Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss is the new PM 12:39 - Sep 5 with 31876 viewsJuzzie

82% of the 172,437 Conservative members voted. That's 141,000 people deciding the fate of millions.

Sunak got 60k votes (43%)
Truss got 81k votes (57%)

So it wasn't even a clear majority, the Party was fairly evenly split which says to me they're not in harmony, a divided party.

God help us.

I'd have said the same has Sunak won it, what an awful place to be in where no one seems to be anywhere near good enough for the job at hand.

And before anyone says "Well Labour wouldn't do a better job of it" a) it's not about Labour b) maybe not

What a state this country is in.

[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 12:58]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 00:55 - Sep 7 with 2163 viewsbob566

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:31 - Sep 6 by SydneyRs

No I don't think the public should have been asked. We live in a "democracy" where 40% of the vote gives a thumping majority in parliament, yet about 48% that voted against brexit are sneered at and told to "get over it, you lost".

The referendum was a bad idea because ultimately it was decided by racism. The difference was only a couple of percent one way rather than the other, Nobody can convince me that more than 2% of leave votes were not cast based on racism. You only had to see all the stuff on social media around that time. All the memes, sneering, everything in caps lock etc. Plenty I'm sure had more valid reasons, but that element was the difference between leave winning and losing.

It wasn't an informed vote, it was coloured by lies, nationalism and false promises. This outdated idea of empire Britain, so strong that it doesn't need anyone else. Nigel bloody Farage at the forefront ffs. You can't honestly say that the same number of people would have voted for it if they had any clue how it would actually turn out, which ironically a lot on the remain side accurately predicted.

But its done now so not much point arguing about it any more. IMHO its set the country back at least a decade, maybe more.

As an outsider looking in. Brexit is a shiftshow. I'm no expert or economist and it may come good. But it's along time away. Obviously drop the f
Liz Truss is the new PM on 01:17 - Sep 7 with 2143 viewsTomS

Her attempts to align her image to Margaret Thatcher have been comical. The French have called her The Iron Weathercock, as she changes her stance depending on which way the wind is blowing. Whoever came up with that is a genius.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 01:45 - Sep 7 with 2106 viewsSydneyRs

Liz Truss is the new PM on 01:17 - Sep 7 by TomS

Her attempts to align her image to Margaret Thatcher have been comical. The French have called her The Iron Weathercock, as she changes her stance depending on which way the wind is blowing. Whoever came up with that is a genius.

The irony of one of Thatcher's most well known quotes being "The lady's not for turning" when Truss has completely backflipped on multiple issues, not least going from left wing monarchy abolisher to the flag waving opposite. Laughable really that they can get away with this nonsense and still assume leadership positions.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 04:36 - Sep 7 with 2053 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Liz Truss is the new PM on 01:17 - Sep 7 by TomS

The source of that quote was Tony Benn.

He described politicians and Thatcher in particular, as either road signs - detailing where they are going - or, weathercocks.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2022 8:21]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 07:20 - Sep 7 with 1975 viewsbakerloo8

Unfortunately we live in a time when conviction politians rarely exist and when they do the are derided as Communist/Racist extremists. This is why we get these flip flopping populist chancers in power. Always short termism to keep themselves in government. Shameful.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 07:21 - Sep 7 with 1974 viewsbakerloo8

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:31 - Sep 6 by SydneyRs

No I don't think the public should have been asked. We live in a "democracy" where 40% of the vote gives a thumping majority in parliament, yet about 48% that voted against brexit are sneered at and told to "get over it, you lost".

The referendum was a bad idea because ultimately it was decided by racism. The difference was only a couple of percent one way rather than the other, Nobody can convince me that more than 2% of leave votes were not cast based on racism. You only had to see all the stuff on social media around that time. All the memes, sneering, everything in caps lock etc. Plenty I'm sure had more valid reasons, but that element was the difference between leave winning and losing.

It wasn't an informed vote, it was coloured by lies, nationalism and false promises. This outdated idea of empire Britain, so strong that it doesn't need anyone else. Nigel bloody Farage at the forefront ffs. You can't honestly say that the same number of people would have voted for it if they had any clue how it would actually turn out, which ironically a lot on the remain side accurately predicted.

But its done now so not much point arguing about it any more. IMHO its set the country back at least a decade, maybe more.

And there you have it.

Perhaps stay in Sydney 🤣
Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:02 - Sep 7 with 1927 viewsTheChef

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:43 - Sep 6 by paulparker

Imagine how the Queen feels , she must be shaking her head in how mad the world has become
Her first prime minister was Churchill and her last Liz Truss !!!

PP do you know something we don't?

As we know, September is the month for big events (including my birthday )

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:04 - Sep 7 with 1926 viewsTheChef

Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:48 - Sep 6 by ShotKneesHoop

Private Eye is the only paper to print the truth The establishment try to sue them ... but they cant. Because they are correct in what they print,

Private Eye? The one which has had the same editor for nearly 40 years?

More like controlled opposition if you ask me.

Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:30 - Sep 7 with 1871 viewsdmm

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:04 - Sep 7 by TheChef

Private Eye? The one which has had the same editor for nearly 40 years?

More like controlled opposition if you ask me.

A bit like Rupert Murdoch - 40+ years owner of the S*n, Times and Sunday Times (not to mention that rag of rags, The NotW).
Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:32 - Sep 7 with 1866 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:43 - Sep 6 by paulparker

Imagine how the Queen feels , she must be shaking her head in how mad the world has become
Her first prime minister was Churchill and her last Liz Truss !!!

Ironically I started reading a book called ‘Fake History’ by Otto aEnglish yesterday, and it delved a little deeper into the aura surrounding Churchill to present some interesting alternatives to the narrative around him.

Whereas blokes like Boris Johnson write about quips made while speaking at the HoC, the author actually researched Hansard’s and nothing there! Churchill’s record on Kenya, Ireland, Gallipoli/First World War, and with Arabs have generally been airbrushed by people like Johnson desperately trying to hitch their colours to Churchill.

The author accepts that he was the right man to galvanise the Allies in 1940, but it’s worth reading. Certainly gives food for thought.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:37 - Sep 7 with 1866 viewskropotkin41

We had two chances to elect a Government that would have been made up of people NOT feathering their own nests, and set instead upon addressing the rising tide of sh*t so many of us find ourselves in. By now, by the way the National Grid would have been back in public ownership, along with a lot of other stuff.
As and when Starmer wins the next election - fcuk knows how bad things have to be before that unprincipled traitorous centrist intelligence asset looks like a real improvement - it'll be too late for a lot of people.
Spare me the Corbyn was this, Corbyn was that, BBC News/Tory Central Office propaganda. When offered an honest man, England (mostly) preferred a lying clown, who won't even admit to how many kids he has, and his cruel cronies whose only real interest is to rob as much formerly public money for them and their mates as possible. When the ruling party in the kleptocracy chooses its successor, the scum have no right to complain, we voluntarily gave up the right to complain..along with our EU citizenship which at least meant we could have left.
I wouldn't want to give the impression that Corbyn would have been perfect - my politics differ from his quite a lot - but he's not and never has been a crook, and that would have been a start. Also John McDonnell would have been a better Chancellor than a multimillionaire with a Green Card in his back pocket!
Truss is going to break a lot of stuff, including the Union (I hope), and a lot of people are going to suffer. That's my prediction.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:39 - Sep 7 with 1856 viewsEsox_Lucius

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:02 - Sep 6 by joe90

A bit of investigation show's that a front bench Labour MP was sacked for giving an unauthorised interview - not for being on the picket line. The same MP also said:

“I believe Keir Starmer is absolutely still the best person to become prime minister and I’ll be campaigning every day for a Labour government.”

Please feel free to share these 'facts' with me. I do hope it's something a bit more concrete than a speculative article from the Independent.

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/opinion/forde-report-labours-factionalism-racism-a

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/16/momentum-unions-want-vote-strik

The grass is always greener.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:41 - Sep 7 with 1856 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:32 - Sep 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Ironically I started reading a book called ‘Fake History’ by Otto aEnglish yesterday, and it delved a little deeper into the aura surrounding Churchill to present some interesting alternatives to the narrative around him.

Whereas blokes like Boris Johnson write about quips made while speaking at the HoC, the author actually researched Hansard’s and nothing there! Churchill’s record on Kenya, Ireland, Gallipoli/First World War, and with Arabs have generally been airbrushed by people like Johnson desperately trying to hitch their colours to Churchill.

The author accepts that he was the right man to galvanise the Allies in 1940, but it’s worth reading. Certainly gives food for thought.

If you are into alternative Churchill history, I cannot recommend this enough:

https://www.versobooks.com/books/3971-winston-churchill
Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:48 - Sep 7 with 1846 viewsngbqpr

Personal view as to why these threads get heated is it's a fair reflection of where UK society is just now. Football is the world's game, loved by billions regardless of background...so a football messageboard is actually a good place to see a wide range of currently held views, away from social media bubbles or your media of choice.

I love the idea of consensus politics, but I genuinely feel we've gone beyond that over these last few years. It's what I imagine the 1930s was like. It'll definitely get worse before it gets better - I suspect I won't be around to see the upturn, just hope my kids are.

It's "which side are you on?" time imho.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:00 - Sep 7 with 1827 viewsTheChef

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:32 - Sep 7 by PlanetHonneywood

History is written by the victors, and all that.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:08 - Sep 7 with 1812 viewsDWQPR

Liz Truss is the new PM on 07:20 - Sep 7 by bakerloo8

Unfortunately we live in a time when conviction politians rarely exist and when they do the are derided as Communist/Racist extremists. This is why we get these flip flopping populist chancers in power. Always short termism to keep themselves in government. Shameful.

Exactly. Very few in parliament nowadays.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:49 - Sep 7 with 1710 viewsstevec

Out of interest, when a person devotes time looking back in history, searching for all the bad things you can pin on people, chasing the negatives….

How do you feel afterwards, exhilarated? Is there a buzz?

Not judging just curious what it actually feels like.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:14 - Sep 7 with 1661 viewsderbyhoop

Phil Lynott's group was Thin Lizzy.
Truss is thick Lizzy

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:36 - Sep 7 with 1623 viewsSydneyRs

Liz Truss is the new PM on 07:21 - Sep 7 by bakerloo8

And there you have it.

Perhaps stay in Sydney 🤣

Oh rest assured I'm very glad to be here.

If only you knew how pathetic this all looks from afar.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:27 - Sep 7 with 1518 viewsfrancisbowles

Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:14 - Sep 7 by derbyhoop

Phil Lynott's group was Thin Lizzy.
Truss is thick Lizzy

Yes, she admits she isn't the best public speaker. She may not be the quickest at thinking on her feet. But 'thick'? I think that remark may be difficult to justify for someone who went from a comprehensive school, to graduating from Oxford. She has also gone on hold several ministerial positions and I don't think she has been sacked from any of them.

She may change her mind on issues and politics but so too did Churchill. I see no problem with being able to rethink issues and come to a different conclusion. I just hope she is not too fixed in her views now that she has the top job.

They say she s hard working, well she is going to need to be with the raft of problems she is inheriting.

Whatever your politics, she is in position now and we need to see the plans and hope they can arrest the slide.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:35 - Sep 7 with 1494 viewsT_Block

I am a miserable sod but this made me laugh
Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:47 - Sep 7 with 1436 viewsdmm

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:49 - Sep 7 by stevec

Out of interest, when a person devotes time looking back in history, searching for all the bad things you can pin on people, chasing the negatives….

How do you feel afterwards, exhilarated? Is there a buzz?

Not judging just curious what it actually feels like.

I wouldn't say I exactly search for all the bad I can find on people, but if I read something I didn't know about someone that I'm interested in, good or bad, I will often look further into it.

Churchill is the case in question. As with many other lads, he was my hero when I was a boy. I still remember being devastated when he died and I was given a Churchill crown to remember him. Still got it somewhere. Many years later I began to hear things about him I'd previously never been told, and now and again I would look into those things such as his racism, what he said about Ghandi, his part on the Bengal famine, and his contempt for trade unions.

Needless to say, I radically changed my mind about him. No exhilaration or buzz, Steve. Just disappointment and sadness.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:54 - Sep 7 with 1295 viewskensalriser

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:43 - Sep 5 by loftboy

Suppose she can’t help her looks but fûck me that’d be a tough wànk!!

Not as tough as the outgoing PM.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:58 - Sep 7 with 1287 viewsjoe90

Liz Truss is the new PM on 08:39 - Sep 7 by Esox_Lucius

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/opinion/forde-report-labours-factionalism-racism-a

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/16/momentum-unions-want-vote-strik

Okay, I've deleted my response as we're both going 'off topic'.

I think it's sad that as the latest cabinet (and possibly most toxic iteration) is assembled the opposition is still plagued by in-fighting as exemplified by your opinions.

[Post edited 7 Sep 2022 14:59]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:35 - Sep 7 with 1201 viewsNorthernr

On topic or thread locked. Please dear God not a rehash of the Corbyn stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024