Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. 19:19 - Jan 24 with 14184 viewsFerrieBodde

I really don't know why people are only now beginning to realize we're on the slide and that Monk has been doing a horrible job after this Blackburn loss. I've been saying this forever before but was constantly criticized and berated for being "negative." Anyone who follows us week in and week out should be able to realize this--in the league, we've scored only 7 goals in our last 8 games while conceding 16 in that period. The last time we actually scored more than 1 goal was when we scored 2 against QPR back in the 2nd of December. Its been utterly pathetic.

I don't even know where to begin. Our passing game has gone completely, there's absolutely no sense of urgency, we no longer press and seem to give opposing players a 10 yard radius of space when they're on the ball, woefully out of form players are being selected constantly with the dumb hope that they'll be able to play themselves out of a slump, and tactically, its been a joke. We've just been looking clueless, and we just can't score any goals. Its been week in and week out of this nonsense with no improvement in sight, and yet our manager doesn't want to make any changes.

We all know Garry is a legend and a stalwart of this club. That's never going to change. But going forward, he's not the right person for the future. Something has to be done. This is not at all sustainable, and we can't go any longer like this.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2015 19:21]
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:32 - Jan 25 with 2016 viewsswansealad69

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:18 - Jan 25 by blaine_scfc

Bloody hell you don't like O'Leary do you?

Monk chose his coaching staff I would assume. I don't think Monks the right man for the job, never have done to be honest but with the start of the season we had he shoved it back in the critics face like myself. We'll be fine this season, that's mission accomplished for me, but I worry for us next season. Players like Ash, Nath, Rangel, Taylor who have bought a huge amount of success to the club look to be on the wane and I don't have much confidence in our ability to replace them.

Its not that I dont like oleary its just a case I love my club.
U say monk chosen his own staff but what was said at board level? What was monk's options.
If monk did ask for him then its is own fault and very naive off him if he did.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:37 - Jan 25 with 2004 viewsScoobyWho

The minute we stop calling people like GM legends and rewarding them with 40k a week contracts and massaging their huge ego's will be the day we start to see a better person in football. Holding these people on high and putting them on pedestals when they are no better than you or I is the real issue. Get it sorted or move aside for the next contender. It isn't hard to work out, Martinez, Rodgers, Sousa, Laudrup, Monk .... Next.

Who cares who does what as long as our club flourishes.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:46 - Jan 25 with 1989 viewsMattG

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 13:21 - Jan 25 by Stanners

The results at Chelsea and Man City make our result at Blackburn even more frustrating

With those 2 being dumped out of the FA Cup I feel it's an opportunity missed

Agree with that but my point was that it can happen to anyone - arguably, in those two cases, even worse than us!
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 15:49 - Jan 25 with 1928 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:37 - Jan 25 by ScoobyWho

The minute we stop calling people like GM legends and rewarding them with 40k a week contracts and massaging their huge ego's will be the day we start to see a better person in football. Holding these people on high and putting them on pedestals when they are no better than you or I is the real issue. Get it sorted or move aside for the next contender. It isn't hard to work out, Martinez, Rodgers, Sousa, Laudrup, Monk .... Next.

Who cares who does what as long as our club flourishes.

I don't particularly like Monk but there's no denying that he's a club legend.

Come on you Swans.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 15:57 - Jan 25 with 1917 viewsMagicDaps

Everything's apparently Monks fault now. He identified De Guzman as a player he wanted to sign, that's his job. If he wasn't signed due to a lack of effort than that's due to the board who are in charge of that sort of thing.

When we win in the FA Cup, it's ignored and discredited from all statistics. When we lose in the FA Cup, it's Monk out.

The defeat wasn't his fault, he put out a side capable of winning the game but the fact we had to play the game with the 10 men for 84 minutes against a good side away is the reason we lost.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 15:58 - Jan 25 with 1912 viewsDarran

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 15:49 - Jan 25 by MyFinalHeaven

I don't particularly like Monk but there's no denying that he's a club legend.

Why don't you particularly like Monk?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 18:43 - Jan 25 with 1831 viewsDevz00

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 06:49 - Jan 25 by Dr_Winston

It's not hindsight when you say it all along.

Yep, I know. You seem to share a lot of the same views as me on here.

I meant that others are viewing JDG differently now, in hindsight.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 19:41 - Jan 25 with 1784 viewsDr_Winston

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 18:43 - Jan 25 by Devz00

Yep, I know. You seem to share a lot of the same views as me on here.

I meant that others are viewing JDG differently now, in hindsight.

I just never understood the criticism he took at the time. Seemed obvious to me that he was a major contributor to the best of our play that season, was clearly missed when not available and still delivered the goods in the lesser one that followed.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 19:41]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 19:46 - Jan 25 with 1775 viewsmonmouth

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 15:58 - Jan 25 by Darran

Why don't you particularly like Monk?

Rubbish hair.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:11 - Jan 25 with 1752 viewsPrivate_Partz

I was not happy with the appointment of Gary but what he has achieved has exceeded all my expectations. I share many of the concerns particularly our passing game deterioration which has made us not so easy on the eye or look as stylish.
Are we really saying we should sack a manager when we are 9th in the league and 11 points clear of the relegation zone? There were a few eyebrows raised in the media when we sacked ML. We would be a laughing stock if we showed Gary the door now.
Let's is see how the rest of the season pans out with our new signings in place. There will be plenty of opportunity for major surgery later if needed but now is certainly not the time.
Right now we should be supporting the manager and the team and not have a go at players based on dodgy twitters, press reports and translations from foreign tv stations.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 20:25]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:15 - Jan 25 with 1749 viewsswanduck

I am honestly shocked by how many of you have turned against Monk already! We have nearly half a season left and are in 30 points ffs!! We are never going to win every game and at the same time we will recieve the occasional tonking, such is life!

I'm guessing you all think Pellegrini should be sacked as well seeing as he lost his last home game in the league and then lost to Middelsbourgh in the cup!! Expectations are much higher there so surely he deserves to go too??

I say this all as someone who doubted monk at the beginning and thought he was the wrong appointment - as far as I am concerned I am yet to be proven right and he has done very well.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:29 - Jan 25 with 1726 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 19:41 - Jan 25 by Dr_Winston

I just never understood the criticism he took at the time. Seemed obvious to me that he was a major contributor to the best of our play that season, was clearly missed when not available and still delivered the goods in the lesser one that followed.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 19:41]

I think he did blow a bit hot and cold and could go missing, like many players, so some people probably fixated on the quiet performances rather than see on the whole, he brought some real quality to our play.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:36 - Jan 25 with 1715 viewslibertine

he has to show he can man up to the boards penny pinching which is going to be very difficult,

fair enough he said last week in the evening viz that the chairmen is aware that there should be changes made to the squad. He put his head on the block there, he has probably signed a non information contract so he can't say whats going on in the backroom. its a bit unfair really his head is on the block and hes probably been given assurances that hell be given players etc etc. I would envy the money he gets but not the stress of dealing with all that rubbish aswell as disharmony with the players.

One question can we survive whilst getting rid of ace striker and not replacing him
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:37 - Jan 25 with 1712 viewsSCB1985

Personally I think monk did fit a purpose, however he's not the man for the long term. Nigel Adkins fit a purpose at Southampton, he was sacked and people were puzzled by it. Look at them now. And we could of had koeman. There doesn't need to be any malice to sack a manager, he as been a good servant to us however there's no need for sentiment in football. I be happy to see a new manager

Poll: whats more important to you

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:45 - Jan 25 with 1699 viewsbarry_island

I think half the problem with Dyer is that Montero came in playing on the left so what then happened was Routledge was switched to the right in place of Dyer who had made his best start to a Premiership season. I couldn't understand it then, still can't now. Must have dented Dyer's confidence quite a lot, same with Routledge playing on his weaker side.

What's the best way to boost a player under threat's confidence? I know let's make them captain for the cup games. Probably an accolade the player wants as much as the dreaded "Most Improved Player" Rangel must already be looking forward to spending time sitting on the bench. Senior league management skills at best.

Get Dyer back as a regular starter and not the default first sub in league games and we'll see a different player.

Can I have a job in the back room staff please? I'm from Swansea so I'm qualified.

Just smile.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 05:11 - Jan 26 with 1650 viewsFerrieBodde

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:11 - Jan 25 by Private_Partz

I was not happy with the appointment of Gary but what he has achieved has exceeded all my expectations. I share many of the concerns particularly our passing game deterioration which has made us not so easy on the eye or look as stylish.
Are we really saying we should sack a manager when we are 9th in the league and 11 points clear of the relegation zone? There were a few eyebrows raised in the media when we sacked ML. We would be a laughing stock if we showed Gary the door now.
Let's is see how the rest of the season pans out with our new signings in place. There will be plenty of opportunity for major surgery later if needed but now is certainly not the time.
Right now we should be supporting the manager and the team and not have a go at players based on dodgy twitters, press reports and translations from foreign tv stations.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2015 20:25]

You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying that he should be sacked right now. I'm saying he's not the right person for the long term.
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 05:55 - Jan 26 with 1639 viewsZut_Alors

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 20:45 - Jan 25 by barry_island

I think half the problem with Dyer is that Montero came in playing on the left so what then happened was Routledge was switched to the right in place of Dyer who had made his best start to a Premiership season. I couldn't understand it then, still can't now. Must have dented Dyer's confidence quite a lot, same with Routledge playing on his weaker side.

What's the best way to boost a player under threat's confidence? I know let's make them captain for the cup games. Probably an accolade the player wants as much as the dreaded "Most Improved Player" Rangel must already be looking forward to spending time sitting on the bench. Senior league management skills at best.

Get Dyer back as a regular starter and not the default first sub in league games and we'll see a different player.

Can I have a job in the back room staff please? I'm from Swansea so I'm qualified.

Just smile.

Dyer's most consistent quality in the last three seasons has been inconsistency. Great at times, infuriating at others. If he played as he can do in all games, he would be with a top-6 team.

Inconsistency is a curse of the talented mid-table premier league player, I'm afraid. We have players who'll regularly put in an 8 out of 10 performance (good enough for the top), but they'll also give their share of 4-5s, too (why they're with us; Siggy is the perfect example).
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 08:13 - Jan 26 with 1613 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 14:32 - Jan 25 by swansealad69

Its not that I dont like oleary its just a case I love my club.
U say monk chosen his own staff but what was said at board level? What was monk's options.
If monk did ask for him then its is own fault and very naive off him if he did.

An excellent point. Who do we support, the club or some favoured individuals. The club comes first, second and third and whilst we're grateful to the massive contributions some of these individuals have made there must be no room for sentiment in football. Due to this sentimentality we have a lot of the same side we had in our first PL season when we're three years down the line. Player power has won the day and the club I love is now going backwards as a consequence.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 09:14 - Jan 26 with 1565 viewsPrivate_Partz

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 05:11 - Jan 26 by FerrieBodde

You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying that he should be sacked right now. I'm saying he's not the right person for the long term.

I am not having a go at you. Apologies if it seemed that way. There are some calling for his head here however. You may be right. It could be the team has just been ticking over and he could prove to be unsuitable in the longer term. I share those concerns but it has to be recognised that they chose to change half the team and we have survived that despite the possibility of our style being sacrificed somewhat. My post is meant to highlight that now is not the time to be calling for his head and turning of players like Gomis. We are in a healthy enough position to see how things pan out in the next few months.
I am by no means a happy clapper as a trawl back through my post would hopefully show but I am not getting the pitchforks out yet ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 09:50 - Jan 26 with 1532 viewsymaohyd

Someone asked on this thread, if any posters supported Monk being appointed at the time and to provide a link.

Well I did (sorry don't know how to do links, check my posts back last Feb) and I still believe GM is the right man for the job. I wanted Laudrup out at the time as I felt we'd go down.

Nearly a year on we survived last season, have a healthy points total this season at this stage compared to last and hopefully well end up with a points total at the end of the season that compares favourably with our other Prem league seasons under Laudrup and Rodgers.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for concern at the moment and wouldn't criticise fellow posters who feel he isn't up to it or are heading in the wrong direction, I would criticise those who are going way over the top in their opinions against him.

I'd ask the question of how many games this season have we not done ourselves justice. I don't think there are many, naturally the last two haven't been great and there isn't a great deal he could have done having had a player sent off within 10 minutes.

Beyond that I think we've had a strong season and the acid test is the points total, surely even the most critical can't argue that 30 points has been excellent.

But as I say, I agree that there are reasons for concern, my biggest concern is the Gomis situation. You can't blame GM for Bony going, we are now left with a player who I personally in the grand scheme of things of Premier quality strikers is crap, points can be very hard to come by when things start to slide, quality forwards can get you out of a mess. We really need to look long and hard at our striker options in the next week because as it stands we have, in Premier terms, two crap strikers!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 10:19 - Jan 26 with 1504 viewsmonmouth

Why don't we have two stickies? One Monk Out; one Monk In.

Personally I still can't see the problem. I support Swansea City; I don't really give a toss about Garry Monk or Michael Laudrup. They are just transient actors on the stage. I supported Laudrup right up until he was sacked (and was shocked when he was actually) then immediately couldn't care less about him, and I supported Monk from the minute he was appointed (and was shocked when he was actually) and won't care a toss about him if he goes. Until he goes though (and he will one day, through success or failure), he will have my full support and I simply don't believe in sacking managers as a routine activity. We have a few issues at the moment, he needs to sort them out - it's his job - but anyone who thinks the board will sack him in our current position, or when he makes us safe in February, or when we get our highest ever PL points total (all of which is still far more probable than not, if not the certainty that it looked) may as well bark at the moon.

Me, I'm going to sit back, watch the football, enjoy the drama. Nothing's forever. Not even my predilection for a patronising post on the internet.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 10:35 - Jan 26 with 1490 viewsDizzy

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 05:11 - Jan 26 by FerrieBodde

Who is the right person for long term when we wont ever have a long term solution? If we have a succesful manager he will leave. You are barking up the wrong tree.
The only hope we have of a "long term solution" is by appointing someone who isnt going to fk off when they have a great season under their belt.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 10:40]
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 10:53 - Jan 26 with 1464 viewsDr_Winston

I wouldn't necessarily see a "long term solution" as the right move for us. We have thrived on change. Benefitted from it. Unless we have the very rarest of managerial talents on board then eventually we will become stale and predictable.

It can be entirely healthy to have a new perspective every couple of years at the helm. As we appear to want to keep the same coaching staff from one manager to the next then you could argue that a fresh approach every couple of years is essential. Even Fergie went through a new assistant coach every couple of years to give him someone new to bounce off.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 11:17]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 10:56 - Jan 26 with 1460 viewslibertine

to get a good manager to stay is going to be difficult

the only way is to become a top club they tend to stay in top clubs longer.

I know a lot of Newport support us and we have great support from west wales and mid wales. we have the support to become big.

We are wales premier club after all. The board have got us here now what?

I guess the only way is to sell to someone with a lot of money .
Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 11:28 - Jan 26 with 1433 viewsswansealad69

Monk is not the right man to take us forward. on 10:56 - Jan 26 by libertine

to get a good manager to stay is going to be difficult

the only way is to become a top club they tend to stay in top clubs longer.

I know a lot of Newport support us and we have great support from west wales and mid wales. we have the support to become big.

We are wales premier club after all. The board have got us here now what?

I guess the only way is to sell to someone with a lot of money .

If we want to be a top club a lot has to change at board lebel down to the fans.
As much as our board have done a good job they still think like a small clubb
The ki fiasco were Jenkins openly made a statement saying we could still call him back only to find out we couldn't
And the lack of ergency on the extension? We have had sellouts since day and there are thousands off fans who cant get anywhere near a ticket
Then there are the fans who are small minded and happy just to linger midtable in the prem.
You only have to listen at were the kids come from durin the half time penalty's to know we have a growing fanbase.
Im sick at the negative attitudes towards investment at the club.
The board has taken us as far as they can and lack the ambition to actually push on and lack the funds.
Im not saying we should sell the club but want to see the club grow and push on.
Do we want to be a fulham or wigan?because if any business stands still they will start to go backward and sooner or later if we dont push one we will go back.
None off us want to go down the road we have in the past and I dont want huge transfer's to move forward
But I do want the club to look at investment and extension in order to grow the club.
With cardiff in all sorts off mess this is a great opportunity to be the biggest club in wales and take support from there fan base.
If we had the extension we would fill it and on lesser games give the chance for kids from schools to come.
We could run busses from west wales towns for people to buy a ticket and bus fare to come .
We have a great opportunity to go places as we are unique as we are the only non English side in the prem and apart from cardiff we could have the whole off wales supporting us
But the fiasco at cardiff will sort it self out in the end and they will have success so its up to us to make the most off this and build our fan base and club.
Why cant we be yop 3 in yhe prem in the futur? Just look at how far we have come
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024