Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Areas of Swansea that hold a special 20:08 - Jan 27 with 8365 viewscentrestandswan

place in your hearts (not football related).

Uplands where I met my wife, Mumbles where my mother used to live and good old Morriston where I worked for over ten years especially Slate Street where you could park your car all day and not have to pay 😁

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 00:01 - Jan 28 with 1943 viewsLohengrin

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 23:58 - Jan 27 by TNT

Catching a Yellow-necked Field Mouse in my over-night trap, at Park Mill residential, at the age of 10.

Mumbles mile, went out with a girl on her 18th birthday in Cinderella's - now wife of 32 years.

Street corner, waiting for The Sporting Post.

(Sorry it's football related, but...) The North Bank.

”Street corner, waiting for The Sporting Post.”

Drinking in the lane outside The Garibaldi when the chap came around selling the green paper in question.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 08:00 - Jan 28 with 1856 viewsepaul

Great thread, I'm sure we could list endless places around our grear city that bring back happy memories.

Some personal one of mines, Brynhyfryd Square, grew up in the area, its was my paper round, Dillwyn Arms, rough pub with some great characters in it, I also worked in the fruit and veg shop next to the juniors as a teen, the owner Ray an ex Sgt Major would let me go at 2 15 on a Sat so could dash down to the Vetch.

Cwn level park, where you and loads others would just turn up and starting playing footie, with many more joining in as they arrived, usually ending up with 20 a side and the winner was first to 30, or the next goal lol

Caswell, we'd all cycle there every day during the school hols, get burnt to a crisp and suffer cycling home
Same as other with the nightclubs / kingsway, great Sat nights out in the 80's

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 09:17 - Jan 28 with 1817 viewsbuilthjack

I remember the first time, early 80s, that I walked in the Townhill (Fairfield) social club, late afternoon on a Friday. 200 pairs of eyes on me wondering " who the fck is that ", and me thinking here we go. But all was fine.
It became a regular stop off on a Friday.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 09:31 - Jan 28 with 1801 viewsGreatBritton

I was brought up in Plymouth Street (gone now) and hung around outside Eynon's and The Windsor chip shop (both gone) sniffing the aromas. When I deemed myself old enough to smoke - 14 yrs - I used to peruse the wonderful array of exotic tobacco items in Edwin Hall's at the end of St Helen's Road (gone now). The sound of EEE BOH (as Evening Post seemed to be pronounced by dishevelled street sellers) excited me on an early Saturday evening before I read of the latest disappointing performance at The Vetch, then off to The Swansea Castle for pinball ("flipper") and illicit beer. The pub is obvously gone now.

Swansea was a smorgasbord. But I guess anywhere would have been. But anywhere else
wouldn't have had Pwll Du a mere No 64 bus away.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 09:36 - Jan 28 with 1797 viewsLegend83

Great thread - I left Swansea when I was 13 back in 1997 but still have fond memories of growing up there.

Grew up in Brynmill
- penny sweets from Kays
- packet of crisps with Mum in the Rhyddings
- hours spend in Brynmill Park

Moved to Mount Pleasant
- the view over Swansea Bay from our 3rd floor
- out on the BMX up Terrace Road and the quarry
- meeting my best mate in St James Park after school (the post tw@t went to Ffynone House)
- going down Constitution Hill on the bike

Three Cliffs Bay
Caswell
Playing cricket for Murton

Spending the last afternoon with my dad in his garden in Three Crosses before he died last Easter.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 09:43 - Jan 28 with 1789 viewsnicky

Ynystawe Park in my "courting" days!

Saturday afternoons in the city centre - Market, HMV, Virgin, Derrick's, Good Habit (bit of a hippy) and Peter Jones' cafe for lunch (always cottage pie and chips and green pop)

Pre-match in the Singleton for some Ruddles County and then watch the band there in the night. The Cardiff Arms, The Duke on Wind Street.

Mount Pleasant tech and bunking off to go and see them build parts of the marina.

Forte's at Limeslade Bay for an ice cream.......
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 09:58 - Jan 28 with 1772 views1983

Summers on Caswell Bay in the early mid 90's playing football and chatting up clunge then seeing your mug on the TV screens being played in Martha's.

How cool

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 10:33 - Jan 28 with 1755 viewsPegojack

Not counting the Vetch, my memories would start with Swansea University 1974-77, living in Hendrefoilan student village, drinking in the Black Boy, Killay (pint of Manns-top please!).
Then early to mid eighties, living in Woolacott Drive behind Caswell, jogging the lanes around Newton, Murton, Caswell and back home up Langland Hill. Walking down to Mumbles for Saturday morning shopping followed by pint or two of Bass in White Rose. Visits to Swansea central library for shares research (no internet in them days). Driving up and down Mumbles Road to town, or down Newton Road to pick up a takeaway or chips. And working in the now long demolished Velindre tinplate works, changing in the old sports pavilion and jogging around the surrounding lanes of a lunchtime. Happy days.
Login to get fewer ads

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 10:36 - Jan 28 with 1752 viewsBLAZE

Pantycelyn Road and Nicander Parade, both the best views in Swansea and the best views of Swansea

The path behind Mayhill school is a personal favourite if you look past the burned out cars and avoid the wild horses. Spent many an hour there overlooking our city when I've needed time to myself, with music in my ears and wind on my face. Love it.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 10:47 - Jan 28 with 1725 viewsthe_oracle

Underhill park and the Castle Field in the 1960's. Football in the winter and long summers playing cricket with a great group of friends. Jumpers for goal posts and a box as a wicket. Drinking water from the brass tap at the side of the old pavilion. A six of chips for lunch from Johnnies. Not going home till tea time.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 12:55 - Jan 28 with 1663 viewsPrivate_Partz

With you on the Uplands bit. My first home was in Hawthorne Avenue. My mother used to take me shopping there before I started in Brynmill Infants.
How I wish I could go back to those days and have another shot at it knowing what I know now lol.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:03 - Jan 28 with 1545 viewsTNT

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 00:01 - Jan 28 by Lohengrin

”Street corner, waiting for The Sporting Post.”

Drinking in the lane outside The Garibaldi when the chap came around selling the green paper in question.

I was 14 at the time... but then, maybe you were too!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:06 - Jan 28 with 1541 viewsJackfath

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 10:47 - Jan 28 by the_oracle

Underhill park and the Castle Field in the 1960's. Football in the winter and long summers playing cricket with a great group of friends. Jumpers for goal posts and a box as a wicket. Drinking water from the brass tap at the side of the old pavilion. A six of chips for lunch from Johnnies. Not going home till tea time.

The water from that Brass tap was the best water I've ever tasted anywhere, ever.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:23 - Jan 28 with 1519 viewsBloodyhills

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:47 - Jan 27 by Lord_Bony

Barons

The DVLC Christmas parties.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:24 - Jan 28 with 1514 viewsBloodyhills

As a child used to love the crazy golf and rowing proper wooden boats at Singleton Park. Also good for gathering up conkers in Autumn.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:35 - Jan 28 with 1499 viewsLohengrin

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:03 - Jan 28 by TNT

I was 14 at the time... but then, maybe you were too!

Alas not, mate. I was well into my thirties when we made the move to The Liberty.

Mind you, mentally I said stick when I turned seventeen.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:37 - Jan 28 with 1496 viewsFlashberryjack

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 23:43 - Jan 27 by jackharris

Steak By Night - Lush Garlic Bread
St Helens (Cricket)
Llanmadoc - lovely quiet beach
Swansea Valley - by the Cray reservoir, lovely walks
Hight Street Train Station - Walking on Welsh soil again. Coming home from London on a Friday Evening to go and watch the Swans at the Vetch and the Liberty Stadium.
Singleton Hospital Maternity Ward
Mount Pleasant Hospital - for my birth
Woolworths
WHSmiths
Marks and Spencer Simply Food
HMV - before the easy access to media
Mumbles
JT Morgan’s

Ah! the Cray reservoir, lovely place, spent many happy days rabbiting in the winter there and fly fishing for trout in the summer.

Beautiful part of the Swansea valley it is...me and the missus visit the Tafarn y Garreg pub quite a lot, especially in the summer, we meet loads of bikers and walkers from all over the UK and many from abroad.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 19:50 - Jan 28 with 1454 viewszedlep

Glais RFC and Oystermouth Castle (the latter was where I proposed to my wife and the silly darlin’ accepted!)
Barons, Harper’s and the Valbonne!

Zedzdead

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:05 - Jan 28 with 1429 viewsswan65split

The Park , boozer, and the Market,
the old Club shop.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:08 - Jan 28 with 1428 viewsjack2jack

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 19:50 - Jan 28 by zedlep

Glais RFC and Oystermouth Castle (the latter was where I proposed to my wife and the silly darlin’ accepted!)
Barons, Harper’s and the Valbonne!

You a Glais boy Zep?If you don't mind me asking.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:36 - Jan 28 with 1404 viewstnetennba

As a former Winch Wen lad it would have to be the Halfway Park, then latterly the Halfway Inn. Winch Wen, Bonymaen, Trallwn and Talycopa were always frequented. Take me back tomorrow ❤️
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 21:07 - Jan 28 with 1361 viewscanhecatchit

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:55 - Jan 27 by WxmJax

Jersey Road, Bonymaen. Looking out at all those lights over Swansea at night when I should have been in bed (I'd never seen so many) and Mumbles road after Blackpill.

Wouldn't see much from here now all the trees have grown so tall lol

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 21:56 - Jan 28 with 1318 viewsMuteswan

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 18:06 - Jan 28 by Jackfath

The water from that Brass tap was the best water I've ever tasted anywhere, ever.

Came straight from the showers waste pipe.
Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 22:17 - Jan 28 with 1284 viewsWxmJax

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 21:07 - Jan 28 by canhecatchit

Wouldn't see much from here now all the trees have grown so tall lol

There weren't any trees there when I was a lad, or houses. I loved going to Les's sweet shop for a treat when we arrived on a Friday evening. The chippy opposite put their prices up from 3p,4p and 5p a bag to 4p, 5p and 6p a bag. My mum said we'd never go there again

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 22:20 - Jan 28 with 1279 viewszedlep

Areas of Swansea that hold a special on 20:08 - Jan 28 by jack2jack

You a Glais boy Zep?If you don't mind me asking.

Not from Glais but played for them back in the 80s, so did my brother and many years before, so did my Grandfather. You from there?

Zedzdead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024