Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! 09:03 - Feb 26 with 6777 viewsPegojack

Well, my friends, a little announcement for those interested.

After living in Hereford for the past 20 years and working for the council for the past nine years, I'm about to hand in my one month's notice, and retire early at the age of 62.

Last week I went to Spain to view properties and agreed a deal to buy one in a little place called Adsubia near the town of Pego, ten miles inland from Denia in the northern Costa Blanca. I am moving out there permanently, lock, stock and barrel in early April (I hope).

It's absolutely crazy, but I've sold a modest three bedroom semi in a village near Hereford and for less money have bought a fairly luxurious three bedroom villa with 9 x 4 metres swimming pool overlooking the orange groves in this stunning valley only fifteen - twenty minutes drive from great beaches and the beautiful port town of Denia.

What am I going to miss the most? Need you ask? I've been supporting the Swans through thick and thin for fifty three years, ever since my dad first took me to sit in the double decker stand at the Vetch in 1965. It's going to be a huge wrench not going to every home match. But me and my partner have renewed our season tickets for next season. Of course, it's illegal to let my brother who lives in Baglan use the tickets when I'm not in the UK, so I won't be doing that (). I hope to be getting back a few times a season to watch matches.

And you can bet your bottom dollar the Swans will make the FA Cup Final now that I'm going! I'll come back for that one, though, never fear.

So my friends, I leave you with the message enjoy life, you never know how long you've got, and don't argue too much with each other. We're all Jacks together. And I'll still be lurking around this Board in my new incarnation, Pegojack!
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:19 - Feb 26 with 2692 viewsmax936

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:02 - Feb 26 by Darran

Mikes a Baglan boy FFS,he’ll be fine.

When are you going

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:27 - Feb 26 with 2684 viewsmonmouth

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:51 - Feb 26 with 2666 viewsLohengrin

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:56 - Feb 26 by Pegojack

Hiya mate,

I had never been to that area of Spain before last week, but did a huge amount of research on tinternet and talking to various people. I'd been further north to the Costa Brava and further south around Malaga/Marbella, but never to this area south of Valencia.

I didn't want to be in the concrete jungle that is Torrevieja, surrounded by British ex pats playing bowls all day, shopping in Zenia Boulevard and drinking Watneys Red Barrel, blah, blah, blah.

The northern Costa Blanca is the second most healthy place to live in the world, according to the WHO. The climate is mild winters and warm summers, without getting into the 40s in the peak of the summer. It's greener and more scenic than further down the coast, and more typically Spanish. Denia and Xavia are fab towns. The beaches are great. Yes, there is a thriving ex pat community where I'm going to live, but lots of locals too.

I picked the house first, which just happened to be near Pego, but Pego itself is a nice Spanish town with all the required amenities. And a great Chinese restaurant, which I sampled on Tuesday!

[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 10:52]

That’s a big step, mate. I wish you the best of luck. My parents bought a place between Murcia and Torrevieja about twenty five years ago and I recognise the concrete/ex-pat picture you painted. It wasn’t always that way but the rate of development has been extraordinary.

You can look forward to a dotage of fresh fruit and no arthritis. Good for you.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 16:08 - Feb 26 with 2656 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 15:51 - Feb 26 by Lohengrin

That’s a big step, mate. I wish you the best of luck. My parents bought a place between Murcia and Torrevieja about twenty five years ago and I recognise the concrete/ex-pat picture you painted. It wasn’t always that way but the rate of development has been extraordinary.

You can look forward to a dotage of fresh fruit and no arthritis. Good for you.

Cheers, Loh.

Yes, the area is covered in commercial orange groves and you see oranges everywhere, in fields, people's gardens, growing in public spaces, etc. Half the time the oranges and lemons are just lying on the ground where they fell. You're allowed to pick an orange for yourself off any fruit tree you're passing, apparently, as long as you don't take the p*ss.

Get f*cked, Tropicana!
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 18:55 - Feb 26 with 2575 viewsvalleyboy

You will be back, mark my words

Who can stick sun at 40 degrees C at your age

Tell me, do you still have texts that wakes you up in the middle of the night these days
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 19:27 - Feb 26 with 2542 viewsjacktar

Good luck HJ .
We moved out as a family (wife and 2 young kids) to work in Spain almost 30 years ago. Not quite so easy when you have to work in 30 - 35 degree heat to being retired with your time your own. Things didn't quite work out and we were back in Swansea 2 years later but to be honest we never regret our decision to take the step.
Now we are retired we are able to spend around 2 months each year in Spain and hope to carry on for as long as we can. Over the years we have visited most parts of Spain including Javea and Denia which are beautiful towns and Valencia is a good place to visit. Never made it to Pego though but I'm sure you've made the right decision.

Buena salud y buena suerte.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 19:35 - Feb 26 with 2520 viewsdickythorpe

Brilliant decision!!! All the very best to you!!!
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 19:46 - Feb 26 with 2500 viewsbonymine

All the very best for the exciting times which now await you both.

I have aspirations myself of at least spending the winter months in sunny Spain in the not too distant future, probably the Malaga area which I know so well.

Have visited for many, many years and the climate has been an amazing therapy for my asthma and arthritis in my knees ......even in Jan/Feb you can usually get away with shorts and t shirts in the daytime.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Login to get fewer ads

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 23:05 - Feb 26 with 2413 viewsjack_lord

How far to the nearest Lidl :)

My cousin moved to Malaga some ten years ago and is as happy as a pig in ......

I want to move to costa brava but when the time does come, maybe further down the coast of Spain would have advantages.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 23:09 - Feb 26 with 2404 viewsKilkennyjack

All the best mate.

Keep posting and enjoy your new life.

I would like to think that the Celtic nations will help smash the bedwetters Brexit - and so you will be able to get your teeth fixed out there, should you need it. And other good health stuff.

Obviously send all the bright young things back over to NHS Wales. .

YJB.

Beware of the Risen People

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 02:31 - Feb 27 with 2338 viewsmajorraglan

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 16:08 - Feb 26 by Pegojack

Cheers, Loh.

Yes, the area is covered in commercial orange groves and you see oranges everywhere, in fields, people's gardens, growing in public spaces, etc. Half the time the oranges and lemons are just lying on the ground where they fell. You're allowed to pick an orange for yourself off any fruit tree you're passing, apparently, as long as you don't take the p*ss.

Get f*cked, Tropicana!

Good luck with the move. The wife’s uncle moved to Spain many years ago after being in business and his doctor told him it would put 10 years on his life. Lots of his friends and family are no longer with us, but he is still going strong.

If you have a plentiful supply of oranges, get yourself a proper juicer like the Spanish have. The difference between fresh and the gunk we buy in the shops is simply staggering. I am sure that I speak for most of the posters on here, let us know how you get on as I suspect lots would like to make the same move.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 06:48 - Feb 27 with 2308 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 09:56 - Feb 26 by Pegojack

Hiya mate,

I had never been to that area of Spain before last week, but did a huge amount of research on tinternet and talking to various people. I'd been further north to the Costa Brava and further south around Malaga/Marbella, but never to this area south of Valencia.

I didn't want to be in the concrete jungle that is Torrevieja, surrounded by British ex pats playing bowls all day, shopping in Zenia Boulevard and drinking Watneys Red Barrel, blah, blah, blah.

The northern Costa Blanca is the second most healthy place to live in the world, according to the WHO. The climate is mild winters and warm summers, without getting into the 40s in the peak of the summer. It's greener and more scenic than further down the coast, and more typically Spanish. Denia and Xavia are fab towns. The beaches are great. Yes, there is a thriving ex pat community where I'm going to live, but lots of locals too.

I picked the house first, which just happened to be near Pego, but Pego itself is a nice Spanish town with all the required amenities. And a great Chinese restaurant, which I sampled on Tuesday!

[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 10:52]

Great move mate. Made up for you, I hope you love every minute in your place in the sun. It's madness any pensioner wanting to live here, I'll be b*ggering of to Cyprus god willing. Salud!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 08:43 - Feb 27 with 2266 viewsPegojack

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, you won't be losing me from here, it'll be my main source of info on the Swans and I'll be lurking, as I said.

By the way, anyone know how you change your username? It isn't obvious on the personal details bit.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 08:46 - Feb 27 with 2264 viewsItchySphincter

Fair play, good luck with the move and all.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:49 - Feb 27 with 2227 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 08:46 - Feb 27 by ItchySphincter

Fair play, good luck with the move and all.

Thanks mate, appreciated.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:06 - Feb 27 with 2186 viewsJackFish

Creo que tienes que aprender Español antes de irte.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:34 - Feb 27 with 2159 viewsDewi1jack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:06 - Feb 27 by JackFish

Creo que tienes que aprender Español antes de irte.

Good luck with your new life mate.
Sun is easier on old age bones than the drizzle here!

You'll be back for the Cup final when we lift the thing and the 1927 history can be put to bed once and for all time

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 13:05 - Feb 27 with 2140 viewskarnataka

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 12:06 - Feb 26 by Loyal

Its fcking freezing there in the winter.

Lived near there for two years, absolutely brass monkey weather in December, January and February. Don't be fooled by the day time temps.

Best of luck though, I know a few folk right over the other side near portugal and I can vouch for the climate there.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 12:11]

Glad to hear that, Loyal, I'm going to that part of Spain a week tomorrow, flying to Faro & driving.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 13:14 - Feb 27 with 2138 viewskarnataka

Well, Mike, that was quick! I'll certainly miss you & Cat on match days but sincerely hope you both find everything there to your liking and wish you all the best. You never know, me & the missus might pop out there to see you occasionally! Any excuse. Hope to see you on Saturday?
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 13:16 - Feb 27 with 2134 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 13:14 - Feb 27 by karnataka

Well, Mike, that was quick! I'll certainly miss you & Cat on match days but sincerely hope you both find everything there to your liking and wish you all the best. You never know, me & the missus might pop out there to see you occasionally! Any excuse. Hope to see you on Saturday?

Yes, see you in the Globe on Saturday, mate.
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 21:01 - Feb 27 with 2056 viewsjack2jack

Best wishes to you HJ, hope it all goes well.😉
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 23:47 - Feb 27 with 2004 viewsDJack

Firstly, well done mate.

Secondly, when can the missus and I come for an extended visit?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 06:03 - Feb 28 with 1968 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 23:47 - Feb 27 by DJack

Firstly, well done mate.

Secondly, when can the missus and I come for an extended visit?

I'm sure we can work something out (B&B is 500 Euros/week).
Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:36 - Feb 28 with 1916 viewsjack_lord

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 06:03 - Feb 28 by Pegojack

I'm sure we can work something out (B&B is 500 Euros/week).

each :)

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:40 - Feb 28 with 1913 viewsPegojack

Goodbye Herefordjack, hello Pegojack! on 10:36 - Feb 28 by jack_lord

each :)

Depends what his missus looks like.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024