Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have the government failed? 08:00 - Apr 27 with 26319 viewsRiscaJack

Can the more educated posters on this forum give me some opinions on this?

For me it looks like a complete disgrace from the start, no leadership, promises not kept, flights still coming into country from badly hit parts of world, using the excuse of "scientific advice" for not postponing the likes of Cheltenham Festival, Liverpool v Madrid, music gigs. We watched what was happening in Italy, I just can't find any excuses for them.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 08:22 - Apr 27 with 3252 viewsSwanjaxs

No

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Should we take an unprecedented truce between Planet Swans and CCMB?

Have the government failed? on 08:32 - Apr 27 with 3229 viewsDr_Winston

Yes on some things, no on others. They've only got themselves to blame in certain areas (such as allowing the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead or the lack of quarantine for new arrivals) but have also taken undue stick on others. For example, you'd swear that we were the only country with issues obtaining enough PPE the way some people carry on.

Ultimately there's going to be no way of knowing for sure what went well or wrong until it's all over. Comparisons with other countries are largely pointless at this stage given disparities in population, density, international travel, geographical location etc.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Have the government failed? on 08:49 - Apr 27 with 3207 viewsBest_loser

Definitely

Even the Murdoch owned tory loving Sunday Times says so

The bungling idiot Boris has a lot of blood on his hands, so does the terrible cabinet he picked

Have the government failed? on 09:21 - Apr 27 with 3153 viewssainthelens

Promising 100k daily tests come May1st. When that tw@t Hancock gave ultimate promises.
FAIL!.

Have the government failed? on 09:27 - Apr 27 with 3141 viewsBest_loser

UK deaths ....43,000

Vietnam deaths .....1

Have the government failed? on 09:32 - Apr 27 with 3130 viewsraynor94

Should have locked down 2 weeks earlier, and the arrivals at Heathrow have been a farce.

Apart from Germany, have any of the major European countries managed it any better

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game

Have the government failed? on 09:38 - Apr 27 with 3117 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have the government failed? on 08:32 - Apr 27 by Dr_Winston

Yes on some things, no on others. They've only got themselves to blame in certain areas (such as allowing the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead or the lack of quarantine for new arrivals) but have also taken undue stick on others. For example, you'd swear that we were the only country with issues obtaining enough PPE the way some people carry on.

Ultimately there's going to be no way of knowing for sure what went well or wrong until it's all over. Comparisons with other countries are largely pointless at this stage given disparities in population, density, international travel, geographical location etc.

This post has been edited by an administrator

In 2016 they ran an exercise (Cygnus - I think?) for such an eventuality as we have now. The uk was found to be underprepared and nothing was done to address it.

PPE companies in the UK continually offered the Government supply which they turned down as they were trying to source from abroad. Also did not join the EU PPE sourcing for whatever reason.

Failure to implement a lockdown earlier which would have helped restrict the transmission of COVID. Not only that but their 5 crucial weeks of briefings which weren’t acted upon.

Airports are still allowing people in with no screening - with Heathrow a tube ride away from Central London - making the risk to key workers rise significantly.

I’d say they’ve made a huge mess of this. You don’t have to be intelligent to work that out.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Have the government failed? on 09:42 - Apr 27 with 3108 viewsBest_loser

Have the government failed? on 09:32 - Apr 27 by raynor94

Should have locked down 2 weeks earlier, and the arrivals at Heathrow have been a farce.

Apart from Germany, have any of the major European countries managed it any better

Ireland, portugal, norway, finland, hollnd, germany, denmark, poland, switzerland, austria, hungary, Romania , Greece etc etc .....
[Post edited 27 Apr 9:45]
Login to get fewer ads

Have the government failed? on 09:43 - Apr 27 with 3102 viewsDr_Winston

Have the government failed? on 09:38 - Apr 27 by Brynmill_Jack

In 2016 they ran an exercise (Cygnus - I think?) for such an eventuality as we have now. The uk was found to be underprepared and nothing was done to address it.

PPE companies in the UK continually offered the Government supply which they turned down as they were trying to source from abroad. Also did not join the EU PPE sourcing for whatever reason.

Failure to implement a lockdown earlier which would have helped restrict the transmission of COVID. Not only that but their 5 crucial weeks of briefings which weren’t acted upon.

Airports are still allowing people in with no screening - with Heathrow a tube ride away from Central London - making the risk to key workers rise significantly.

I’d say they’ve made a huge mess of this. You don’t have to be intelligent to work that out.

How much stuff has actually been delivered by the EU PPE schemes? Ventilators too. Ventilators that it would seem were largely unnecessary.

As for lockdown, there are already grumbles about the number of people beginning to ignore it. If we'd locked down two to four weeks earlier they'd have been doing that just as we were at or past peak.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Have the government failed? on 10:00 - Apr 27 with 3056 viewsHighjack

It’s easy to say they should have locked down earlier now. It was and is probably the biggest restrictions on civil liberties we’ve had in this country in peacetime in centuries.

Not an easy or quick step for any government to take.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: The official planetswans European election poll. Your vote goes to?

Have the government failed? on 10:03 - Apr 27 with 3044 viewsjack2jack

Agreed,in fact they should have closed our borders much sooner and anyone flying in or coming in by other means,told to go straight home and self isolate,simple as that.
As for the rest of it, combination of incompetance and complaicancy.
Let's all hope that we are over the worst,and that we can get back to normal,what ever that is,as soon as possible.

Have the government failed? on 10:07 - Apr 27 with 3038 viewshobo

Failed miserably

They're acting as if the pandemic hit us by surprise, when the reality is we knew for months what was coming (Years if you take the pandemic recommendation report into account)

Abysmal stuff

FREE BEN & JERRY'S ICE CREAM shorturl.at/hkLM4

Have the government failed? on 10:32 - Apr 27 with 2999 viewsmonmouth

Have the government failed? on 09:21 - Apr 27 by sainthelens

Promising 100k daily tests come May1st. When that tw@t Hancock gave ultimate promises.
FAIL!.

Much as I think Handjob is a snivelling weasel that would lick anyones boots as a career choice, he did at least try and do something positive by setting a target. Ok he's not competent enough to meet it, or lets say it's unlikely, but Johnson and the rest have done nothing except blunder, dissemble and hide and routinely get away with it.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Have the government failed? on 10:37 - Apr 27 with 2990 viewssainthelens

Have the government failed? on 10:32 - Apr 27 by monmouth

Much as I think Handjob is a snivelling weasel that would lick anyones boots as a career choice, he did at least try and do something positive by setting a target. Ok he's not competent enough to meet it, or lets say it's unlikely, but Johnson and the rest have done nothing except blunder, dissemble and hide and routinely get away with it.

Problem is that a lot of people will be hanging onto any hope that life will improve. So to make false promises will ultimately affect the mental health of the nation and install total mistrust in future statements.
Having Boris thinking he's fckn Churchill not helping.
Have the government failed? on 10:41 - Apr 27 with 2981 viewscontroversial_jack

Greece, the Czech republic have done much better.Just those 2 off the top of my head
Have the government failed? on 10:42 - Apr 27 with 2980 viewsWarwickHunt

Have the government failed? on 10:32 - Apr 27 by monmouth

I’d have more respect if the “target” wasn’t a nice round arbitrary figure plucked out of the air on the hoof.

100,000 - yep, sounds good!
Have the government failed? on 10:58 - Apr 27 with 2956 viewsraynor94

Have the government failed? on 10:41 - Apr 27 by controversial_jack

Greece, the Czech republic have done much better.Just those 2 off the top of my head

With respect, those two countries have barely a bigger population than London alone.

By major, I meant Italy, Spain and France, countries with large populations

Have the government failed? on 11:01 - Apr 27 with 2947 viewsmagicdaps10

It's hard to say if countries have fared better! Some countries don't have the input and output of people that other countries do, the figures are and will not be true for sure.

Unfortunately some govermant will see this as an opportunity to come out as the King's of Covid 19, you can call it deceitful or clever.... Either way it is wrong.

Poll: Is Steve Cooper the man going forward?

Have the government failed? on 11:21 - Apr 27 with 2921 viewsBest_loser

Have the government failed? on 10:58 - Apr 27 by raynor94

With respect, those two countries have barely a bigger population than London alone.

I assume it was taken from a death per million table which takes into account population sizes
[Post edited 27 Apr 11:26]
Have the government failed? on 11:38 - Apr 27 with 2891 viewsRiscaJack

Am i right in saying we sat back and watched all of this going on in Spain and Italy though? Instead of taking it seriously we had crowds of over 60,000 four days in a row at Cheltenham, 45,000 crowd at Anfield including 3,000 allowed in country from Madrid, these are only two of the more high profile events, there were plenty more around country.

Boris, and his senior staff should resign when this is over. They have failed the country.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 11:42 - Apr 27 with 2878 viewsraynor94

Have the government failed? on 11:38 - Apr 27 by RiscaJack

Am i right in saying we sat back and watched all of this going on in Spain and Italy though? Instead of taking it seriously we had crowds of over 60,000 four days in a row at Cheltenham, 45,000 crowd at Anfield including 3,000 allowed in country from Madrid, these are only two of the more high profile events, there were plenty more around country.

Boris, and his senior staff should resign when this is over. They have failed the country.

Can't argue at all over the events, the two stereophonics, concerts in Cardiff, were nothing short of criminal

Have the government failed? on 11:57 - Apr 27 with 2856 viewsProfessor

Not completely, but a poor performance

1. Poorly prepared, given this was clearly coming
2. Too slow to act. The lockdown was about a week later than it should have been. Any earlier and it would have caused other problem
3. Not following scientific advice. I am sure it will emerge that the Herd Immunity option was not the main recommendation but was selected by Valance and Cummings to go forward to cabinet. This also links ti the late lockdown
4. Lack of transparency and downright lies
5. No concern for care sector
6. Hiding behind the Thursday clap, Captain Tom etc. to disguise the fact the NHS has been systematically run-down to allow a complete privitisation

Have the government failed? on 11:57 - Apr 27 with 2853 viewsOldjack

We were warned by Presidents and scientist many years ago about something like this happening around the world Did we or any one else take notice NAAAAAAAAA .Far to much money to spend on something that may never happen.

We should have definatly gone into lockdown and closed all borders much sooner

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Have the government failed? on 12:10 - Apr 27 with 2836 viewscontroversial_jack

It does seem that the larger, richer, more developed countries with good infrastructures and free market economies hove done worse
Have the government failed? on 12:14 - Apr 27 with 2832 viewsmonmouth

Have the government failed? on 11:57 - Apr 27 by Professor

Not completely, but a poor performance

1. Poorly prepared, given this was clearly coming
2. Too slow to act. The lockdown was about a week later than it should have been. Any earlier and it would have caused other problem
3. Not following scientific advice. I am sure it will emerge that the Herd Immunity option was not the main recommendation but was selected by Valance and Cummings to go forward to cabinet. This also links ti the late lockdown
4. Lack of transparency and downright lies
5. No concern for care sector
6. Hiding behind the Thursday clap, Captain Tom etc. to disguise the fact the NHS has been systematically run-down to allow a complete privitisation

The hypocrisy of the last one, and Johnson and Patel singing their praises when they would sell it and kick out any 'foreigners' that keep it running, makes my blood boil. Hopefully boiling blood protects against the Corona apocalypse.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2020