of a situation with Laudrup. I think losing to Chelsea by that score can happen to anyone. Yesterday was a horrible day when everything that could go wrong did. However for a club who supposed to have a passing style from the under 7's or 8's right up to the first team,where has it gone. That is my main worry, I hoped last week was because Chelsea stopped us playing, but today again we looked hurried and panicky.
Too early to press the panic button I think,and we have loads of players out, but our loss of style concerns me!
Login to get fewer ads

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:26 - Jan 25 with 2220 viewsthereisnospoon

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:13 - Jan 25 by Dr_Winston

Besides, question for me is why two players who have been major contributors to our success over the last few years have hit such a slump in form at the same time. Have they become bad players overnight or are there other issues at play?

the problem is that routledge has been poor beyond belief but Monk continues to play him, and by doing so, he's letting it be known that his place in the starting lineup is set in stone. as a result, routledge doesn't feel the need to improve or do anything different. why put in the effort to do anything different or get better when you know that you have a manager who favours you to bits and will put you in the starting lineup regardless of how detrimental you are to the team?
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:39 - Jan 25 with 2196 viewsNOTRAC

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:26 - Jan 25 by thereisnospoon

the problem is that routledge has been poor beyond belief but Monk continues to play him, and by doing so, he's letting it be known that his place in the starting lineup is set in stone. as a result, routledge doesn't feel the need to improve or do anything different. why put in the effort to do anything different or get better when you know that you have a manager who favours you to bits and will put you in the starting lineup regardless of how detrimental you are to the team?

Routledge didn't play yesterday for goodness sake.it seems to me that we are at our worst when our tried and trusted players aren't playing,Leon Britton in particular.
Yes Leon, Rangel, Ashley,Nathan are not getting any younger but how often are these four in the line up together.
I would suggest that at the moment their replacements are just not good enough.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:49 - Jan 25 with 2185 viewslifelong

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:13 - Jan 25 by Dr_Winston

It's strange, both Dyer and Routledge seemed to have lost the ability to get past their marker, both of them, more so Dyer, just don't appear to be up to full fitness.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:31 - Jan 25 with 2090 viewsheadcleaner

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:34 - Jan 25 with 2081 viewsheadcleaner

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:34 - Jan 25 with 2081 viewsheadcleaner

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 11:42 - Jan 25 with 2068 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I have a question for those that know how the club is run.
The person managing/Coaching the Under 21s last year when they were having a dire time (they are now playing really well) is now second coach of the first team.
So how much influence do the Coaches have on the Team's performance in comparison to the Manager?
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:06 - Jan 25 with 1935 viewsMattG

It's not been great over the last month or so, I don't think anyone would dispute that, but just to pick up on a couple of points that have been made in this thread :

JdG - I was a big fan of his and would have loved him to stay. However, if he had then we wouldn't have signed Gylfi so I'd say we're pretty much even on that one.

Yesterday - a poor performance, no doubt, but one which is put into some perspective for me by the Man City and particularly Chelsea results. Both of them were at home while we were away, both playing teams from lower divisions (OK, Boro are going well in the Championship but still) and both lost without either of them having a man sent off after 6 minutes.

I do agree that the style of play recently isn't anywhere near our best but we have been disrupted a lot by injuries / ACON / Asian Cup so it's not wholly surprising. There's plenty of time to turn things around and make sure we finish in the top 8 which is the least we should be aiming for after the start we've made.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:49 - Jan 25 with 1894 viewsswansealad69

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:06 - Jan 25 by MattG

It's not been great over the last month or so, I don't think anyone would dispute that, but just to pick up on a couple of points that have been made in this thread :

JdG - I was a big fan of his and would have loved him to stay. However, if he had then we wouldn't have signed Gylfi so I'd say we're pretty much even on that one.

Yesterday - a poor performance, no doubt, but one which is put into some perspective for me by the Man City and particularly Chelsea results. Both of them were at home while we were away, both playing teams from lower divisions (OK, Boro are going well in the Championship but still) and both lost without either of them having a man sent off after 6 minutes.

I do agree that the style of play recently isn't anywhere near our best but we have been disrupted a lot by injuries / ACON / Asian Cup so it's not wholly surprising. There's plenty of time to turn things around and make sure we finish in the top 8 which is the least we should be aiming for after the start we've made.

Sory mate but we aint been at our best all season.
Only united arsenal and spurs have we been good.
Other then them we have struggled or looked way off for the full 90.
Yes points dobt lie and we have them , buthow many times have we struggled to get them.
When we take the lead (as we do in many off our games) we cant hold on to it or struggle to.
In past seasons we all new if we took the lead we could hold out as teams would have to push out and by doing so open up and we could tear teams apart with pur passing and patient play.
We look a total diffrent team under monk.
A team that cant pass or close down
A team who looks to have no idea on what to do
A team that looks frustrated and nervous when any team puts pressure on us.
Were has our confidence and swagger gone? We use to control games and make teams chase shadows, were has our 10-15-20 pass phases gone?
When we pass now its all rushed and with no idea.
Our wingers ar out off form but if u look at them during a game they rarely cut inside to take a pass.
We are easy to mark as most the time we standing still.
Yes we have the points and should be safe but if anyone is happy with season or cant see we have gone backwards is looking at a different game.
Yes we had no plan b under previous managers and at times passibg back was frustrating but now we look a lost team that has no shape or plan a or b.
We have had more red cards and yellows then I can remember
Somthing aint right and its down to monk as he picks the team and formation, he takes training and tells the players what he wants.
Even with our players gone or out we should still have a squad to beat a Blackburn side who had there 3rd keeper in and there 3 top players on thebench.
We all like monk and his ccommitment to the club over the years and I hoped he would have done a good job.
But the truth is he is not qualified enough to take on such a big job as its been shown.
He needed time as a coach working under a more experience management team
Learn how to change a system if it aint working and what subs to use and when

Blackburn's management did it yeasterday when he brought on the 2 strikers at the right time.
That comes with experience and reading a game.
Me u or anyone els can expect monke to be able to do that after a few monthes as manager.
Much off the blame for monks appointment lies with the board who should have at the very least brought in someone to work with him and advise him when things look sticky.
Monk just looks lost and unable to change if things go wrong.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:52 - Jan 25 with 1886 viewsUplandsJack

Firstly we all on here want OUR club to do well, of that i have no doubt...
I also have to be honest and say i for one didnt want GM as our manager/head coach now. Thats not to say never but just not now... He did a great job of seeing us over the line last season but thats where it should have ended... A more experienced manager like Koeman as suggested by others should have been brought in and GM should have been installed as his No.2 (He could have learned a lot and then taken over when the time was right with a lot more experience behind him)
That never happened and the board decided to give him the job. Now here is where my biggest concerns start.
Once that decision was made, the board should have brought in experienced coaching staff to assist him instead of doing it on the cheap yet again... Lets be honest GM's coaching staff is quite honestly a joke...
Pep was brought to the club to head up the academy and I'm sure he would have done a great job, but to leap up to a No2 at a premier league club is a mighty jump even in light of some past experience as a no2 at a couple of Scandinavian clubs...
Then there is that joke that is CoL... This guy should be no where near our club. 1stly he destroyed Neath. Then He came to work with our under21s who were poor under his leadership( and ironically have improved impressively since he moved up to 1st team). He has no experience at this level whatsoever and just struts around pre match with his hands in his pockets like some billy big bllocks.
AC is a legend and is the only positive in the backroom staff for me, End of!
Honestly I actually feel sorry for GM as he is being badly let down by the board with all this. He is the one who will eventually be sacked and have to go off and try to rebuild his coaching career. The board will just move on to the next...
Finally I would like to add these comments are not just a knee jerk reaction to a couple of disappointing results but to a complete change in our style of play which has happened over the season. Even when we've pinched results against the likes of Hull/A'Villa our general play has been poor... Come on guys, I respect all of you for your support of our club but the truth cannot be continually ignored or before too long this amazing journey we are all on will end and we will be back in the chumpionship with the scum... Now I for one don't want to see that happening.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:54 - Jan 25 with 1880 viewsperchrockjack

ALL the players are collectively poor.
Biggest shock for me is FF who s looking very weak..

Bradford, showed how to cope with a big bollux team and its a case of getting into oppositions faces

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:06 - Jan 25 with 1862 viewsItchySphincter

I agree with the bit about our pressing/passsing deserting us but it's not dow to Monk, it's down to the previous manager. I'm not saying that in defence of Monk because he was tasked with pulling us out of that particular slide and apart from a few very promising moments it's carried on very much in the same style.

A few of us got behind Monk while the jury was out and a few firmly stated they didn't want him which was fair enough - now it's crunch time, no more cliches, billy big boIIocks nonsense, now is the time to stand up and be counted. Every previous manager we've had in the last ten years has brought something to the party and earned the right to be respected, regardless of how things ended. Garry has yet to do that.

I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast and say for the first time that I'm very, very concerned. It looks to me like there is a possibility he's lost the changing room and if he has it will take a will of steel to bring it around again. I really don't know if he has it in him and for the first time I think he might be on borrowed time.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:13 - Jan 25 with 1849 viewsStanners

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 04:46 - Jan 25 by thereisnospoon

Don't care if Chelsea are out of the cup. This is about us. There is no reason we should be losing to Blackburn.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 7:53]

Excellent point

I feel too many people think it's acceptable to perform the way we did at Blackburn because Chelsea and Man City lost and because we're 9th in The Premier League

if we carry on playing the way we have then we will lose more games than we'll win that's for sure

We need to pull our fingers out now
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:21 - Jan 25 with 1834 viewsStanners

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:06 - Jan 25 by MattG

The results at Chelsea and Man City make our result at Blackburn even more frustrating

With those 2 being dumped out of the FA Cup I feel it's an opportunity missed
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:57 - Jan 25 with 1798 viewsswansealad69

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 12:52 - Jan 25 by UplandsJack

Firstly we all on here want OUR club to do well, of that i have no doubt...
I also have to be honest and say i for one didnt want GM as our manager/head coach now. Thats not to say never but just not now... He did a great job of seeing us over the line last season but thats where it should have ended... A more experienced manager like Koeman as suggested by others should have been brought in and GM should have been installed as his No.2 (He could have learned a lot and then taken over when the time was right with a lot more experience behind him)
That never happened and the board decided to give him the job. Now here is where my biggest concerns start.
Once that decision was made, the board should have brought in experienced coaching staff to assist him instead of doing it on the cheap yet again... Lets be honest GM's coaching staff is quite honestly a joke...
Pep was brought to the club to head up the academy and I'm sure he would have done a great job, but to leap up to a No2 at a premier league club is a mighty jump even in light of some past experience as a no2 at a couple of Scandinavian clubs...
Then there is that joke that is CoL... This guy should be no where near our club. 1stly he destroyed Neath. Then He came to work with our under21s who were poor under his leadership( and ironically have improved impressively since he moved up to 1st team). He has no experience at this level whatsoever and just struts around pre match with his hands in his pockets like some billy big bllocks.
AC is a legend and is the only positive in the backroom staff for me, End of!
Honestly I actually feel sorry for GM as he is being badly let down by the board with all this. He is the one who will eventually be sacked and have to go off and try to rebuild his coaching career. The board will just move on to the next...
Finally I would like to add these comments are not just a knee jerk reaction to a couple of disappointing results but to a complete change in our style of play which has happened over the season. Even when we've pinched results against the likes of Hull/A'Villa our general play has been poor... Come on guys, I respect all of you for your support of our club but the truth cannot be continually ignored or before too long this amazing journey we are all on will end and we will be back in the chumpionship with the scum... Now I for one don't want to see that happening.

Spot on with that.
I allso thought it cheap and a save money exercise from the boars to appoint monk.
We all like monk for everything he has done and did a great job at short notice.
However to give him the job full time with o'leary is a joke ffs, as u said he should not be anywear near the club and the board should start acting like we are in the prem rather then a club in the lower reaches off the football league.
Monk has been left down and and given an impossible job with such coaching like o'leary.
Curtis is a legend and all way will be but not someone who can assist monk in such important decisions in the toughest league in the world.
Its all very well running the club within a budget after what our past has taught us, but surley there is money to bring it quality and experience coaching for monk to call pn.
But it will all end on a sour note with monk as its only going to get harder for him tp yurn it around, its not as if he has anyone to call on for advice.
The prem is not the place to cut your teeth as a manager alone .
Its a lonly place for him now with usless staff around him like o'leary.
Hope he can do it and prove us all wrong as he is a decent guy who loves the club, butcant see it.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:06 - Jan 25 with 1790 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:57 - Jan 25 by swansealad69

Spot on with that.
I allso thought it cheap and a save money exercise from the boars to appoint monk.
We all like monk for everything he has done and did a great job at short notice.
However to give him the job full time with o'leary is a joke ffs, as u said he should not be anywear near the club and the board should start acting like we are in the prem rather then a club in the lower reaches off the football league.
Monk has been left down and and given an impossible job with such coaching like o'leary.
Curtis is a legend and all way will be but not someone who can assist monk in such important decisions in the toughest league in the world.
Its all very well running the club within a budget after what our past has taught us, but surley there is money to bring it quality and experience coaching for monk to call pn.
But it will all end on a sour note with monk as its only going to get harder for him tp yurn it around, its not as if he has anyone to call on for advice.
Hope he can do it and prove us all wrong as he is a decent guy who loves the club, butcant see it.

This.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:18 - Jan 25 with 1778 viewsblaine_scfc

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:57 - Jan 25 by swansealad69

Spot on with that.

Bloody hell you don't like O'Leary do you?

Monk chose his coaching staff I would assume. I don't think Monks the right man for the job, never have done to be honest but with the start of the season we had he shoved it back in the critics face like myself. We'll be fine this season, that's mission accomplished for me, but I worry for us next season. Players like Ash, Nath, Rangel, Taylor who have bought a huge amount of success to the club look to be on the wane and I don't have much confidence in our ability to replace them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024