Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunday Times Article 09:45 - Apr 19 with 6766 viewsTenbySwan

Massive Sunday Times Article today which lists many failings of the Government handling of the Pandemic including unbelievably Boris missing FIVE Cobra meetings in February.
ST is behind a pay wall but can be read here.
https://archive.is/20200418182037/ https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwa
Sunday Times Article on 14:07 - Apr 20 with 1333 viewsScotia

I don't think we needed warehouses stuffed with PPE.

If we can get formula 1 teams and vacuum cleaner manufacturers making ventilators I'm pretty certain anyone with a sewing machine could make scrubs. People seem to be making visors with 3D printers.

Of course we need ventilators but a call should have gone out to all organisations that could possibly help to do so. PPE, Ventilators, testing kits the lot.

I just seems that the government have ignored the basics.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 14:09]
Sunday Times Article on 14:19 - Apr 20 with 1311 viewsblackpooljack

Sunday Times Article on 10:18 - Apr 19 by exiledclaseboy

Yet the latest voting intention poll has the Tories nearly 20% ahead on 51%.

That probably says more about peoples total lack of trust in the Labour party than it does with satisfaction in the Government I'd have thought
Sunday Times Article on 14:44 - Apr 20 with 1283 viewsGlyn1

Sunday Times Article on 14:07 - Apr 20 by Scotia

If we can get formula 1 teams and vacuum cleaner manufacturers making ventilators I'm pretty certain anyone with a sewing machine could make scrubs. People seem to be making visors with 3D printers.

Of course we need ventilators but a call should have gone out to all organisations that could possibly help to do so. PPE, Ventilators, testing kits the lot.

Except that the ventilators made by the formula 1 teams have been rejected as being not fit for purpose. Does anyone know if they are still doing them?

But someone here did make a good point that there are still small garment workshops especially in the north of England (as in Coronation Street) who could switch to making PPE. Many of them have contacted the Govt to offer their services but not had any response. Some think that's because it's easier for the Govt to work with a few big firms (such as Burberry) rather than lot of tiny ones. That might be correct but it's a pity. Burberry ship their goods from the Far East, the small workshops are in Manchester, Birmingham etc.

By the way, I haven't watched Corrie for years - are they being realistic about the lockdown or are they in a parallel world?
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 14:45]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Sunday Times Article on 14:55 - Apr 20 with 1251 viewsjasper_T

Sunday Times Article on 14:07 - Apr 20 by Scotia

Turns out we actually did need stockpiles as bureaucracy delays the establishment of new production of essential supplies even in times of global crisis.

The announcements of big companies (and big Tory donors) stepping in to save the day/reinvent the wheel have been followed by sod all actual useful product delivered to the front lines. PR rather than PPE.
Sunday Times Article on 15:05 - Apr 20 with 1233 viewslondonlisa2001

Sunday Times Article on 14:44 - Apr 20 by Glyn1

Except that the ventilators made by the formula 1 teams have been rejected as being not fit for purpose. Does anyone know if they are still doing them?

But someone here did make a good point that there are still small garment workshops especially in the north of England (as in Coronation Street) who could switch to making PPE. Many of them have contacted the Govt to offer their services but not had any response. Some think that's because it's easier for the Govt to work with a few big firms (such as Burberry) rather than lot of tiny ones. That might be correct but it's a pity. Burberry ship their goods from the Far East, the small workshops are in Manchester, Birmingham etc.

By the way, I haven't watched Corrie for years - are they being realistic about the lockdown or are they in a parallel world?
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 14:45]

The ventilator usage in hospitals has been lower than expected as the CPAP ones are proving more useful apparently.

So it may be that the numbers of ventilators needed is not what was thought.

Burberry are using their factory in Castleford to make gowns not the Far East btw.
Sunday Times Article on 15:08 - Apr 20 with 1228 viewslondonlisa2001

Sunday Times Article on 14:55 - Apr 20 by jasper_T

Turns out we actually did need stockpiles as bureaucracy delays the establishment of new production of essential supplies even in times of global crisis.

The announcements of big companies (and big Tory donors) stepping in to save the day/reinvent the wheel have been followed by sod all actual useful product delivered to the front lines. PR rather than PPE.

Barbour have been supplying their local hospitals in Newcastle with gowns every day.

The PPE situation is awful, but the quantities involved are mind boggling.
Sunday Times Article on 15:19 - Apr 20 with 1210 viewsjack2jack

So basically its a massive fvck up!
Sunday Times Article on 16:23 - Apr 20 with 1162 viewsHighjack

Sunday Times Article on 14:19 - Apr 20 by blackpooljack

That probably says more about peoples total lack of trust in the Labour party than it does with satisfaction in the Government I'd have thought

Is the correct answer. How anybody can “trust” any of them is completely beyond me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Sunday Times Article on 16:53 - Apr 20 with 1137 viewsraynor94

100% correct, I'm a lifelong member of the GMB, but I could never have voted for Corbyn.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Sunday Times Article on 17:01 - Apr 20 with 1131 viewsmonmouth

Sunday Times Article on 16:53 - Apr 20 by raynor94

100% correct, I'm a lifelong member of the GMB, but I could never have voted for Corbyn.

I detest Corbyn and his circus of clowns, but voted for it. Why? Because of what we've frigging well got.

He wouldn't have lasted two minutes, but the Tories would have had to punt all these shysters in favour of the people who just f*cked off in disgust with the Johnson Cumsinhispants axis.

The only choice was Johnson or Corbyn. If you didn't vote for Corbyn you have to suck up Johnson, and probably for the full duration.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Sunday Times Article on 17:11 - Apr 20 with 1114 viewssherpajacob

The government rebuttal is a re writing of history according to the editor of the lancet.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Sunday Times Article on 17:50 - Apr 20 with 1083 viewsmagicdaps10

Sunday Times Article on 17:01 - Apr 20 by monmouth

I detest Corbyn and his circus of clowns, but voted for it. Why? Because of what we've frigging well got.

He wouldn't have lasted two minutes, but the Tories would have had to punt all these shysters in favour of the people who just f*cked off in disgust with the Johnson Cumsinhispants axis.

The only choice was Johnson or Corbyn. If you didn't vote for Corbyn you have to suck up Johnson, and probably for the full duration.

Johnson is going to jail by all accounts 😂🤣

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Sunday Times Article on 18:22 - Apr 20 with 1061 viewschad

Sunday Times Article on 15:08 - Apr 20 by londonlisa2001

Barbour have been supplying their local hospitals in Newcastle with gowns every day.

The PPE situation is awful, but the quantities involved are mind boggling.

I just really cannot get my head around it.

Take our very own Jim on here who put his health on the line and thankfully came out the other side

Jim is one person in a whole chain of care for each individual patient, Jim posted ...

Corona Virus
at 18:34 2 Apr 2020

Yes treating every patient now as if they had coronavirus its the best way so changing up to 40 times a shift all the throw away stuf

How in gods name in the light of a world shortage do we long term supply that to every link in the chain for every patient for every day, presumably for multiple patient attentions in a day just on the non CV wards where care has to be taken not to pass it from patient to patient, staff to staff, staff to patient or patient to staff.

How the hell can the care homes manage when they are continually swapping attention/ contact between many patients sometimes on a second by second basis when helping with food etc.

It was fairly obvious the problem was not primarily one of distribution when you can drive from Lands End to John O’ Groats in a single day all in daylight
Sunday Times Article on 18:25 - Apr 20 with 1054 viewsHighjack

Sunday Times Article on 17:01 - Apr 20 by monmouth

Every election is a straight up choice between a shit group of people and another shit group of people. With a couple of minor parties of shit people on the peripherals.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Sunday Times Article on 18:33 - Apr 20 with 1038 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Or it shows just how stupid sections of the electorate really are. 10 years of needless austerity, stripping back our ability to respond to this crisis and people still think that the tories are more trustworthy? If that’s true then they’re f*cking idiots .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Sunday Times Article on 19:16 - Apr 20 with 1010 viewsNeath_Jack

Some prominent Tory posters missing from this thread.

Someone start a Diane Abbott thread, that'll eek them out.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Sunday Times Article on 19:25 - Apr 20 with 991 viewsexiledclaseboy

Sunday Times Article on 19:16 - Apr 20 by Neath_Jack

I’ve just read the article in full in Itchy’s other thread. It’s pretty damning. Now to find the government rebuttal that they apparently released today.

Poll: Tory leader

Sunday Times Article on 19:56 - Apr 20 with 968 viewswaynekerr55

Sunday Times Article on 19:25 - Apr 20 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve just read the article in full in Itchy’s other thread. It’s pretty damning. Now to find the government rebuttal that they apparently released today.

I think James O'Brien summed the rebuttal up well. "Something for their loyal followers to wave".

Classic Dom, getting us proles arguing amongst ourselves whilst the incumbents burn tbe country down.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Sunday Times Article on 20:40 - Apr 20 with 919 viewschad

Sunday Times Article on 19:16 - Apr 20 by Neath_Jack

Probably playing tennis with Boris :)
Sunday Times Article on 22:03 - Apr 20 with 847 viewsmajorraglan

Sunday Times Article on 10:42 - Apr 19 by BarrySwan

I don't really have any time for theTories but it seems everybody who doesn't have the responsibility for dealing with this crisis are suddenly health and logistic experts knowing of course that because they have no responsibilities they' can just snipe from the sidelines safe in the knowledge that they won't be called out themselves because they thankfully. don't actually have any input to the situation at all.

Every man and his dog is now an instant health and logistics expert within there course of 6 weeks or so.

Can you just imagine Corbyn, Abbott,Lammy, Ashworth, Wrong Daily, McDonnell etc etc at the helm dealing with this?

Whilst I am as appalled as anyone at NHS workers and Carers not having sufficient PPE equipment does anyone really suggest that there should have been dozens of warehouses up and down the country stuffed to the gunnels with £millions and £millions of PPE equipment mouldering away much of it going out of date just in case of such an unknown emergency.

If the NHS had done so there would have been accusations of the waste of £millions of pounds that could have been spent on treating patients under normal conditions.

Any business in the country would collapse if they just had warehouses rammed full of stock just waiting for an unforseen rainy day.

And once the emergency arrived worldwide we have seen that all stock worldwide much of it of course tied to Chinese industries has been fought over by every country.

The most glaring issue of course is the highlighting of just exactly how much our domestic industry has been run down by both Conservative and Labour Governments over the years to the extent that we as a country are reliant on the Chinese for just about everything in times such as these.

There needs to be a major rethink after this is over.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:44]

In response to your observation about warehouses up and down the country toting PPE, of course we should have sufficient stocks in storage to be able to deal with pandemics. With proper management effective management there’s no reason why the equipment would “moulder away” and go out of date.

In the last 10 or 11 years the world has seen SARS, MERs and now Covid19. Issues were allegedly highlighted by Cygnus in 2016 - the report has never seen the light of day but I have a feeling it will be day.
Sunday Times Article on 00:26 - Apr 21 with 793 viewschad

Sunday Times Article on 13:54 - Apr 20 by builthjack

Yes. A serial conman of the highest order. Are people too thick to see it?

What can you expect, probably also thought our PPE ‘shipment’ was coming on a boat ;)

Or thought Brown was PM during the major foot and mouth outbreak. Perhaps mixing it up with the pensions fiasco.

Perhaps they just wanted out of the EU and had the foresight to see the main players would just revert to type in an emergency and protect themselves and let the devil take the hindmost. Or even had the foresight to see that the pursuit of more and more globalisation was a policy likely to lead to the sort of thing we are facing now and that building an EU ‘Empire’ with its own Army was not a good thing when even its supporters considered it clueless and impotent.

Perhaps they were Jewish or white men and had enough of the racism.

Perhaps they didn’t like histories of hatred for the UK and support for terrorist groups.

If only politics were more like pick and mix rather than a tub of quality street.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024