Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have the government failed? 08:00 - Apr 27 with 27670 viewsRiscaJack

Can the more educated posters on this forum give me some opinions on this?

For me it looks like a complete disgrace from the start, no leadership, promises not kept, flights still coming into country from badly hit parts of world, using the excuse of "scientific advice" for not postponing the likes of Cheltenham Festival, Liverpool v Madrid, music gigs. We watched what was happening in Italy, I just can't find any excuses for them.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 14:20 - May 3 with 681 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 14:04 - May 3 by controversial_jack

The Welsh govt believes that mass testing is a waste of resources, because a negative result is meaningless , as someone could pick it up the next day if they go back to work etc.If it's right or wrong who knows

The reason it’s not a waste of resources is that anyone with symptoms at present (or their families) is out of action for 14 days. If you can be tested and are clear, you don’t waste 14 days. If you’re an essential worker that’s vital. Even if you’re not, it’s increasingly vital as the whole country going bust is going to kill more people than the virus so we can’t keep it up for ever.

If you are negative and then have symptoms again in a few weeks, you get tested again. It’s not a one off.
Have the government failed? on 14:23 - May 3 with 674 viewsHighjack

Have the government failed? on 14:04 - May 3 by controversial_jack

The Welsh govt believes that mass testing is a waste of resources, because a negative result is meaningless , as someone could pick it up the next day if they go back to work etc.If it's right or wrong who knows

This seems like common sense to me. You could be tested on the Monday morning, then catch the virus down the shop in the afternoon, get the all clear on the Tuesday and go back to work thinking you’re clear and infect 20 people.
[Post edited 3 May 14:30]

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: The official planetswans European election poll. Your vote goes to?

Have the government failed? on 14:39 - May 3 with 639 viewsHighjack

Have the government failed? on 14:20 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

The reason it’s not a waste of resources is that anyone with symptoms at present (or their families) is out of action for 14 days. If you can be tested and are clear, you don’t waste 14 days. If you’re an essential worker that’s vital. Even if you’re not, it’s increasingly vital as the whole country going bust is going to kill more people than the virus so we can’t keep it up for ever.

If you are negative and then have symptoms again in a few weeks, you get tested again. It’s not a one off.

If you’ve got fever or other similar symptoms then you shouldn’t be going in to work if you’re a doctor or nurse anyway. Flu symptoms can last over a week. The common cold can be fatal to those who are weak or recovering. I think it’s just safer to say if you’ve got symptoms of a contagious illness just stay home until you’re sure it’s gone.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: The official planetswans European election poll. Your vote goes to?

Have the government failed? on 14:42 - May 3 with 637 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 14:23 - May 3 by Highjack

This seems like common sense to me. You could be tested on the Monday morning, then catch the virus down the shop in the afternoon, get the all clear on the Tuesday and go back to work thinking you’re clear and infect 20 people.
[Post edited 3 May 14:30]

So are we saying the WHOs cry of test, test, test is also bollocks?

It has to be the basis of tracking and tracing which we are also supposed to be massively gearing up on, now it is more realistic for us as the cases reduce.

The immunity test though has got to be a key plank going forward, although the effectiveness and longevity of that immunity still need to be well evidenced. But then perhaps we are back to herd immunity as the initial peak has been managed, so not to overwhelm the NHS.
Have the government failed? on 14:49 - May 3 with 623 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 14:39 - May 3 by Highjack

If you’ve got fever or other similar symptoms then you shouldn’t be going in to work if you’re a doctor or nurse anyway. Flu symptoms can last over a week. The common cold can be fatal to those who are weak or recovering. I think it’s just safer to say if you’ve got symptoms of a contagious illness just stay home until you’re sure it’s gone.

But essential workers are so much more than the NHS. If you’ve a slight cold, carrying on with food production, working in the distribution industry, construction, water maintenance etc etc etc is fine. Taking 14 days off for your family having a cold is insane.
Have the government failed? on 15:05 - May 3 with 595 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 14:49 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

But essential workers are so much more than the NHS. If you’ve a slight cold, carrying on with food production, working in the distribution industry, construction, water maintenance etc etc etc is fine. Taking 14 days off for your family having a cold is insane.

If you have symptoms then you should assume its the virus and stay home and isolate. That's been the advice all along
Have the government failed? on 15:22 - May 3 with 564 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 15:05 - May 3 by controversial_jack

If you have symptoms then you should assume its the virus and stay home and isolate. That's been the advice all along

I know. And now we have testing capacity that means that such a blanket approach won’t be needed.

So we won’t have a quarter of the workforce off unnecessarily because one of their family members has hay fever when it gets warmer next week. That’s why it’s a good thing.
Have the government failed? on 16:58 - May 3 with 508 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 15:22 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

I know. And now we have testing capacity that means that such a blanket approach won’t be needed.

So we won’t have a quarter of the workforce off unnecessarily because one of their family members has hay fever when it gets warmer next week. That’s why it’s a good thing.

I would like to think those who regularly suffer hay fever would know the difference, but as i don't, I wouldn't know
Login to get fewer ads

Have the government failed? on 17:12 - May 3 with 494 viewsCatullus

Isn't the idea behind testing to find those who are infected? So how is it useless?

If we don't mass test there could be hundreds of infectious staff still spreading the virus. A negative test is great news for the individual person but a posiitve test is great news for all the people who won't come into contact with an infected person.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Have the government failed? on 17:15 - May 3 with 493 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 17:12 - May 3 by Catullus

Isn't the idea behind testing to find those who are infected? So how is it useless?

If we don't mass test there could be hundreds of infectious staff still spreading the virus. A negative test is great news for the individual person but a posiitve test is great news for all the people who won't come into contact with an infected person.

It doubt its possible to test the entire workforce
Have the government failed? on 17:22 - May 3 with 486 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 17:15 - May 3 by controversial_jack

It doubt its possible to test the entire workforce

Of course it's possible, in time. That's irrelevant though. Every positive test potentially saves lives.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Have the government failed? on 18:26 - May 3 with 448 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 16:58 - May 3 by controversial_jack

I would like to think those who regularly suffer hay fever would know the difference, but as i don't, I wouldn't know

Not really. I have hay fever (tree pollen for me so bad in the last couple of weeks until it started to rain) and the main symptom I get is a dry cough and general sinus pain / feeling a bit crap. Both of which are also virus symptoms. I don’t get a runny nose and sneezing. So it’s hard to tell.

I mean I know I don’t have the virus as I don’t have to leave to go to work or on public transport etc, but if I did, I’d be wondering. Something like a quarter of the population get hay fever. You could easily mistake symptoms depending on how it affects you. Particularly given symptoms for the virus appear to be so different for different people.
Have the government failed? on 18:36 - May 3 with 428 viewsperplex

Have the government failed? on 16:58 - May 3 by controversial_jack

I get Hay fever every year May to July and 100% know the symptoms, and am pretty confident that i will have a good idea if any symptoms I get will be Hay fever or not.
[Post edited 3 May 18:40]
Have the government failed? on 18:48 - May 3 with 415 viewsGaryjack

Have the government failed? on 18:36 - May 3 by perplex

I get Hay fever every year May to July and 100% know the symptoms, and am pretty confident that i will have a good idea if any symptoms I get will be Hay fever or not.

So are you saying that you wouldn't bother getting tested and carry on going to work as normal? Because to do so would be highly irresponsible don't you think?
Have the government failed? on 20:16 - May 3 with 370 viewsCooperman

Have the government failed? on 18:36 - May 3 by perplex

My hayfever symptoms have changed in recent years. I used to suffer from streaming eyes and sneezing but am now more aware of cough and chest irritations.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Have the government failed? on 20:49 - May 3 with 341 viewsploppy

Have the government failed? on 20:16 - May 3 by Cooperman

My hayfever symptoms have changed in recent years. I used to suffer from streaming eyes and sneezing but am now more aware of cough and chest irritations.

That's interesting. Mine too, but they've changed over the last 20 years. Used to suffer from streaming eyes and sneezing during grass pollen season, now it's more during tree pollen season - but less sneezing and more stuffy head and ears. I guess the main clue is that there's no actual fever i.e. high temp, as a result of hayfever - at least not for me.
Have the government failed? on 20:55 - May 3 with 333 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 20:49 - May 3 by ploppy

That's interesting. Mine too, but they've changed over the last 20 years. Used to suffer from streaming eyes and sneezing during grass pollen season, now it's more during tree pollen season - but less sneezing and more stuffy head and ears. I guess the main clue is that there's no actual fever i.e. high temp, as a result of hayfever - at least not for me.

In the absence of a thermometer, (which I’ve only in the past few weeks realised that everyone apart from me seems to have), I’m not sure how you tell if your temperature goes up a bit unless it’s extreme.
Have the government failed? on 21:00 - May 3 with 324 viewsploppy

Have the government failed? on 20:55 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

In the absence of a thermometer, (which I’ve only in the past few weeks realised that everyone apart from me seems to have), I’m not sure how you tell if your temperature goes up a bit unless it’s extreme.

True - you can't guess. Shocked you don't have a thermometer. Can't take you seriously now!

Have the government failed? on 21:07 - May 3 with 310 viewsexiledclaseboy

Are people regularly checking their temperature these days then?

Poll: Tory leader

Have the government failed? on 21:16 - May 3 with 302 viewskarnataka

Have the government failed? on 20:16 - May 3 by Cooperman

That's exactly me too Coops, been like that for about 2 weeks now especially during the good weather. Not too bad last couple of rainy days but the cough is still a bloody nuisance. My wife keeps giving me strange looks when I cough but I know it's hay fever.
Have the government failed? on 21:30 - May 3 with 285 viewsJack_Meoff

Have the government failed? on 21:07 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

Are people regularly checking their temperature these days then?

No need here. I'm f*cking hot every day.

*coat*

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Have the government failed? on 22:17 - May 3 with 256 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 21:30 - May 3 by Jack_Meoff

No need here. I'm f*cking hot every day.

*coat*

Photo please, let’s get at least one confirmed fact on this thread
Have the government failed? on 22:26 - May 3 with 248 viewsBanosswan

Have the government failed? on 18:26 - May 3 by londonlisa2001

Not really. I have hay fever (tree pollen for me so bad in the last couple of weeks until it started to rain) and the main symptom I get is a dry cough and general sinus pain / feeling a bit crap. Both of which are also virus symptoms. I don’t get a runny nose and sneezing. So it’s hard to tell.

I mean I know I don’t have the virus as I don’t have to leave to go to work or on public transport etc, but if I did, I’d be wondering. Something like a quarter of the population get hay fever. You could easily mistake symptoms depending on how it affects you. Particularly given symptoms for the virus appear to be so different for different people.

Which trees? Birch pollen can be very different to oak or alder pollen by date. Have you had a skin prick or RAST test to identify the individual pollens?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Have the government failed? on 22:35 - May 3 with 240 viewsA_Fans_Dad

For those with hayfever buy an Oximeter to check your Oxygen levels, that will tell you if you are losing Oxygen due to COVID-19 or pneumonia.

Have the government failed? on 22:41 - May 3 with 229 viewsTreforys_Jack

My hayfever leads to a chest infection every year. Tree pollen for me as well , didn't start until I was in my 30's, now very predictable, same time and symptoms leading to anti biotics every bloody year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2020