Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers 09:44 - Jun 11 with 8036 viewsdickythorpe

League 2 is

We could be badly exposed next season.

Why are we seriously considering this under 17/academy coach?

"On the cheap" option I feel.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 9:45]
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:56 - Jun 11 with 1350 viewsthornabyswan

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 21:19 - Jun 11 by swan_si

Are you sponsered by Gillette? Very depressing attitude Dicky, smile, you'll live longer mate.

He said Potter was very limited Mcburnie is shit now here we go again.

He does enjoy a good moan

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 23:08 - Jun 11 with 1332 viewsjack_lord

Brendan Rodgers went from coaching a youth team to managing a Championship side.
No clue if that is how this will work out though.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 23:53 - Jun 11 with 1283 viewsjasper_T

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 23:08 - Jun 11 by jack_lord

Brendan Rodgers went from coaching a youth team to managing a Championship side.
No clue if that is how this will work out though.

It's a mistake to lump all development team management experience in as the same thing. Modern PL2 u23s is different from old reserve team u21s, is different from international u17s/u21s/u20s etc.

I don't know much about the new man but u17s are a long way from finished footballers.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 01:41 - Jun 12 with 1250 viewsSwanseaman

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 23:53 - Jun 11 by jasper_T

It's a mistake to lump all development team management experience in as the same thing. Modern PL2 u23s is different from old reserve team u21s, is different from international u17s/u21s/u20s etc.

I don't know much about the new man but u17s are a long way from finished footballers.

them u17s 2017 team looked good, esp against Brazil and Spain. quick pace and good skills all around, give any Championship club a good game.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 03:48 - Jun 12 with 1214 viewsChief

Not sure what to make of this appointment. Could go either way. But the people saying it'll be great because 'England wouldn't appoint a mug to look after their u17s'. Well their current u21 manager is Aidy Boothroyd. Would you be happy if we hired him?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 05:33 - Jun 12 with 1189 viewsicecoldjack

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:14 - Jun 11 by jack247

Bradley had 30 years of mediocrity behind him. He had clearly found his level.

I can understand the argument about Martinez starting in league one, but what managerial background did he have?

Martinez knew every single player and the club inside out, he also knew how to get the best out of each player knowing their capabilities on the ball better than anyone .

It was very clear to see, and I’m sure you remember too, that Roberto was a manager in waiting while playing for us .
If Roberto had gone anywhere else he would not have achieved the same early success .

Martinez knew. The board, knew we had money to spend, knew the city and was loved by everyone, in no way can you compare him to cooper .

It’s one of the biggest gambles the club has ever taken this appointment of Cooper, If he doesn’t convince the players in pre season it will end in tears quite early, It’s a minimum requirement that we play. The desired type of football any deviation off that and his days will be numbered IMO.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 05:51 - Jun 12 with 1186 viewsbermudajack

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 05:33 - Jun 12 by icecoldjack

Martinez knew every single player and the club inside out, he also knew how to get the best out of each player knowing their capabilities on the ball better than anyone .

It was very clear to see, and I’m sure you remember too, that Roberto was a manager in waiting while playing for us .
If Roberto had gone anywhere else he would not have achieved the same early success .

Martinez knew. The board, knew we had money to spend, knew the city and was loved by everyone, in no way can you compare him to cooper .

It’s one of the biggest gambles the club has ever taken this appointment of Cooper, If he doesn’t convince the players in pre season it will end in tears quite early, It’s a minimum requirement that we play. The desired type of football any deviation off that and his days will be numbered IMO.

Whose I understand your concerns about this appointment.

1. Any new coach manager is a risk
2. It always end in tears, if he’s good he’ll be poached off us within a year, if he’s not he’ll be sacked by Christmas

The cycle continues...

Poll: Priority for new manager?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 05:58 - Jun 12 with 1183 viewsjack247

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 05:33 - Jun 12 by icecoldjack

Right, so you’re saying having no management experience, but knowing the players skill sets and being popular is preferable to having no senior management experience, but having been success with Liverpool’s age grade teams and winning the World Cup with England’s.

If that’s the case, what’s Leon doing on the selection panel? Sign him up.
Login to get fewer ads

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 07:31 - Jun 12 with 1099 viewsjackrmee

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 23:53 - Jun 11 by jasper_T

"Different" does not mean inferior though.
He may have had different experiences, but he's a different individual and they may have helped him more.
Someone who has spent 20 years managing senior players is not necessarily going to be a better manager than someone who's never tried it before.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 07:33 - Jun 12 with 1092 viewsjackrmee

"If Roberto had gone anywhere else he would not have achieved the same early success . "

Maybe, maybe not. That's just pure conjecture.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 08:54 - Jun 12 with 1051 viewsvetchonian

Derby obviously didnt think so when appointing thier new manager this time last year!

A person with zero managerial/coaching experience...let me think who was the experienced manager they appointed that led them to the play off?

Oh yes Frank Lampard zero coaching or managerial experience before his appointment

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:39 - Jun 12 with 1026 viewsDevz00

Looking at the names that have been said to be our other final candidates —

Cameron Toshack — The people worried about Cooper’s lack of experience should surely have the same concerns with this appointment. If Cooper has got the job over Toshack, and he’s been interviewed by Curtis and Leon who obviously know Toshack very well, then you’ve got to ask yourself why that is the case? We can surely only go with their judgement on this one. On paper he’s the most similar to Cooper.

John Eustace — QPR didn’t want him. I’m not saying he’s not good enough for that reason but that does seem a bit odd.

Michael Appleton — The most experienced manager in that he’s been at Blackpool, Blackburn and Oxford. Currently assistant at WBA. Before that assistant at Leicester. Hardly inspiring is he?

Mark Bowen — Oh dear. Followed Sparky around at every job as his assistant. For me, the worst of the lot.

For whatever reason, these were our final options. If that’s down to other managers not fancying it or being too expensive then who knows.

I don’t see why Cooper is a bad option when you’re faced with a choice of the others. The more articles that are appearing about him, the better he sounds and you can see why he fits what we are looking for as a club. No doubt, if we go through a bad patch there will be a queue of fans ready to jump on him because his dad supports Cardiff though.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:58 - Jun 12 with 1001 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:57 - Jun 11 by sdh1412

Perhaps if he is appointed his title will be First Team Coach and not manager. That way he has no or little say in recruitment and is asked to work with the 'young' tools at his disposal.

That would make more sense than hanging a Managers tag round his neck.

Thats probably the correct situation!
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:01 - Jun 12 with 993 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:50 - Jun 11 by Glyn1

I'm just praying that we get an easy opening run of fixtures at the start of the season to build up confidence in our young players - yes, I know there are "no easy games in the Championship" but actually there are.

Are the fixtures out in a couple of weeks time?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 22:51]

People underestimate the importance of the fixture list each team gets, you are right a good run right at the start of the season could make the World of difference.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:05 - Jun 12 with 985 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 08:54 - Jun 12 by vetchonian

Derby obviously didnt think so when appointing thier new manager this time last year!

A person with zero managerial/coaching experience...let me think who was the experienced manager they appointed that led them to the play off?

Oh yes Frank Lampard zero coaching or managerial experience before his appointment

Avery experienced footballer, with a lot of contacts in the game as his Dad was a top pro and his uncle and cousins, his uncle was an experienced Manager and he appointed a solid number two, you can't really compare them.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:06 - Jun 12 with 981 viewsAlfieMooresSon

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 09:39 - Jun 12 by Devz00

Looking at the names that have been said to be our other final candidates —

Cameron Toshack — The people worried about Cooper’s lack of experience should surely have the same concerns with this appointment. If Cooper has got the job over Toshack, and he’s been interviewed by Curtis and Leon who obviously know Toshack very well, then you’ve got to ask yourself why that is the case? We can surely only go with their judgement on this one. On paper he’s the most similar to Cooper.

John Eustace — QPR didn’t want him. I’m not saying he’s not good enough for that reason but that does seem a bit odd.

Michael Appleton — The most experienced manager in that he’s been at Blackpool, Blackburn and Oxford. Currently assistant at WBA. Before that assistant at Leicester. Hardly inspiring is he?

Mark Bowen — Oh dear. Followed Sparky around at every job as his assistant. For me, the worst of the lot.

For whatever reason, these were our final options. If that’s down to other managers not fancying it or being too expensive then who knows.

I don’t see why Cooper is a bad option when you’re faced with a choice of the others. The more articles that are appearing about him, the better he sounds and you can see why he fits what we are looking for as a club. No doubt, if we go through a bad patch there will be a queue of fans ready to jump on him because his dad supports Cardiff though.

Appleton best of a bad bunch.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:09 - Jun 12 with 973 viewsLeonWasGod

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 03:48 - Jun 12 by Chief

Not sure what to make of this appointment. Could go either way. But the people saying it'll be great because 'England wouldn't appoint a mug to look after their u17s'. Well their current u21 manager is Aidy Boothroyd. Would you be happy if we hired him?

Yep it could swing either way, and none of us know him so can't really gauge.

I like that we're looking to someone who ticks the boxes around some early promise, a style that would continue the huge change Potter made, someone who seems to be a thinker and pays attention to detail, is quite progressive in his methods.

I also like that he's supposed to be bringing a coach with a good amount of experience, who's well spoken of by former colleagues, who's worked with some of the best and also brought through and developed younger players.

It's a left field choice, that could pay huge dividends. And that's the only way we'll unearth a gem, as we can't afford to buy one.

I'd rather this than us jump on a predictable choice from the regular manager merry go round, or a manager who'd dismantle what Potter started and take us back to dull, negative football. This gives us a chance to have our own strong identity.

But will we be any good under him? Is this actually going to move us forward and give us a chance of promotion? Feck knows. That also depends on the support he gets from the owners.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:22 - Jun 12 with 954 viewsjasper_T

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 01:41 - Jun 12 by Swanseaman

them u17s 2017 team looked good, esp against Brazil and Spain. quick pace and good skills all around, give any Championship club a good game.

England have always been good at finding strong and quick early bloomers to play in their age group sides. It's why you should ignore claims of a golden generation coming through based solely on junior level tournament success. A lot of standouts fade away as the physical playing field evens out.

Some decent players there, mind.

From what I see of Wales at that level it's a lot more uneven a game compared to seniors or even u23s. More mistakes, more spaces, but players are just as capable of great bits of play for highlights videos (when the playing surface is good, you get some shockers). Tactically a different proposition for a manager.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 11:12 - Jun 12 with 911 viewsvetchonian

But what has experience as aplayer to do with coaching...look at the ikes of "leaders" as players who failed miserably as coaches/managers....Bryan Robson,Kevin Ratcliffe,Peter Reid all experienced players ath the top level, all with contacts .....Management didnt work out for them.

At least Cooper has some experience in organising teams for matches etc....

Its not all about contacts and playing experience!!!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 11:26 - Jun 12 with 893 viewsSwanseaman

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 11:12 - Jun 12 by vetchonian

But what has experience as aplayer to do with coaching...look at the ikes of "leaders" as players who failed miserably as coaches/managers....Bryan Robson,Kevin Ratcliffe,Peter Reid all experienced players ath the top level, all with contacts .....Management didnt work out for them.

At least Cooper has some experience in organising teams for matches etc....

Its not all about contacts and playing experience!!!

Good point. Cooper has shown that his teams are well organized and they know what they are doing.

If he has the ability to organize people, why shouldn't it translate to adult teams. A lot of it has to do with his training methods and his principles. If the players see that he knows what he's doing, if it is similar to the way they have been training, it could work out well.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 11:31 - Jun 12 with 883 viewsSTID2017

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 22:50 - Jun 11 by Glyn1

I'm just praying that we get an easy opening run of fixtures at the start of the season to build up confidence in our young players - yes, I know there are "no easy games in the Championship" but actually there are.

Are the fixtures out in a couple of weeks time?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 22:51]

20th June - i.e Thursday next week

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:03 - Jun 12 with 820 viewsDevz00

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 10:05 - Jun 12 by AlfieMooresSon

Avery experienced footballer, with a lot of contacts in the game as his Dad was a top pro and his uncle and cousins, his uncle was an experienced Manager and he appointed a solid number two, you can't really compare them.

I’m not convinced of the logic here. Lampard is far less qualified for a manager’s job than Cooper. Cooper has actually won a world cup by managing a national side, albeit at under 17s.
Lampard has done well in his role, it was still a huge gamble by Derby but it’s the sort of move that we would normally do. I would far rather take a risk here than appoint a nothing manager who’s just bobbed about in the lower leagues like Appleton.

It’s not as if we are plucking a random bloke from the pub. He is a proper coach who has worked his way up to Liverpool academy and now England and is held in high regard.

It might go spectacularly wrong but it could also go wrong with any manager.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 14:15 - Jun 12 with 772 viewsGlyn1

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 13:03 - Jun 12 by Devz00

I’m not convinced of the logic here. Lampard is far less qualified for a manager’s job than Cooper. Cooper has actually won a world cup by managing a national side, albeit at under 17s.
Lampard has done well in his role, it was still a huge gamble by Derby but it’s the sort of move that we would normally do. I would far rather take a risk here than appoint a nothing manager who’s just bobbed about in the lower leagues like Appleton.

It’s not as if we are plucking a random bloke from the pub. He is a proper coach who has worked his way up to Liverpool academy and now England and is held in high regard.

It might go spectacularly wrong but it could also go wrong with any manager.

Yes he's an experienced coach but that was with children. Good luck to him and all but it's the biggest gamble that we've made with a manager in years. It's certainly a brave decision whether right or wrong.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 14:23 - Jun 12 with 763 viewsandypitt56

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 14:15 - Jun 12 by Glyn1

Yes he's an experienced coach but that was with children. Good luck to him and all but it's the biggest gamble that we've made with a manager in years. It's certainly a brave decision whether right or wrong.

Well he has clearly impressed birch, Britts and Curt.
The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 14:24 - Jun 12 with 760 viewsSwanseaman

The Championship is not a learning ground for untried managers on 14:15 - Jun 12 by Glyn1

He may well work better with an adult side, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024