Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So that's the season over. 00:13 - Feb 1 with 8956 viewsconnell10

Looks like our season is over then, same time next year ??

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

So that's the season over. on 12:24 - Feb 1 with 2024 viewsPinnerPaul

So that's the season over. on 08:59 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

Sorry Oz, nothing personal but haven’t altered the team? Wells is one of, if not the, best strikers in the division on current form, Leistner’s started 2/3 of the games this season.

Our defence, which was already letting goals in like water through a sieve, now comprises:

Kane, enough said;
Manning, never a full back in a million years;
Hall, decentish
Masterson, potentially exceptional but has played less games than I have fingers;
Barbet, just a brooding male model;
Rangel, Wallace and, potentially Cameron, the official faces of the National Rhuematoid Arthritis Society;
Potentially Ball, who knows back there?

We just need Lumley to come back in now.

Sorry, just letting off steam.

Leistner's started 2/3 of the games and we still have the 2nd worse defence in the league, so how is replacing him with the younger, cheaper, more saleable, better prospect Masterson a negative???!!!!!!!!
So that's the season over. on 12:27 - Feb 1 with 2019 viewsPinnerPaul

So that's the season over. on 10:10 - Feb 1 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah I'm sure Oteh will slips seamlessly into Wells' position, scoring double figures in the process.

Except he's not been brought back for that has he?!
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 12:36]
So that's the season over. on 12:35 - Feb 1 with 1985 viewsjonno

So that's the season over. on 00:46 - Feb 1 by Hooparoo

Maybe they’ll surprise us and go on a good run in February. I think we sometimes forget they’re human beings and we underestimate how unsettling it is for the whole squad during the January Transfer period.

We’re about to find out.

Itmustbe so difficult for them, mustn't it? Cue all he pathetic excuses for pisspoor peeformances for the rest of the season,something footballers are very good at.
So that's the season over. on 12:36 - Feb 1 with 1988 viewsDavieQPR

Whatever slant you put on it my overall mood is one of disappointment but it could have been worse.
So that's the season over. on 12:45 - Feb 1 with 1972 viewsloftboy

So that's the season over. on 12:35 - Feb 1 by jonno

Itmustbe so difficult for them, mustn't it? Cue all he pathetic excuses for pisspoor peeformances for the rest of the season,something footballers are very good at.

The worrying thing is what Clive mentioned on his preview, we are playing to stagnate, there is zero ambition to go up yet the club will still expect people to hand over £500 + for the privilege, I always assumed that no matter what level football you were at the idea was to try and win whatever competition you were playing for. Take that away and what’s the point, may as well arrange 46 friendlies instead.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 12:46]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

So that's the season over. on 13:06 - Feb 1 with 1944 viewsBklynRanger

So that's the season over. on 09:23 - Feb 1 by bosh67

I agree. We've done well to keep Hugill, BOS, Eze and Chair. Shodipo is coming through and we haven't yet seem what Clarke at full match fitness and game time can do.

Biggest problem for me is an over reliance on Barbet and Hall staying fit between now and the end of the season. That is a worry.

That's about how I feel. Don't think that much will change.

Think there was a question asked a while ago about who people would rather sign, Wells or Hugil - Hugil came out on top iirc. Have no problem him being the main man, with the young whipper snappers we retained playing off him.

Losing Eze would have given us a lot less to be interested in but holding on to him, BOS and Chair offers a bit of hope for some continued entertainment at least.
So that's the season over. on 14:01 - Feb 1 with 1872 viewsTGRRRSSS

How did we do wellto keep Hugill - he's on loan and presumably if West Ham thought he'd be use to them hey'd have gone - and if someone was interested he'd have gone.

He#s helped this season don't get me wrong but he'#s a true middling Championship player at best - and on loan.

If BC had come in for him instead of Wells West Ham would I am sure have looked at it.
So that's the season over. on 17:39 - Feb 1 with 1834 viewsconnell10

As I said season over then, they felt like last game of the season, the crowd were flat!!

Login to get fewer ads

So that's the season over. on 17:53 - Feb 1 with 1795 viewsNov77

So that's the season over. on 17:39 - Feb 1 by connell10

As I said season over then, they felt like last game of the season, the crowd were flat!!

Season is far from over when you’ve got the worst defence in the league and just got rid of your main attacking threat.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

So that's the season over. on 18:44 - Feb 1 with 1712 viewstraininvain

So that's the season over. on 14:01 - Feb 1 by TGRRRSSS

How did we do wellto keep Hugill - he's on loan and presumably if West Ham thought he'd be use to them hey'd have gone - and if someone was interested he'd have gone.

He#s helped this season don't get me wrong but he'#s a true middling Championship player at best - and on loan.

If BC had come in for him instead of Wells West Ham would I am sure have looked at it.

Flawed logic. If Wells is that good then why didn’t Burnley keep him?
So that's the season over. on 18:46 - Feb 1 with 1701 viewsWatford_Ranger

So that's the season over. on 18:44 - Feb 1 by traininvain

Because he’s good enough to attract a decent bid and wage but not good enough for the Prem? Hugill ain’t.
So that's the season over. on 19:02 - Feb 1 with 1675 viewstraininvain

So that's the season over. on 18:46 - Feb 1 by Watford_Ranger

Because he’s good enough to attract a decent bid and wage but not good enough for the Prem? Hugill ain’t.

Hugill’s an ok Championship striker. Not much difference between him and Wells imo.

We’re not taking about a Charlie Austin here. Both fairly average Championship strikers. Let’s not get carried away about Wells.
So that's the season over. on 19:07 - Feb 1 with 1655 viewsStreathamRanger

Wells showed he is nothing more than a decent championship forward and 5 million is a lot to pay for a near 30 year old. Surprises me as Weimann and the big lad up front were both decent.
Also gives away possession defensively too easily be that through free kicks (2 or 3 today) or poor passes (cost us 2 or 3 goals this year). Did well for us but not as good as many would have you believe.

Hugill worked hard today. Wins a lot of headers. Not as good a finisher but he brings a bit of niggle that we lack without him. I like him.
So that's the season over. on 19:30 - Feb 1 with 1605 viewsMatch82

So that's the season over. on 19:07 - Feb 1 by StreathamRanger

Wells showed he is nothing more than a decent championship forward and 5 million is a lot to pay for a near 30 year old. Surprises me as Weimann and the big lad up front were both decent.
Also gives away possession defensively too easily be that through free kicks (2 or 3 today) or poor passes (cost us 2 or 3 goals this year). Did well for us but not as good as many would have you believe.

Hugill worked hard today. Wins a lot of headers. Not as good a finisher but he brings a bit of niggle that we lack without him. I like him.

I agree I quite like Hugill. Got a bit of niggle about him which we are missing elsewhere as you say. If the rest of the team were good enough (they aren't in our case, obviously) I think you could get promoted with him as your main striker.
So that's the season over. on 23:58 - Feb 1 with 1493 viewsBenny_the_Ball

So that's the season over. on 19:30 - Feb 1 by Match82

I agree I quite like Hugill. Got a bit of niggle about him which we are missing elsewhere as you say. If the rest of the team were good enough (they aren't in our case, obviously) I think you could get promoted with him as your main striker.

Disagree. He's simply a battering ram who chips in with the odd goal. Nowhere near accurate or clinical enough to lead a promotion charge as a main striker.

Now please read and digest the stats once and for all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Hugill only gets 30% of shots on target. This is way lower than his peers who average 50-60%. Even that donkey Patrick Bamford has a better ratio of 43%.

As for Wells, not only has he scored more goals than Hugill, he has provided 3 assists to Jordan's none and Nahki gets 60% of his shots on target (double Jordan's ratio). That is why he attracted interest in January and Hugill didn't.
So that's the season over. on 00:53 - Feb 2 with 1472 viewsozexile

So that's the season over. on 12:45 - Feb 1 by loftboy

The worrying thing is what Clive mentioned on his preview, we are playing to stagnate, there is zero ambition to go up yet the club will still expect people to hand over £500 + for the privilege, I always assumed that no matter what level football you were at the idea was to try and win whatever competition you were playing for. Take that away and what’s the point, may as well arrange 46 friendlies instead.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 12:46]

Spot on. We're the only professional sports team I know that seems to actively encourage losing matches. All in the hope of some fairytale brighter future.
So that's the season over. on 05:08 - Feb 2 with 1437 viewsMatch82

So that's the season over. on 23:58 - Feb 1 by Benny_the_Ball

Disagree. He's simply a battering ram who chips in with the odd goal. Nowhere near accurate or clinical enough to lead a promotion charge as a main striker.

Now please read and digest the stats once and for all:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Hugill only gets 30% of shots on target. This is way lower than his peers who average 50-60%. Even that donkey Patrick Bamford has a better ratio of 43%.

As for Wells, not only has he scored more goals than Hugill, he has provided 3 assists to Jordan's none and Nahki gets 60% of his shots on target (double Jordan's ratio). That is why he attracted interest in January and Hugill didn't.

I guess we will disagree on this one.
Firstly, I very clearly said he wouldn't be "leading" any promotion charges.

Secondly, I don't think anybody disagrees that Nakhi is a better finisher so I'm not surprised that his ratio is significantly better. But there's more to Hugill's game than just goals and there are elements, like his hold up play, which are much better than average for a striker in this league.

Thirdly nobody ever said he was better than Wells. Clearly, Wells isn't a permanent option with our budget constraints. Hugill is a fine striker for the championship, but he isn't going to pull you up to the premier league on his own. Not sure how I could have been more explicit about that.
So that's the season over. on 16:57 - Feb 2 with 1294 viewsTGRRRSSS

So that's the season over. on 18:44 - Feb 1 by traininvain

My logic wasn't flawed at all, Bristol City ain't prem league like Burnley.

My point was more that we didn't do well as such to keep Hugill he's simply not done enough to warrant either West Ham recalling him or someone else at least at our level or probably with more clout/money - promotion to challenge for coming in for him like was the case with BC/Wells albeit he he was a makeweight from Burnley as part of the deal.
So that's the season over. on 20:04 - Feb 2 with 1245 viewshorshamHoop

Is the season over - lot by a long way IMO.

I have enjoyed this season the most for a long time. I remember saying to my son at the Watford pre-season game that we will finish mid table. Even the bookmakers still think that.

We are going to the Trees away game whatever!

Yes I would have preferred to keep Wells and seen a stronger line up against Sheff Wed.But Masterson is a real find and those 3 young midfielders are worth turning up for alone. And Hugill is OK, at least he tries compared to that Hemed from Brighton last season.

I know we could do with a right back and a holding mid and of course a striker, but please this is light years ahead of what we had with the brolly man!

And something that is not often mentioned on here is that I really like John Eustace who I think contributes a lot behind the scenes.

That's it !
So that's the season over. on 20:18 - Feb 2 with 1216 viewsWatford_Ranger

I’m not saying it’s probable but there’s definitely a possibility of a late relegation battle with away games at Wigan, Luton and Charlton to look forward to.
So that's the season over. on 05:57 - Feb 3 with 1125 viewsBenny_the_Ball

So that's the season over. on 05:08 - Feb 2 by Match82

I guess we will disagree on this one.
Firstly, I very clearly said he wouldn't be "leading" any promotion charges.

Secondly, I don't think anybody disagrees that Nakhi is a better finisher so I'm not surprised that his ratio is significantly better. But there's more to Hugill's game than just goals and there are elements, like his hold up play, which are much better than average for a striker in this league.

Thirdly nobody ever said he was better than Wells. Clearly, Wells isn't a permanent option with our budget constraints. Hugill is a fine striker for the championship, but he isn't going to pull you up to the premier league on his own. Not sure how I could have been more explicit about that.

Firstly, you explicitly stated that you can get promoted with Hugill as your main striker:

"If the rest of the team were good enough (they aren't in our case, obviously) I think you could get promoted with him as your main striker."

For me, your main striker has to score goals. Hold up play alone doesn't cut it, especially with zero assists.

Secondly, there was a thread a few weeks back comparing Wells to Hugill. The majority of folk on here believed Hugill to be the better striker.

Thirdly, like Wells, Hugill also isn't a permanent option with our budget constraints.
So that's the season over. on 06:01 - Feb 3 with 1121 viewsBenny_the_Ball

So that's the season over. on 20:18 - Feb 2 by Watford_Ranger

I’m not saying it’s probable but there’s definitely a possibility of a late relegation battle with away games at Wigan, Luton and Charlton to look forward to.

Yep, those matches will be key.
So that's the season over. on 11:33 - Feb 3 with 1031 viewsconnell10

Not a great way to promote season ticket sales for next season

So that's the season over. on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 1023 viewsLunarJetman

If the season is over will the pissing and moaning now stop or have we still got to put up with it for the next 16 games?
So that's the season over. on 11:47 - Feb 3 with 1016 viewsconnell10

So that's the season over. on 11:39 - Feb 3 by LunarJetman

If the season is over will the pissing and moaning now stop or have we still got to put up with it for the next 16 games?

If you pay 535 quid for a season ticket mate your entitled to moan a bit surely! They sacked of the Cup and League not the fans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024