Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rather NOT be the Premier League? 14:46 - Aug 17 with 3333 viewswestwalesed

Since the end of last season and with the ridiculous, obscene amounts of money flying around at the top level, there is something attractive about the lower leagues. I wouldn't mind a day out to Burton, or Forest Green Rovers or Hereford or Cheltenham.

But then I think of the struggle and the story for us to get here in the first place, how inspiring that was and how Premier League status is good for west Wales as a whole.

I'm totally conflicted, but there is a part of me which wants to say sod it, don't spend any money at all, get relegated and have fun in the Championship. Say thanks but no thanks to the Premier League.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:49 - Aug 17 with 2305 viewsDarran

I've felt a little like this for a couple of seasons.

I do not hope we get relegated and I do not want to get relegated but I certainly don't currently find it as enjoyable as I used to.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:51 - Aug 17 with 2291 viewsPegojack

I understand where the OP is coming from, but there are 72 clubs whose supporters would swop places with us in a heartbeat, including the shower up the road.

Enjoy it while it lasts, butty.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:51 - Aug 17 with 2290 viewswestwalesed

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:49 - Aug 17 by Darran

I've felt a little like this for a couple of seasons.

I do not hope we get relegated and I do not want to get relegated but I certainly don't currently find it as enjoyable as I used to.

Agreed, I can't say I want us to be relegated, but if we do go down, I really don't think I'd be that bothered.

And if we are going to go down then lets not waste any money on a futile attempt to stay up! Remember where we came from etc.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:59 - Aug 17 with 2240 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I love it ,Its the best league in the world,enjoy it ,because it won't last forever & when we leave it ,it could be for a very very long time .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 15:03 - Aug 17 with 2212 viewslifelong

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 14:59 - Aug 17 by oh_tommy_tommy

I love it ,Its the best league in the world,enjoy it ,because it won't last forever & when we leave it ,it could be for a very very long time .

Agree with this, it was a remarkable journey to get where we are, it's been a more remarkable achievement that we have just started our seventh consecutive season in the top flight...long may it continue.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 15:07 - Aug 17 with 2198 viewsDr_Winston

If we were in the lower leagues we'd be dreaming of the top flight. Now we're here people are moaning.

Football fans are brilliant.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:36 - Aug 17 with 1990 viewssP7qupUf

It is important we stay there. If we go down I cannot ever see us coming back. On a wider note than just the footballing angle, the PL is vital to the economy of Swansea. We are not a wealthy city and lots of jobs depend on it.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:41 - Aug 17 with 1968 viewslonglostjack

It's how capitalism works. Big business screwing the average punter over and no real competition.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:43 - Aug 17 with 1952 viewsOldjack

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 15:03 - Aug 17 by lifelong

Agree with this, it was a remarkable journey to get where we are, it's been a more remarkable achievement that we have just started our seventh consecutive season in the top flight...long may it continue.

Every fan outside of the prem wants to see their team play in this unforgiving league ,it is a miracle that we one of the smallest clubs in it have lasted for so long

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:47 - Aug 17 with 1915 viewsJethroJack

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:43 - Aug 17 by Oldjack

Every fan outside of the prem wants to see their team play in this unforgiving league ,it is a miracle that we one of the smallest clubs in it have lasted for so long

So, if we drop into the Championship, what happens then?
Should we aim for mid-table each season to avoid the "risk" of getting back with into the Premiership?
Bonkers!
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:51 - Aug 17 with 1898 viewsE20Jack

Best days of my Swansea supporting life was spent in the lower leagues. No question. The thought of being on Match of the Day every week was incredible, and something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. FA Cup time and the chance to test ourselves against the big boys was exhilarating prospect.

But we have reached the pinnacle in my opinion. Scrapping enough points together to stay up against teams we play every year is hardly the most exciting thing in the world. The Premier League has ruined itself. Over exposure, over familiarity and overrated.

Having said that if we go down now it will all seem pretty pointless, weird scenario being that if we go down - again the main goal will be to get back to the level we feel pretty apathetic about. Its not a quandry I want to put myself in as I fear I may lose my enthusiasm for the game. I would have seen the club achieve all I ever thought it could and more.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:55 - Aug 17 with 1882 viewsPrivate_Partz

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:36 - Aug 17 by sP7qupUf

It is important we stay there. If we go down I cannot ever see us coming back. On a wider note than just the footballing angle, the PL is vital to the economy of Swansea. We are not a wealthy city and lots of jobs depend on it.

Spot on. Our only flagships are our University and or football team. The UK Government cares little about Wales and WAG care even less about Swansea.
We need all the marketing tools to promote our City and there is nothing better than this league. It pains them in the East but Swansea is better known worldwide than it's joking Capital.
It is vital we stay here. There is an opportunity to go to MK Dons very shortly. Let's enjoy such trips in early round cup matches for as long as possible.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2017 16:40]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:57 - Aug 17 with 1865 viewsMo_Wives

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:51 - Aug 17 by E20Jack

Best days of my Swansea supporting life was spent in the lower leagues. No question. The thought of being on Match of the Day every week was incredible, and something I never thought I would see in my lifetime. FA Cup time and the chance to test ourselves against the big boys was exhilarating prospect.

But we have reached the pinnacle in my opinion. Scrapping enough points together to stay up against teams we play every year is hardly the most exciting thing in the world. The Premier League has ruined itself. Over exposure, over familiarity and overrated.

Having said that if we go down now it will all seem pretty pointless, weird scenario being that if we go down - again the main goal will be to get back to the level we feel pretty apathetic about. Its not a quandry I want to put myself in as I fear I may lose my enthusiasm for the game. I would have seen the club achieve all I ever thought it could and more.

"Ah have beeeen to the top of the mountain. And I've looked over. And aye have seen the promised land. And frankly, it f*cking stinks" (Jack Luther King jr)

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:03 - Aug 17 with 1835 viewsE20Jack

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:57 - Aug 17 by Mo_Wives

"Ah have beeeen to the top of the mountain. And I've looked over. And aye have seen the promised land. And frankly, it f*cking stinks" (Jack Luther King jr)

Very true Mo. I felt like I have climbed Everest with the Swans, achieved the impossible. If I was to go back down, my desire would never be the same again to reach the summit. It is something we would have already achieved.

Who knows how I will feel though, I am just mentally putting myself in that position and at this moment I think that is how it would feel.

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:05 - Aug 17 with 1828 viewsAguycalledJack

Let's just remember we spent years trying to get where we are.

Don't get me wrong I loved the lower leagues with the 6 am starts to Darlington, Rotherham Rochdale et al. Friendships were made that last to this day memories made that will never be replaced.

But let's get it right and take the rose tinted specs off. Mainly those days were crap.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:07 - Aug 17 with 1818 viewsMo_Wives

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:03 - Aug 17 by E20Jack

Very true Mo. I felt like I have climbed Everest with the Swans, achieved the impossible. If I was to go back down, my desire would never be the same again to reach the summit. It is something we would have already achieved.

Who knows how I will feel though, I am just mentally putting myself in that position and at this moment I think that is how it would feel.

Like Wilfried Bony going to Man City then back to us.

On a serious note there is something that's lost when you achieve your aims. A bit of majic of the unknown.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:09 - Aug 17 with 1809 viewsMrSwerve

When I was watching Steve Watkin slice a shot from 10 yards out against the likes of Grimsby Town or Rushden and Diamonds on a pissing down night in a stadium smelling of piss I would have laughed if you'd told me of the current situation.

We're in the top flight with a very good stadium and as has been said, people would kill for our position. What's the point in fighting in the lower leagues if you don't enjoy where we are now?

Football is changing. The championship is very corporate as is most of league one. We need to get used to it.

We're an established Premier League team. Let that sink in.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 19:10]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:22 - Aug 17 with 1772 viewsbermudajack

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:09 - Aug 17 by MrSwerve

When I was watching Steve Watkin slice a shot from 10 yards out against the likes of Grimsby Town or Rushden and Diamonds on a pissing down night in a stadium smelling of piss I would have laughed if you'd told me of the current situation.

We're in the top flight with a very good stadium and as has been said, people would kill for our position. What's the point in fighting in the lower leagues if you don't enjoy where we are now?

Football is changing. The championship is very corporate as is most of league one. We need to get used to it.

We're an established Premier League team. Let that sink in.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 19:10]

I can't wait till we go down...

sort the real fans out, more games, cheaper season tickets, crazy football, no Americans taking chunks of our profits... no money grabbing mercenaries...weekends in Nottingham, Sheffield, Bolton... derby matches against Cardiff, Bristol, Reading....

Bring it on FFS 😂😂😂

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:29 - Aug 17 with 1750 viewsE20Jack

Tell you what would get my juices flowing again though.

If the Trust acquired the club. That way I know that when and if we did get promoted again, then we can invest ever penny from a player sale into the squad. That would be hugely exciting. They would need a complete overhaul though top to bottom.

Unfortunately after todays news that prospect now looks a distant dream. Can't see it ever happening now.

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:34 - Aug 17 with 1733 viewsSTID2017

Also even if we went down to the Championship, there's no saying we won't become a fixture playing (bar 6) more or less the same teams every season.
Better the Devil we know IMHO

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:40 - Aug 17 with 1702 viewsjack2jack

I like the fact we are in the PL,and long may it continue.What is happening to football at this level and the way fans are treated is another debate.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 19:55 - Aug 17 with 1660 viewsplasjack

We are a lot wealthier than a lot of European giants, thanks to the premier league, long may it continue.
Those that want relegation are deluded.
Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 20:03 - Aug 17 with 1628 viewscentrestandswan

Premier League we have found is made up of the usual top six,Leicester being the exception, ( or who ever has spent a ridiculous amount of money via some multi-millionaire ) dominating the scene year in year out. Ourselves and the likes of WBA, Stoke WHU and the others usual suspects just try to hang on in there and don't get themselves turned over every week. Everton are a club desperate to get in among the big boys hence their recent signings.

A long stay in the PL is the aim and I would not like to swap it but it is a very hard experience without much enjoyment (last season) . It is like being in a job you do not like but the pays great.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 20:04 - Aug 17 with 1628 viewsOldjack

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 18:47 - Aug 17 by JethroJack

So, if we drop into the Championship, what happens then?
Should we aim for mid-table each season to avoid the "risk" of getting back with into the Premiership?
Bonkers!

i take it you're replying to the OP

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Rather NOT be the Premier League? on 20:30 - Aug 17 with 1536 viewspencoedjack

Excellent post E20
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024