| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 AFTERMATH 17:56 - May 4 with 10198 views | KeithHaynes | Nowhere to hide for this one, it’s the last game of the season where stories of no shows won’t cut it. Here is a testicled eyed view ( I loved that ) of the final game of the season. Runners will be there no doubt. I had to do this thread as NL is still laughing after reading Twitter. The Ref really is Steve Martin So far this season, he has taken charge of 33 matches handing out 98 yellow cards and four reds. This weekend, he will be assisted by James Wilson and Nicholas Barnard. James Oldham will be the fourth official. Steve pictured above wears glasses on his days off. Swans Indie and Planet Swans speak to the opposition : QPR 5th May 2022 16:46For our final oppo interview of the season we welcome back Phil from Planet Swans and Keith from our sister site Swansea Independent to discuss Russell Martin’s first season of Championship football — neatly summarised by recent games with Reading and Bournemouth, both of which Swansea led by three goals only to draw. 1 Russell Martin confirms players will leave Swansea City 7th May 2022 06:53In three weeks time clubs will be able to negotiate and accept offers for players, that’s how short the closed season is. One club expecting a number of offers are Swansea City. And manager Russell Martin has spoken of the inevitable fact players will leave. 0 Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Joel Latibeaudiere, Kyle Naughton, Ryan Manning; Cyrus Christie, Flynn Downes, Matt Grimes (captain), Hannes Wolf; Joel Piroe, Cameron Congreve, Michael Obafemi. Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Jay Fulton, Korey Smith, Olivier Ntcham, Jamie Paterson, Azeem Abdulai, Joel Cotterill. Queens Park Rangers: Seny Dieng, Yoann Barbet (captain), Luke Amos, Lyndon Dykes, Ilias Chair, Dominic Ball, George Thomas, Sam McCallum, Dion Sanderson, Sam Field, Albert Adomah. Substitutes: Joe Walsh, Murphy Mahoney, Osman Kakay, Andre Dozzell, Andre Gray.
This post has been edited by an administrator |  |
| |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:05 - May 7 with 1847 views | onehunglow |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 18:29 - May 7 by TenbySwan | Big problem this season has been inconsistency. At times we have been great other times we have been dreadful. Sometimes within the same game! I really was hoping for better today. Very disappointing for all and a big downer to end the season. Trouble is,it's going to a couple of months before we go again. At the moment it is a glass half empty for me and difficult to have enthusiasm for a promotion challenge next year. |
We have been consistent. What we were doing at Preston away we were doing today. A season of madness made worse by the support we have a coach that really isnt. Why should he be supported. Why On what evidence |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:10 - May 7 with 1878 views | jasper_T |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 18:49 - May 7 by Treforys_Jack | Really don't know what's goin to change. He's had all season to steadily improve performances and results, a full season mind. Yet we go 1 step forward and 2 steps back consistently. Very depressing. |
Our recent "step forward" was when we played the bottom 5 and Cardiff in quick succession. Then we started playing decent sides again and the flaws were re-exposed. It's not even inconsistency, really. Opposition managers know what we're about and how to beat us. We give up chances like a relegation side, and create them like a lower mid table one. Without a finisher of Piroe's exceptional quality we'd be far worse off. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:20 - May 7 with 1843 views | Treforys_Jack |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:10 - May 7 by jasper_T | Our recent "step forward" was when we played the bottom 5 and Cardiff in quick succession. Then we started playing decent sides again and the flaws were re-exposed. It's not even inconsistency, really. Opposition managers know what we're about and how to beat us. We give up chances like a relegation side, and create them like a lower mid table one. Without a finisher of Piroe's exceptional quality we'd be far worse off. |
Agree with all that, it summed it up for me today when Dykes chased down Fisher early in the game when he was playing tippy tap with Naughton, he charged him down, because he 100% knew Fisher wouldn't launch it long and he should have scored. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:29 - May 7 with 1818 views | magicdaps10 |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:02 - May 7 by onehunglow | No coach should ridicule players. |
The word ridicule wasn't in relation to or anything regards Martin. |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:37 - May 7 with 1813 views | jojaca |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 18:29 - May 7 by TenbySwan | Big problem this season has been inconsistency. At times we have been great other times we have been dreadful. Sometimes within the same game! I really was hoping for better today. Very disappointing for all and a big downer to end the season. Trouble is,it's going to a couple of months before we go again. At the moment it is a glass half empty for me and difficult to have enthusiasm for a promotion challenge next year. |
I am wiling to roll the dice again and give Russell benefit of the doubt. I would like an experienced No.2 to help him out. Next season I want to see big increase in our tempo especially at the start of home matches, I don't want to see a training exercise for first 20 minutes knocking the ball around without purpose. The passing needs to be quicker with players running onto the ball, not receiving the ball with back to opponents goal which results in the easy pass back. Please stop the over passing along the backline, get the forward ball through the lines quicker(easier said than done). Let's get a better balance of risk/reward at the moment the odds on risk is far to high. I don't want to see our central defenders like Naughton doing Messi stuff on the edge of our own box. Let the players use there own initiative if the system is not working, there is no shame going more direct also take the pressure off the goalie with this obsession to pass out every time. If the pass is not on from the goalie, just do the old fashioned long ball like 99% of teams. Today I noticed a lot of players rejecting the long more difficult pass with players in empty space and settle for the easy pass, this is a sign of players being overcoached and players afraid to deviate from Russell's master plan. I would love to see us ditch the 3-5-2 system, what a boring system. I envy away teams with pacey wingers, it just brings more excitement to the game. At my old age I want to be entertained not going to games to be thinking of taking a nap. I have renewed season tickets for next season, but won't be renewing again if the same football is on show. I missed loads of games this season because I couldn't be bothered with the snoozefest on show. [Post edited 7 May 2022 19:39]
|  |
| Even when you know, you never know? |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 20:37 - May 7 with 1720 views | max936 |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:37 - May 7 by jojaca | I am wiling to roll the dice again and give Russell benefit of the doubt. I would like an experienced No.2 to help him out. Next season I want to see big increase in our tempo especially at the start of home matches, I don't want to see a training exercise for first 20 minutes knocking the ball around without purpose. The passing needs to be quicker with players running onto the ball, not receiving the ball with back to opponents goal which results in the easy pass back. Please stop the over passing along the backline, get the forward ball through the lines quicker(easier said than done). Let's get a better balance of risk/reward at the moment the odds on risk is far to high. I don't want to see our central defenders like Naughton doing Messi stuff on the edge of our own box. Let the players use there own initiative if the system is not working, there is no shame going more direct also take the pressure off the goalie with this obsession to pass out every time. If the pass is not on from the goalie, just do the old fashioned long ball like 99% of teams. Today I noticed a lot of players rejecting the long more difficult pass with players in empty space and settle for the easy pass, this is a sign of players being overcoached and players afraid to deviate from Russell's master plan. I would love to see us ditch the 3-5-2 system, what a boring system. I envy away teams with pacey wingers, it just brings more excitement to the game. At my old age I want to be entertained not going to games to be thinking of taking a nap. I have renewed season tickets for next season, but won't be renewing again if the same football is on show. I missed loads of games this season because I couldn't be bothered with the snoozefest on show. [Post edited 7 May 2022 19:39]
|
He ain't gonna change and he isn't gonna listen to any No2 you can put that idea to bed, |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 20:41 - May 7 with 1705 views | Flashberryjack | Not only do the players serve up such a shyte performance, they expect us to wait for them to put on their mascara so we can applaud how well they've done. Sadly, I've bought my ST for next season, I wont be using it that frequently, and it will be my last. |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 21:25 - May 7 with 1652 views | fbreath | Were there many people in the stadium for the lap of shame after the final whistle. We were on the way out as soon as final whistle went. |  |
| We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples |
|  | Login to get fewer ads
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 21:43 - May 7 with 1632 views | jojaca |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 21:25 - May 7 by fbreath | Were there many people in the stadium for the lap of shame after the final whistle. We were on the way out as soon as final whistle went. |
I reckon about 80/85% of fans left, I only stayed because I had time to kill. Claps of disappointment. [Post edited 7 May 2022 21:44]
|  |
| Even when you know, you never know? |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:26 - May 7 with 1567 views | Gwyn737 |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:37 - May 7 by jojaca | I am wiling to roll the dice again and give Russell benefit of the doubt. I would like an experienced No.2 to help him out. Next season I want to see big increase in our tempo especially at the start of home matches, I don't want to see a training exercise for first 20 minutes knocking the ball around without purpose. The passing needs to be quicker with players running onto the ball, not receiving the ball with back to opponents goal which results in the easy pass back. Please stop the over passing along the backline, get the forward ball through the lines quicker(easier said than done). Let's get a better balance of risk/reward at the moment the odds on risk is far to high. I don't want to see our central defenders like Naughton doing Messi stuff on the edge of our own box. Let the players use there own initiative if the system is not working, there is no shame going more direct also take the pressure off the goalie with this obsession to pass out every time. If the pass is not on from the goalie, just do the old fashioned long ball like 99% of teams. Today I noticed a lot of players rejecting the long more difficult pass with players in empty space and settle for the easy pass, this is a sign of players being overcoached and players afraid to deviate from Russell's master plan. I would love to see us ditch the 3-5-2 system, what a boring system. I envy away teams with pacey wingers, it just brings more excitement to the game. At my old age I want to be entertained not going to games to be thinking of taking a nap. I have renewed season tickets for next season, but won't be renewing again if the same football is on show. I missed loads of games this season because I couldn't be bothered with the snoozefest on show. [Post edited 7 May 2022 19:39]
|
I’d say that’s pretty much the perfect post, with the caveat I was even more bored by Cooper’s tenure. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:49 - May 7 with 1541 views | cadleigh |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 19:02 - May 7 by onehunglow | No coach should ridicule players. |
I have been critical of a lot of Martin’s performance over the last year but I am always happy to listen to reasoned arguments from the likes of magicdaps and reconsider my position. The one thing that has consistently appalled me though - and I am unshakable on this - is his man management. I posted elsewhere how I showed his comments on Paterson to a neutral observer who simply said ‘Gaslighting’. He has consistently and repeatedly commented on players’ mental health, cast doubt on their understanding of issues or their commitment to the club and used the media to shame players as a means of enforcing his authority (while sucking up to other players who he later threw under the bus). He’s either not very nice or not very bright. And I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that it’s the latter. Like the Bourbons, he forgets nothing. And learns nothing. |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:50 - May 7 with 1519 views | Dr_Parnassus |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:26 - May 7 by Gwyn737 | I’d say that’s pretty much the perfect post, with the caveat I was even more bored by Cooper’s tenure. |
I’m amazed by that. It can only have been the fact it was all behind closed doors under Cooper. This has to be one of the worst seasons for entertainment for a long long time. Seeing us win most weeks with proper effort and passion was far better than watching our keeper become one of the outfield players on a goal kick to just see the ball passed back and fore our 18 yard line until we lose is or smash it forward? The most brainless, senseless system I have seen in professional football in 28 years of watching the game. I can’t think of another that rivals it, not just for us but anywhere on the planet. |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:53 - May 7 with 1534 views | max936 |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 22:49 - May 7 by cadleigh | I have been critical of a lot of Martin’s performance over the last year but I am always happy to listen to reasoned arguments from the likes of magicdaps and reconsider my position. The one thing that has consistently appalled me though - and I am unshakable on this - is his man management. I posted elsewhere how I showed his comments on Paterson to a neutral observer who simply said ‘Gaslighting’. He has consistently and repeatedly commented on players’ mental health, cast doubt on their understanding of issues or their commitment to the club and used the media to shame players as a means of enforcing his authority (while sucking up to other players who he later threw under the bus). He’s either not very nice or not very bright. And I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that it’s the latter. Like the Bourbons, he forgets nothing. And learns nothing. |
Superb post, treat yourself to a cuppa and a chocolate hobnob, |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 AFTERMATH on 10:48 - May 8 with 1343 views | controversial_jack | It's taken the so called project 50 plus games to get us to the lower half of the league. if we get new players in, is it going to take them 50 games to settle and get us to the same position again? |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 10:54 - May 8 with 1332 views | vetchonian |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 15:37 - May 7 by Lorax | Reading this and seeing the lack of posts, it seems people can't even be bothered to complain anymore. Have we become apathetic to it all? is Martin's biggest achievement to date driving fans away? it's not entertaining or exciting, well so those who can be bothered have said today. I went to my sons football tournament and took part in a parents game after. From the sounds of it, I put in more effort and commitment than the swans did. I'm now pretty happy I didn't renew my season ticket. Trust the process we are told. It depends what the aim of the process is because if it's to ruin the club, it seems to be working. |
no apathy just fed up repeating myself only to he be told I'm negative. I was one of those banging g the drum about our style and performance under Martin early on....it seems now 36 gone beyond the initial games wanted many of us to give Martin the penny is dropping with those too Our issue is it will be Christmas maybe when the powers at ve will get to see we are on the wrong track...I doubt Martin will change....and then we will be forced to change but where will be and how much damage will have done [Post edited 8 May 2022 10:59]
|  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 AFTERMATH on 11:13 - May 8 with 1314 views | Chief | Sobered up now so I'll share my thoughts. This no defender thing on bench is pathetic. Pointless. Absolutely dismal. If this a process, technically there should be any last game of season lull. How does that terrible performance fit in with the 'process'? [Post edited 8 May 2022 11:26]
|  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 11:59 - May 8 with 1273 views | Treforys_Jack |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 10:54 - May 8 by vetchonian | no apathy just fed up repeating myself only to he be told I'm negative. I was one of those banging g the drum about our style and performance under Martin early on....it seems now 36 gone beyond the initial games wanted many of us to give Martin the penny is dropping with those too Our issue is it will be Christmas maybe when the powers at ve will get to see we are on the wrong track...I doubt Martin will change....and then we will be forced to change but where will be and how much damage will have done [Post edited 8 May 2022 10:59]
|
There is no separate camps, however some of us tried to see what was going on and hoped it would work. Since Xmas it's been increasingly obvious that the flaws in this system cannot be overcome. I'd have settled for a slow upward trajectory over the course of the season, but the last 4 to 6 weeks of the season have been a disaster. The performance yesterday was totally unacceptable. Only Kyle and Congreve can hold their head up after that debacle. Captain next year needs to be Kyle or hopefully Joey. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 12:38 - May 8 with 1247 views | Badlands |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 11:59 - May 8 by Treforys_Jack | There is no separate camps, however some of us tried to see what was going on and hoped it would work. Since Xmas it's been increasingly obvious that the flaws in this system cannot be overcome. I'd have settled for a slow upward trajectory over the course of the season, but the last 4 to 6 weeks of the season have been a disaster. The performance yesterday was totally unacceptable. Only Kyle and Congreve can hold their head up after that debacle. Captain next year needs to be Kyle or hopefully Joey. |
Not sure your comment about post Christmas … First half of the season Points 28 with 7 wins goals 26:31 Second half Points 31 with 9 wins goals 32:37 58:68 .. 61 16 Goals against has been exaggerated in the last few weeks but otherwise the second half o fthe season was more productive than the first. |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 13:19 - May 8 with 1215 views | Treforys_Jack |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 12:38 - May 8 by Badlands | Not sure your comment about post Christmas … First half of the season Points 28 with 7 wins goals 26:31 Second half Points 31 with 9 wins goals 32:37 58:68 .. 61 16 Goals against has been exaggerated in the last few weeks but otherwise the second half o fthe season was more productive than the first. |
Yes I get that, but it was the level of performances that kept getting worse and worse imo obviously. When the opposition manager plays the high press we struggle massively, when they don't we generally win. We have no plan B. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 13:32 - May 8 with 1202 views | dobjack2 |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 13:19 - May 8 by Treforys_Jack | Yes I get that, but it was the level of performances that kept getting worse and worse imo obviously. When the opposition manager plays the high press we struggle massively, when they don't we generally win. We have no plan B. |
Our plan B is to keep trying to make plan A work even when it is falling apart. |  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 13:38 - May 8 with 1200 views | Treforys_Jack |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 13:32 - May 8 by dobjack2 | Our plan B is to keep trying to make plan A work even when it is falling apart. |
|  | |  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 01:04 - May 9 with 1037 views | Dr_Parnassus |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 12:38 - May 8 by Badlands | Not sure your comment about post Christmas … First half of the season Points 28 with 7 wins goals 26:31 Second half Points 31 with 9 wins goals 32:37 58:68 .. 61 16 Goals against has been exaggerated in the last few weeks but otherwise the second half o fthe season was more productive than the first. |
There is no denying we picked up 3 more points in the second half of the season. It was certainly helped with the run of 7 games where 6 of the 7 were the bottom clubs and we could build confidence and put a run together. Can anyone say we actually improved as a team though. Our GD remained the same as our first half of the season -5 in both. We scored 6 more goals but conceded 6 more goals. Our attacking play slightly improved as Martin finally decided to try and play Obafemi AND Piroe. But the rest of our game either remained the same (midfield) or declined (defence). |  |
|  |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 08:58 - May 9 with 959 views | onehunglow |
| Swansea City v Queens Park Rangers : THE THREAD 21/22 Saturday UPDATE on 01:04 - May 9 by Dr_Parnassus | There is no denying we picked up 3 more points in the second half of the season. It was certainly helped with the run of 7 games where 6 of the 7 were the bottom clubs and we could build confidence and put a run together. Can anyone say we actually improved as a team though. Our GD remained the same as our first half of the season -5 in both. We scored 6 more goals but conceded 6 more goals. Our attacking play slightly improved as Martin finally decided to try and play Obafemi AND Piroe. But the rest of our game either remained the same (midfield) or declined (defence). |
One positive is that the coach's abilities and effectiveness are being questioned.This is a start. Now we have to ask is are these apparent abilities enough to progress our club and make us a proper club. |  |
|  |
| |