Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caulker Interview 12:42 - Jun 29 with 11210 viewsMrSheen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-a
Caulker Interview on 12:45 - Jun 29 with 6967 viewsGloucs_R

Probably on my own...but I'd give him another chance.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Caulker Interview on 12:53 - Jun 29 with 6911 viewsTacticalR

That's quite a horror story. Interesting that Holloway could see that packing him off to Russia wasn't a good idea.

Air hostess clique

Caulker Interview on 12:59 - Jun 29 with 6870 viewsdaveB

really sad story, hope the fella sorts himself out either with us or somewhere else
Caulker Interview on 13:04 - Jun 29 with 6833 viewsKonk

Caulker Interview on 12:53 - Jun 29 by TacticalR

That's quite a horror story. Interesting that Holloway could see that packing him off to Russia wasn't a good idea.

That reflects very well on Holloway, who could probably do with Caulker being shifted off the payroll.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Caulker Interview on 13:04 - Jun 29 with 6832 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Slightly worrying reading from a Rangers point of view if the owners wanted to sell him but the manager was saying the opposite in private. However, that's Caulker's side of the story. Other versions might differ.

Either way, I really hope he learns to handle his issues. Football is not a matter of life and death.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Caulker Interview on 13:08 - Jun 29 with 6798 viewsfrancisbowles

We took him on, knowing he had these problems. We gave him the contract of which he has another year left. We have a duty of care. We should bring him back in when he is ready and see if he can challenge for a first team place.
Caulker Interview on 13:13 - Jun 29 with 6762 viewsdanehoop

Caulker Interview on 12:59 - Jun 29 by daveB

really sad story, hope the fella sorts himself out either with us or somewhere else

It is a terrible story (one that in a side note highights Ollie in a very positive light) but equally, and excuse the cynicism here, a story that appeared in the same paper as last year at the same time. Last year we were all told about how Sierra Leonne had turned his life around and he was getting back to his former self, just about the time the transfer window opened. This year, after arguably being even worse, we have another story about how he is turning his life around again.

I hope its true and that it works out for him - but that will have to be elsewhere. He wont get another fresh start with us after everything that has happened.

Never knowingly understood

Caulker Interview on 13:19 - Jun 29 with 6685 viewshopphoops

It seems the pressure to succeed in the game does for him, but he appears to have a lot to give otherwise. I hope he has the courage to step back, his true potential is more likely away from the playing side.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Login to get fewer ads

Caulker Interview on 13:19 - Jun 29 with 6684 viewsDorse

'QPR’s players reported for pre-season last Friday but Caulker, who has one year to run on his contract and has been training all summer with the former league player Drewe Broughton at Goals centre in Hayes, had been signed off until July. Life at the club had degenerated into an endless stream of internal disciplinary hearings and, despite Holloway having made clear his desire to retain the centre-half’s services, his future will not be at Loftus Road. “What happens next is all a bit confused, all a bit unclear,” he says. “The manager has texted me several times offering his support and saying he wants me at the club but my new representative has been informed by the owners I’m not welcome back.'

Hardly going to help his mental state, is it?

I genuinely feel for him but it's possible that football is the wrong environment for him at the moment. If he's in a fragile mental state, having 10,000 people watching his every move and jumping on any mistake is going to be tough to deal with, to say the least.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Caulker Interview on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 6664 viewsSuffolkHoop

I'm sympathetic to anyone with mental difficulties like this, and its a grey scale that we're all on one way or another.

But look after yourself better, give up drink.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 13:22]
Caulker Interview on 13:35 - Jun 29 with 6565 viewstoboboly

His annual pre-season sob story already? Clearly helping famine struck and war torn countries wasn't as soul cleansing as previously thought.

I work closely with the mental health team at my institution and he wants to see what real hardships are.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Caulker Interview on 13:49 - Jun 29 with 6481 viewssimmo

Caulker Interview on 12:45 - Jun 29 by Gloucs_R

Probably on my own...but I'd give him another chance.

What choice do we have? We pay him disgusting amounts and he's damaged goods.

I'd take this article a lot more at face value if I didn't read another puff piece through him and the Guardian a year ago saying all the right things but ultimately meaning fck all.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 13:53]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Caulker Interview on 13:52 - Jun 29 with 6462 viewspaulparker

Caulker Interview on 13:35 - Jun 29 by toboboly

His annual pre-season sob story already? Clearly helping famine struck and war torn countries wasn't as soul cleansing as previously thought.

I work closely with the mental health team at my institution and he wants to see what real hardships are.

Spot on

we owe him nothing , the bloke talks about owing the club something but has taken millions out of it without breaking a sweat for us, are we supposed to feel sorry for a bloke who is a fortunate position but would rather spend it p1ssing , shagging and gambling his life away , I said last year he should be training in the park on his own so thank god he is now , well done the club for taking a stance and not falling for his latest sob story
as you say I know a couple of people who have genuine mental health problems the difference between them and caulker are night and day

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Caulker Interview on 14:03 - Jun 29 with 6399 viewsAntti_Heinola

Caulker Interview on 13:49 - Jun 29 by simmo

What choice do we have? We pay him disgusting amounts and he's damaged goods.

I'd take this article a lot more at face value if I didn't read another puff piece through him and the Guardian a year ago saying all the right things but ultimately meaning fck all.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2017 13:53]

To be fair last year, it was all 'I'm a new person'. It isn't this year, far from it. He's clearly not remotely ready to be playing football.
He's saying very similar things to what Collymore said about his depression. Feel for him, and these issues have been there for years. The club may well have not done enough - few clubs would or do. But with these kind of problems it's going to be very difficult to be a pro footballer.
From the club's point of view, they'll feel like they've given him enough chances, it's not like it's one transgression and you're out.

Bare bones.

Caulker Interview on 14:12 - Jun 29 with 6320 viewsdavman

Caulker Interview on 14:03 - Jun 29 by Antti_Heinola

To be fair last year, it was all 'I'm a new person'. It isn't this year, far from it. He's clearly not remotely ready to be playing football.
He's saying very similar things to what Collymore said about his depression. Feel for him, and these issues have been there for years. The club may well have not done enough - few clubs would or do. But with these kind of problems it's going to be very difficult to be a pro footballer.
From the club's point of view, they'll feel like they've given him enough chances, it's not like it's one transgression and you're out.

Yep, he has had plenty of chances, hence the Internal Disciplinary hearings. But how in hell are we going to offload him now? Surely no-one would touch him with a barge pole and we can't be seen to offload him if he isn't mentally fit as who knows what he might do? Just imagine the headlines if we pay him off and then two months later he's found dead somewhere?

If he isn't on a recovery programme already, no doubt that the club will put him on one just like we did with Clarke Carlisle and they HAVE to try to get him playing again. If that is impossible, he will just run the contract down doing nothing.

Mental illness is horrendous on every level. Everyone looks at the money and says "what's wrong with you, you're rich", but I am not sure you'd have that view if it were cancer. He's ill, he needs help and, as long as he is willing to take that help (and pay for it), we should have some sympathy for him.

Such a shame as he looked good for the first few games last season...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Caulker Interview on 14:17 - Jun 29 with 6279 viewsqpr85

Seen it all before didn't the same journalist do a puff piece about Caulker going to an African village and that time he got his head straight.

He needs to knuckle down and get a season under his belt to see if he can still play if no then bin him in January.
Caulker Interview on 14:37 - Jun 29 with 6135 viewshopphoops

Caulker Interview on 13:52 - Jun 29 by paulparker

Spot on

we owe him nothing , the bloke talks about owing the club something but has taken millions out of it without breaking a sweat for us, are we supposed to feel sorry for a bloke who is a fortunate position but would rather spend it p1ssing , shagging and gambling his life away , I said last year he should be training in the park on his own so thank god he is now , well done the club for taking a stance and not falling for his latest sob story
as you say I know a couple of people who have genuine mental health problems the difference between them and caulker are night and day

Nobody's asking you to feel sorry for him, or to expect that he's reformed because of this interview. But it's not very useful to consider someone who makes it to the top of the game but then can't keep their life together as a scammer.

FWIW Perhaps he should be working with the mental health teams, could be good for all of them.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Caulker Interview on 14:42 - Jun 29 with 6111 viewsrobith

Tough read, have experienced a lot of what he talks about (to a less severe extent), and stings to read of someone else's suffering.

Don't really get people saying about the piece last year - I'm mostly on the level these days but today I'm under a lot of pressure and it's taking all my strength not to just go and cry in the toilets for an hour. Plus this is hardly a puff piece, lays it all pretty bare. These things are cyclical

But I guess he earns lots of money and wasn't great for us as a player so sod him
Caulker Interview on 14:42 - Jun 29 with 6106 viewsTacticalR

Caulker Interview on 14:03 - Jun 29 by Antti_Heinola

Yes, it's a completely different kind of article.

His problems sound so serious that I can't see him playing football for us or anyone else in the foreseeable future.

Air hostess clique

Caulker Interview on 14:42 - Jun 29 with 6104 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Caulker Interview on 14:42 - Jun 29 by robith

Tough read, have experienced a lot of what he talks about (to a less severe extent), and stings to read of someone else's suffering.

Don't really get people saying about the piece last year - I'm mostly on the level these days but today I'm under a lot of pressure and it's taking all my strength not to just go and cry in the toilets for an hour. Plus this is hardly a puff piece, lays it all pretty bare. These things are cyclical

But I guess he earns lots of money and wasn't great for us as a player so sod him

Good post, Robith. Much respect.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Caulker Interview on 14:51 - Jun 29 with 6039 viewsaussiehoop

I'm torn on this one as he's clearly had his chances and you can understand the clubs stance, however the bloke probably hasn't received the support he needed (regardless of how much money he makes or whether or not he recognised he needed help).

In an ideal world we'd sit him down and explain that we're willing to work with him through the issues but he'll need to sign a 12 month extension on much reduced terms and commit to taking up a fair share of the community initiatives the club runs - If he messes up then the club has grounds to release him from his contract... won't happen though
Caulker Interview on 14:56 - Jun 29 with 6000 viewsingeminate

Caulker Interview on 14:42 - Jun 29 by robith

the cynic in me can't help be drawn to this:

"I want people to remember I am a footballer who was good enough to represent his country at 20 and still has 10 years left in the game. At 40% of my ability, I was playing at the top level. Now I feel good mentally and I want the chance to show people, including my son, what I am truly capable of. "

Come and get me Mr Manager out there........ I'm all changed....

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Caulker Interview on 15:15 - Jun 29 with 5925 viewsCiderwithRsie

I think its a very honest piece, I respect him for that and sympathise.

That doesn't mean that I think he should be in a QPR shirt or even a professional footballer at all. It doesn't sound like he is mentally capable of it now and (given the inevitable pressures that go with a job you do in full sight of the public, some of whom legitimately want you to fail because you're playing for the other team) I'm not sure he ever was or will be.

Not only does Holloway come out of it quite well, but I think the quote from Levy was understandable and probably an attempt to get the guy to see what he was doing to himself. I can also understand the bloke quoted as saying "do what you like off the pitch so long as you can perform on it" - loads of maverick players have responded to that approach well when a stricter approach might have stifled their talent. It's a bloody hard one to call.

And I'm afraid that if the club hierarchy think they don't want Caulker in the side despite Holloway's views, then I can see their point. They do have a duty to the club, and it is very questionable at best whether the club is best served by retaining Caulker's services, and I'm not convinced that busting a gut to keep him here is in his own best interests either.

Clearly he's a talented player, so if what he said about Sierra Leone was genuine (and I'd take it at face value) I think he might be better off in a less high profile job where he can make use of his nurturing instincts, probably in coaching and youth development.
Caulker Interview on 15:26 - Jun 29 with 5877 viewsterryb

It would appear that at last Steven Caulker ia accepting of his problems. That is a massive step forward & until he had done so he had no chance of help, whether offered or not.

Never mind if he is able to play football again, he now has a chance to recover a little self respect & that is so important. Of course he will still have days when he will loathe himself & fail to understand why anyone would wish to love/support him. Each one of those days he will be in danger of falling back into the chasm of dispondancy & he will need to dredge up a great amount of courage & self believe to avert this.

It is not easy, but the reward for dragging yourself up from that pit is indescribable.

For the first time I can now support Steven & wish him all the best in his struggle. I do hope that he can surround himself with perople that have his best interests at heart and that they don't try to rush his recovery. It is very important for them to accept that he will only be able to discuss his problems (or talk in general) when he is up to it & then only with some people. That may not include those closest to him. My experience is that you can talk far more freely to those that you are not in danger of hurting.

It took me over forty years to accept (or even consider) that I suffered from depression. Making that acceptance was the hardest part for me, but strangely enough I then found it quite easy to admit to anyone (I probably bored many) that I had depression. Thankfully I climbed from the hole three(?) years ago & although coming close to the edge at times, so far I haven't really been in danger of returning.
Caulker Interview on 15:50 - Jun 29 with 5750 viewsDejR_vu

Hmm, difficult one. Clearly someone with these issues needs support, but it looks like he's had it. How many second chances do you give someone?

Given that it appears that Holloway wants him but the board don't, I would suggest if he's truly remorseful he would go to the club and offer to sign a two year deal on 5% of what he's earning now. Actions speak louder than words.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024