Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BOS (again) 17:07 - Jan 15 with 45723 viewsaston_hoop

Sky Sports reporting he has agreed to join Fenerbache at the end of his contract.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

BOS (again) on 11:15 - Jan 18 with 2946 viewsAntti_Heinola

BOS (again) on 10:56 - Jan 18 by Northernr

IMHO if you'd offered him a new deal towards the end of 2018/19 he'd have snapped your hand off.

"Big pay rise" is stretching it a bit too. More, sure, but...

This post has been edited by an administrator

i get your point, but i find it very hard to be too angry at the club for not offering a squad player a new and improved deal when he has 2 years left on his contract.
Easy with hindsight. Did anyone at all suggest it at the time? It didn't even occur to me, and I rated him highly even then.

Bare bones.

BOS (again) on 11:18 - Jan 18 with 2931 viewsNorthernr

BOS (again) on 11:15 - Jan 18 by Antti_Heinola

i get your point, but i find it very hard to be too angry at the club for not offering a squad player a new and improved deal when he has 2 years left on his contract.
Easy with hindsight. Did anyone at all suggest it at the time? It didn't even occur to me, and I rated him highly even then.

Hard to say without going back through the board, but there was a lot of agg on here about Manning being loaned to Rotherham, and Bright not getting minutes. And like I say, more importantly, the people above McClaren were aggy about Bright as well. It's a shame.
BOS (again) on 11:23 - Jan 18 with 2902 viewsQPR_John

BOS (again) on 10:19 - Jan 18 by daveB

There is no doubt the club deserve criticism for that McClaren year, waste a year of Bright, Manning, Smyth and Chair playing elsewhere so when we got to the summer to renew those deals for Manning and Bright with 2 years left neither were that keen to stay

It's a difficult balance though. Look at the criticism the club get now for giving Niko half a season at left back when he's possibly not good enough and giving Dykes, Wilock etc a run in the side rather than more established players, if we had left those 2 and others out in favour of more experienced ones would that not have been the same thing they did wrong under McClaren?

Look at the criticism the club get ...... giving Dykes, Wilock etc a run in the side rather than more established players,

Have I misunderstood your point here. Who are the established players you talk off.
BOS (again) on 11:28 - Jan 18 with 2874 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 11:23 - Jan 18 by QPR_John

Look at the criticism the club get ...... giving Dykes, Wilock etc a run in the side rather than more established players,

Have I misunderstood your point here. Who are the established players you talk off.

Criticism from some has been should have signed better players at the start of the season rather than give players who haven't quite been upto it a chance
BOS (again) on 11:49 - Jan 18 with 2760 viewsNorthernr

BOS (again) on 11:28 - Jan 18 by daveB

Criticism from some has been should have signed better players at the start of the season rather than give players who haven't quite been upto it a chance

And leaving us short in certain positions - CM, FB.

Bottom line on BOS, we're talking about developing players into assets to sell. BOS and Manning are two players we've put a fair chunk of time and money into developing to sell. They've both gone for a pittance, and in remarkably similar cirumctsnaces - i.e. mismanaged in the McClaren era.

You lose one player like that, ok, bad luck. To lose two? At the same time? For the same reason? Come on, it's a fck up. Maybe it's McClaren's fck up, but that was another Fernandes big name appointment, and we didn't have to go along with what he was saying and demanding.

Two sellable assets walk away for nothing and it's just oh bad luck, nothing you could have done, better luck next time? Not for me Clive.

(sorry Dave, just realised this looks like I'm havign a go at you, just hit the wrong reply button)

And to ward off any 'captain hindsight' hilarity, I called this one all the way through the McClaren season.

Here's me in August 2018...

Borrowing time — Preview 24th Aug 2018 20:23
QPR, with four defeats from four games to start the season, are now hanging their hopes on loan deals from Premier League reserve teams as a vibrant Wigan team arrive in W12. 4

One of two things have happened since he was appointed. We’ve either been spun an absolute PR lie about getting him in as a coach to work with the younger players and build on what happened at the end of last season, take what we saw against Birmingham and Norwich at Loftus Road and add consistency of message, team selection and approach. Or, that was the genuine intention, but we’ve now gone into a full blown panic. Neither of them are good news.

Ilias Chair, Bright Osayi-Samuel, Ryan Manning, Paul Smyth and now Osman Kakay were playing, and now are not. Manning has already been loaned out to Rotherham. Smyth, after one poor 45 minute start against Sheff Utd, is being linked with a similar move to Portsmouth. Kakay has been replaced by 35-year-old Angel Rangel. Chair hasn’t played a single minute. McClaren talks about the needs of “these young players” but he’s now only picking one of them, Ebere Eze, and one cannot wait to see how he crowbars Tomer Hemed and Nahki Wells into his favoured 4-2-3-1 set up without dropping him as well.

It looks, and sounds, and feels like we’ve gone back to that old QPR trick of changing the manager, getting in a big name that everybody has heard of, and bowing down to everything he says he wants and needs.

September 2018

Changing tack? — Preview 31st Aug 2018 16:46
QPR head to happy hunting ground St Andrew’s on Saturday, newly flushed with expensive, experienced players on loan? Is another strategy pivot afoot? 9

And February 2019

Seven games in a leaky boat — Report 24th Feb 2019 19:48
You know when we said we weren’t particularly concerned because the level of performance, effort and commitment was still there despite the trauma of recent results? Well let me tell you about QPR’s Saturday in Middlesbrough. 8

Half time changes, as per. Bright Osayi-Samuel summoned for a fool’s mission, as per. Ryan Manning hooked on 45 after being asked to go into a difficult away game, out of position, in an overrun midfield, after weeks of inaction, as per. Presumably that’s Ryan’s “chance” for the next few weeks done and we’ll see him again for some random cameo at left back around mid-April. Osayi-Samuel, similarly misused this season, had an impressive second half in impossible circumstances and will no doubt be rewarded for that with sporadic bursts of 20-45 minutes here and there as a replacement for one of the “men” over the coming weeks as this situation unravels still further. McClaren’s got enough on his plate right now but sooner or later he is going to realise that these kids he’s treated with varying degrees of indifference this season are going to be all he has come August when finances dictate that the out of contract players are released and his precious loaned “warriors” have all returned home.

BOS (again) on 12:24 - Jan 18 with 2639 viewsAntti_Heinola

BOS (again) on 11:18 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Hard to say without going back through the board, but there was a lot of agg on here about Manning being loaned to Rotherham, and Bright not getting minutes. And like I say, more importantly, the people above McClaren were aggy about Bright as well. It's a shame.

Absolutely, I think sending Manning out was a waste, and I think McClaren should certainly have been playing Bright more.
But no matter how much those above might rate a player, I find it hard to criticise them too much for not extending a contract that had 2 years to run, especially when they were trying when it still had 18 months left to run. It is sad, it is annoying and it is a shame. Also, they did essentially get £5m for him last summer. I think they've been a bit unlucky on this one.

Bare bones.

BOS (again) on 12:46 - Jan 18 with 2563 viewsqprd

BOS (again) on 10:17 - Jan 18 by Antti_Heinola

Interesting discussion.

To play devil's advocate, I believe Geoff Cameron's contract is up at the end of the season.

If we're not offering him a new deal (I imagine we probably won't), is the club failing to show commitment to him? If so, why should he try for us (other than pride, trying to attract other potential suitors)?

Is this not a two-way street? Why is it that it's ok for us to run down GC's contract, but not OK for BOS to run down his? Just a few months ago, Grant Hall was roundly criticised by some on here for not playing out the season in case he got injured and it scuppered a transfer. Now we have people, many of the same people I suspect, saying that BOS should not play because he won't be committed.

Not for the first time, I think with some, players can almost never win. I've said this a few times on here, but it's funny how if a player not in the first team runs their contract down they're a parasite, but if they are in the first team and run it down (even the phrase 'run it down' is pejorative - how dare someone stick to their contract that both parties willingly signed?!) then they're a scumbag only out for the money?

i have had a similar thought. its an imperfect analogy bc in the contract b/w club and player, the clubs obligation is to pay the player, and the players obligation is to pay. the club isnt under an obligation to play a player, whereas if a player decides he doent want to play, hes breaching his contract.... but i do agree with the spirit of your comment

there are a lot of holes and inconsistencies with the argument tho... also, what happens to MW in the last year of his contract?... if he doesnt sign whatever contract our owners put in front of him, would it he like it if he kept him away from the first team?

im not condoning brights on field behavior bc i think he hasnt been playing well and some of his behavior towards his teammates has been pathetic (the way he acted after chairs goal this season agaisnt rotherham was poor).... but the club shouldve seen the signs with him and tried to salvage something
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 12:49]
BOS (again) on 12:50 - Jan 18 with 2539 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 11:49 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Bottom line on BOS, we're talking about developing players into assets to sell. BOS and Manning are two players we've put a fair chunk of time and money into developing to sell. They've both gone for a pittance, and in remarkably similar cirumctsnaces - i.e. mismanaged in the McClaren era.

You lose one player like that, ok, bad luck. To lose two? At the same time? For the same reason? Come on, it's a fck up. Maybe it's McClaren's fck up, but that was another Fernandes big name appointment, and we didn't have to go along with what he was saying and demanding.

Two sellable assets walk away for nothing and it's just oh bad luck, nothing you could have done, better luck next time? Not for me Clive.

(sorry Dave, just realised this looks like I'm havign a go at you, just hit the wrong reply button)

And to ward off any 'captain hindsight' hilarity, I called this one all the way through the McClaren season.

QPR, with four defeats from four games to start the season, are now hanging their hopes on loan deals from Premier League reserve teams as a vibrant Wigan team arrive in W12. 4

One of two things have happened since he was appointed. We’ve either been spun an absolute PR lie about getting him in as a coach to work with the younger players and build on what happened at the end of last season, take what we saw against Birmingham and Norwich at Loftus Road and add consistency of message, team selection and approach. Or, that was the genuine intention, but we’ve now gone into a full blown panic. Neither of them are good news.

Ilias Chair, Bright Osayi-Samuel, Ryan Manning, Paul Smyth and now Osman Kakay were playing, and now are not. Manning has already been loaned out to Rotherham. Smyth, after one poor 45 minute start against Sheff Utd, is being linked with a similar move to Portsmouth. Kakay has been replaced by 35-year-old Angel Rangel. Chair hasn’t played a single minute. McClaren talks about the needs of “these young players” but he’s now only picking one of them, Ebere Eze, and one cannot wait to see how he crowbars Tomer Hemed and Nahki Wells into his favoured 4-2-3-1 set up without dropping him as well.

It looks, and sounds, and feels like we’ve gone back to that old QPR trick of changing the manager, getting in a big name that everybody has heard of, and bowing down to everything he says he wants and needs.

September 2018

QPR head to happy hunting ground St Andrew’s on Saturday, newly flushed with expensive, experienced players on loan? Is another strategy pivot afoot? 9

And February 2019

You know when we said we weren’t particularly concerned because the level of performance, effort and commitment was still there despite the trauma of recent results? Well let me tell you about QPR’s Saturday in Middlesbrough. 8

Half time changes, as per. Bright Osayi-Samuel summoned for a fool’s mission, as per. Ryan Manning hooked on 45 after being asked to go into a difficult away game, out of position, in an overrun midfield, after weeks of inaction, as per. Presumably that’s Ryan’s “chance” for the next few weeks done and we’ll see him again for some random cameo at left back around mid-April. Osayi-Samuel, similarly misused this season, had an impressive second half in impossible circumstances and will no doubt be rewarded for that with sporadic bursts of 20-45 minutes here and there as a replacement for one of the “men” over the coming weeks as this situation unravels still further. McClaren’s got enough on his plate right now but sooner or later he is going to realise that these kids he’s treated with varying degrees of indifference this season are going to be all he has come August when finances dictate that the out of contract players are released and his precious loaned “warriors” have all returned home.

you won't fine me disagreeing that the McClaren season was a cock up. I said at the time replacing Holloway with him was stupid but many suggested he would be great for player development.

The only bit i'll defend them on is the timing of the contracts where i don't think it's a blunder offering them ones with 2 years left
Login to get fewer ads

BOS (again) on 12:57 - Jan 18 with 2484 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 09:34 - Jan 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Good points, but as of now they couldn't spend more money even if they wanted to, or we'd break the rules again.

I agree with Wegerle - a new ground would change everything. The problem is I don't trust them on the issue of the ownership of the new ground.

Edit - Wegerle.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 9:36]

I agree that they are somewhat limited by P&S rules but the same rules and limits apply to everyone so P&S alone really shouldn't put QPR in a weaker position than other clubs (with the possible exception of those clubs recently relegated from the PL).

For this reason I firmly believe that the owners' decision to cut the budget was not solely driven by P&S. They reacted to a combination of being fined and Mittal reducing his shareholding (and therefore not having to contribute as much to the budget).
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 13:14]
BOS (again) on 13:02 - Jan 18 with 2457 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 08:45 - Jan 18 by bakerloo8

I dont think we should be playing any player that is not 100% committed to playing for us and unfortunately BOS falls into that category.
Stick him in the reserves if hes not willing to go this month, not like hes been great this season anyway and wing back defo ain't his position.

I very much doubt that BOS' agent is going to bust a gut engineering a move this month if he already has a pre-contract agreement with Fenerbache. Indeed, can a player take up another offer if a pre-contract agreement is in place?
BOS (again) on 13:04 - Jan 18 with 2450 viewsMatch82

BOS (again) on 12:24 - Jan 18 by Antti_Heinola

Absolutely, I think sending Manning out was a waste, and I think McClaren should certainly have been playing Bright more.
But no matter how much those above might rate a player, I find it hard to criticise them too much for not extending a contract that had 2 years to run, especially when they were trying when it still had 18 months left to run. It is sad, it is annoying and it is a shame. Also, they did essentially get £5m for him last summer. I think they've been a bit unlucky on this one.

This is a pretty important point when blaming the club for getting nothing. We had an offer, which we accepted, and the player refused the move. At the time I think the sentiment on here was that the club were idiots for accepting it and should hold out for more which we would easily get after he played a few more games this year.

Club has to take a lot of blame for how they handled this 2-3 years ago. But this year I think they have been very unlucky with BOS. Manning is a different story.
BOS (again) on 13:13 - Jan 18 with 2410 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 09:34 - Jan 18 by francisbowles

The reason the board are trying to run the club on a shoestring is because we have to stay within current Profit and Sustainability (formerly known as FFP) rules.

We have run out of parachute payments, our income is low and therefore we have had to reduce our player costs.

Everyone's income is low thanks to Covid-19. If anything Covid-19 should be temporarily levelling the playing field. P&S is a factor but the main reason the board decided to cut its cloth is because the current owners were fined and can no longer spend Mittal's money. Hoos would never admit this, of course, so he creates a P&S smokescreen to throw fans off track. It appears to be working.
BOS (again) on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 2363 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 13:04 - Jan 18 by Match82

This is a pretty important point when blaming the club for getting nothing. We had an offer, which we accepted, and the player refused the move. At the time I think the sentiment on here was that the club were idiots for accepting it and should hold out for more which we would easily get after he played a few more games this year.

Club has to take a lot of blame for how they handled this 2-3 years ago. But this year I think they have been very unlucky with BOS. Manning is a different story.

Yep that is an important point but I wouldn't put it all down to bad luck. The club handled BOS and Manning very differently, putting forward the argument that BOS will attract compensation if he leaves on a free. BOS played QPR like a fiddle and now that he is heading to Turkey it's unclear what, if any, compensation QPR will receive.
BOS (again) on 13:33 - Jan 18 with 2328 viewsBenny_the_Ball

BOS (again) on 12:50 - Jan 18 by daveB

you won't fine me disagreeing that the McClaren season was a cock up. I said at the time replacing Holloway with him was stupid but many suggested he would be great for player development.

The only bit i'll defend them on is the timing of the contracts where i don't think it's a blunder offering them ones with 2 years left

Yep it beggars belief that any club should ignore countless players and ex-players who have gone on record as saying that McClaren is a great coach but a poor man-manager.

That being said, I doubt that period came into BOS and Manning's thinking as they both featured heavily under MW. The simple truth is that they have the opportunity to earn more money at clubs with better foundations and more to play for. They're not the first and won't be the last.
BOS (again) on 13:59 - Jan 18 with 2255 viewsdavman

BOS (again) on 11:49 - Jan 18 by Northernr

September 2018

And February 2019

So, back to my point about a real live example on top of us TODAY. Should we be offering Illias a new 4 year deal today and if he doesn't sign by the start of next season, flog him?

I don't think so, but it is what a vast majority say that they would have done with BOS.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

BOS (again) on 14:25 - Jan 18 with 2142 viewsNorthernr

BOS (again) on 13:59 - Jan 18 by davman

So, back to my point about a real live example on top of us TODAY. Should we be offering Illias a new 4 year deal today and if he doesn't sign by the start of next season, flog him?

I don't think so, but it is what a vast majority say that they would have done with BOS.

Ilias renewed fairly recently. I think it's to 2023, and almost certainly has one of our famous options on it, so that would be three more seasons to summer 2024. No pressure on this summer but, yeh, if he's not going to renew again, and I suspect he's now butting up on the ceiling of our structure and would be unlikely to sign up again, then yeh this time next year or the summer after we need to be looking to sell for a big fee. And if he doesn't have an option then we've got to try and sell this year. He'll be out of compensation age when his current deal ends too so we absolutely cannot have any of this pising about with him. We did this with Eze pretty textbook tbf to them.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/ilias-chair-signs-new-three-year-deal/

BOS (again) on 14:26 - Jan 18 with 2135 viewsMatch82

BOS (again) on 13:20 - Jan 18 by Benny_the_Ball

Yep that is an important point but I wouldn't put it all down to bad luck. The club handled BOS and Manning very differently, putting forward the argument that BOS will attract compensation if he leaves on a free. BOS played QPR like a fiddle and now that he is heading to Turkey it's unclear what, if any, compensation QPR will receive.

Impression I got was that they were basing whether the player played on how contract talks were progressing. Negotiating in good faith and expect to come to an agreement = playing, no progress = not playing.

On the face of it I actually quite like that as a negotiating tactic. But (if that's what happened) it blew up because we got absolutely played by Brights agent, as you say.
BOS (again) on 14:28 - Jan 18 with 2124 viewsQPR_John

BOS (again) on 12:57 - Jan 18 by Benny_the_Ball

I agree that they are somewhat limited by P&S rules but the same rules and limits apply to everyone so P&S alone really shouldn't put QPR in a weaker position than other clubs (with the possible exception of those clubs recently relegated from the PL).

For this reason I firmly believe that the owners' decision to cut the budget was not solely driven by P&S. They reacted to a combination of being fined and Mittal reducing his shareholding (and therefore not having to contribute as much to the budget).

"I agree that they are somewhat limited by P&S rules but the same rules and limits apply to everyone so P&S alone really shouldn't put QPR in a weaker position than other clubs"

The same rules apply but past experience seems to suggest the punishments for digression do not.
BOS (again) on 14:50 - Jan 18 with 2039 viewsfrancisbowles

BOS (again) on 12:57 - Jan 18 by Benny_the_Ball

The same P&S rules may apply but what you can spend is governed but your income and the owners can only top that up to the allowable losses. Not every club's income is the same and there aren't many whose income less non playing costs are less than ours.

As for the owners, they have been putting a million a month into the club at times during the pandemic, without which I am pretty sure that we would be in administration, with an immediate points deduction and now playing in League one at best. Out of business completely at worst.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 14:51]
BOS (again) on 15:38 - Jan 18 with 1914 viewsqprd

i disagree with a lot of the points re blaming mclaren. if anything, i think mclaren made it easier for QPR to resign manning/bos

yes, mclaren was at fault for not playing BOS and loaning out manning (although bear in mind, ollie had basically frozen out manning for most of the second half of his last season... if you recall, he came on as a sub after not playing for about 2 months and was so overly keen he got sent off for a rash tackle within probably 5 mins of coming on)... but this relates to performance on the pitch

from a financial perspective, if anything, mclaren handed the club a gift when it came to contract negotiations.... the worst time to renegotiate a players contract for a club is when that player is coming off the back of multiple good performances... the club knows it has to pay more to retain the services of that player, and other clubs start swooping around trying to show interest in the player

QPR should have had enough internal information and scouting on both manning and bright to offer them contracts when they were least valued by other teams.... by not playing them, mclaren depreciated their values among other clubs, making it a lot easier for qpr to resign them and pay less.

QPR shouldnt have been trying to renegotiate brights contract after the birmingham city goal and the string of rly good performances that followed. they shouldve tried to sign him before... and if what clive is saying is right abt management highly rating him when he was out of the team, theres even less excuse
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 15:38]
BOS (again) on 15:52 - Jan 18 with 1844 viewsbakerloo8

BOS (again) on 13:02 - Jan 18 by Benny_the_Ball

I very much doubt that BOS' agent is going to bust a gut engineering a move this month if he already has a pre-contract agreement with Fenerbache. Indeed, can a player take up another offer if a pre-contract agreement is in place?

Likewise I very much doubt BOS will be busting a gut for QPR in the next six months if he already has a pre-contract agreement with Fenerbache.

A players career is short and a lot can happen in 6months. Best for Fenerbache to take him now and BOS can get some playing time and we can get a bit of compo for him. win, win, win for me.
BOS (again) on 16:21 - Jan 18 with 1760 viewsDejR_vu

There will always be those who have faith in the people who run the club, and those that have the opposite view. But, honestly, can anyone honestly say that they're surprised by this?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

BOS (again) on 16:38 - Jan 18 with 1690 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 15:38 - Jan 18 by qprd

i disagree with a lot of the points re blaming mclaren. if anything, i think mclaren made it easier for QPR to resign manning/bos

yes, mclaren was at fault for not playing BOS and loaning out manning (although bear in mind, ollie had basically frozen out manning for most of the second half of his last season... if you recall, he came on as a sub after not playing for about 2 months and was so overly keen he got sent off for a rash tackle within probably 5 mins of coming on)... but this relates to performance on the pitch

from a financial perspective, if anything, mclaren handed the club a gift when it came to contract negotiations.... the worst time to renegotiate a players contract for a club is when that player is coming off the back of multiple good performances... the club knows it has to pay more to retain the services of that player, and other clubs start swooping around trying to show interest in the player

QPR should have had enough internal information and scouting on both manning and bright to offer them contracts when they were least valued by other teams.... by not playing them, mclaren depreciated their values among other clubs, making it a lot easier for qpr to resign them and pay less.

QPR shouldnt have been trying to renegotiate brights contract after the birmingham city goal and the string of rly good performances that followed. they shouldve tried to sign him before... and if what clive is saying is right abt management highly rating him when he was out of the team, theres even less excuse
[Post edited 18 Jan 2021 15:38]

On the other hand they were less likely to want to sign as they had hardly played for 18 months.

It's not only about them not signing new deals it was a year wasted in their development which is the bigger crime for me, we had a potentially very good side but pissed it away with one crap managerial appointment
BOS (again) on 17:34 - Jan 18 with 1542 viewspaulparker

BOS (again) on 11:18 - Jan 18 by Northernr

Wasn’t there someone senior at the club at the time getting frustrated with Mclaren for not playing BOS , If that senior official at the club could see the promise of the player why not offer him a new deal ? After all they would of known Mclaren wouldn’t of seen the season out

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

BOS (again) on 17:41 - Jan 18 with 1506 viewsdaveB

BOS (again) on 17:34 - Jan 18 by paulparker

Wasn’t there someone senior at the club at the time getting frustrated with Mclaren for not playing BOS , If that senior official at the club could see the promise of the player why not offer him a new deal ? After all they would of known Mclaren wouldn’t of seen the season out

They did offer him a contract that summer which he indicated he would sign
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024