Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need a good old fashioned poacher. 19:59 - Dec 27 with 4545 viewsBobbi66

We miss so many good chances which are costing us points.Would like a Clive Allen or Kevin Gallen type.Billy Sharp not playing much
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 11:29 - Dec 29 with 1318 viewsPinnerPaul

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 21:47 - Dec 27 by Juzzie

Second best goal scorers in the division.

Its the defending that’s the problem.

Very good point.

Teams 2nd - 6th have all scored almost exactly the same as us - problem is the 'defending'

Whether that is the actual defenders, the 'system' or the 'team not defending' - take your pick - it needs sorting!
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 17:51 - Dec 29 with 1227 viewsted_hendrix

We also need a goalkeeper who can catch the ball and actually then keep hold of the fcking thing.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:38 - Dec 30 with 1149 viewskarl

QPR seem to get linked to Scottish players regularly atm. Latest is Lawrence Shankland at Dundee Utd, press say Sir Les was up watching him albeit along with Bees, Everton and a couple of others.
He was a top rated youth at Aberdeen but went off the rails a bit before re igniting his career at Ayr Utd and has since not stopped scoring, was available for free preseason and only Dundee United took the plunge apparently on big wages for Scottish football although they're in Championship, I think it would take about £1m to get him.
He reminds me of Stephen Dobbie with his career path and if he continues to follow it then he would be a perfect English Championship player.
Not the same attributes as Dobbie but he is basically just a goalscorer but importantly he's able to do it up front on his own, pretty quick, strong and got a very good scoring to chances record (from my own recollection not stats based).
He's not young (23-24?) so would need to hit the ground running, next move is his big one particularly if he wants to build on his recent Scotland cap.
I don't know any actual stories but most reasons given for only Dundee United taking the chance on him was his off field behaviour, quite possibly has sorted these out as seems to have knuckled down well.
If we've got £1m to spend I would take a chance on him
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:45 - Dec 30 with 1134 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:38 - Dec 30 by karl

QPR seem to get linked to Scottish players regularly atm. Latest is Lawrence Shankland at Dundee Utd, press say Sir Les was up watching him albeit along with Bees, Everton and a couple of others.
He was a top rated youth at Aberdeen but went off the rails a bit before re igniting his career at Ayr Utd and has since not stopped scoring, was available for free preseason and only Dundee United took the plunge apparently on big wages for Scottish football although they're in Championship, I think it would take about £1m to get him.
He reminds me of Stephen Dobbie with his career path and if he continues to follow it then he would be a perfect English Championship player.
Not the same attributes as Dobbie but he is basically just a goalscorer but importantly he's able to do it up front on his own, pretty quick, strong and got a very good scoring to chances record (from my own recollection not stats based).
He's not young (23-24?) so would need to hit the ground running, next move is his big one particularly if he wants to build on his recent Scotland cap.
I don't know any actual stories but most reasons given for only Dundee United taking the chance on him was his off field behaviour, quite possibly has sorted these out as seems to have knuckled down well.

Interesting report. Thanks, Karl.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:49 - Dec 30 with 1130 viewsBenny_the_Ball

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:38 - Dec 30 by karl

Funny how at 24 Shankland is considered "not young" but at the same age Lumley is considered a baby.
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:56 - Dec 30 with 1120 viewskarl

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:49 - Dec 30 by Benny_the_Ball

Funny how at 24 Shankland is considered "not young" but at the same age Lumley is considered a baby.

Very true, probably to do with playing position.
In all honesty a Scottish 24yr old who has only started performing in last 2yrs in the 2nd tier will look as though he's missed the boat but there is always one or two late developers, using Dobbie as another example of that is the fact he's still banging in dozens of goals and he's now 39. 2nd tier in Scotland but he's in great shape and looks to be playing as well as ever, seen him against Hibs a few times in the flesh and great player. Scored a great last minute equaliser in a semifinal for Hibs v Rangers so always look favourably on him of course😁
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 17:05 - Dec 30 with 1103 viewskarl

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 16:45 - Dec 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Interesting report. Thanks, Karl.

Seem to be linked with a different player up here every week atm.

As an aside had a few people at the house yesterday and the Killie supporters were raving about Haamaleinan, great attacking fullback who has seamlessly replaced Greg Taylor, who was sold to Celtic for about £1.2m and since capped for Scotland, not bad for someone who was needing a change in fortune. Although in contrast a (Glasgow) Rangers fan had gone to watch Motherwell v Killie and was watching out for him as been hyped up a bit but said he was quite poor in that game.
Killie boys said Haamaleinan told local press he'd been sent up to Scotland to toughen up and be more prepared for 1st team football, he's maybe not that far from a recall, they're actually scared he might be asked back in January and given the Wolves/Manning talk could be traction in it?
I'd rather try someone like him above Wallace tbh if Manning was to be sold for decent money.
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 18:40 - Dec 30 with 1052 viewskingo

Apparently Osman Kakay has been recalled from PTFC. Has been doing pretty well up there.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Login to get fewer ads

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 18:50 - Dec 30 with 1048 viewskarl

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 18:40 - Dec 30 by kingo

Apparently Osman Kakay has been recalled from PTFC. Has been doing pretty well up there.

I seen a club statement from PTFC on another thread about that.
I haven't seen him lately as Partick not on TV very often but did last season and wasn't overly impressed tbh. That said Partick were struggling badly and have only just started to put some good performances together under new manager so it could be linked with that and he's needed some things around him sorted, good that there does look like a succession plan in place with these youngsters
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 18:58 - Dec 30 with 1042 viewsrsonist

We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 17:05 - Dec 30 by karl

Seem to be linked with a different player up here every week atm.

As an aside had a few people at the house yesterday and the Killie supporters were raving about Haamaleinan, great attacking fullback who has seamlessly replaced Greg Taylor, who was sold to Celtic for about £1.2m and since capped for Scotland, not bad for someone who was needing a change in fortune. Although in contrast a (Glasgow) Rangers fan had gone to watch Motherwell v Killie and was watching out for him as been hyped up a bit but said he was quite poor in that game.
Killie boys said Haamaleinan told local press he'd been sent up to Scotland to toughen up and be more prepared for 1st team football, he's maybe not that far from a recall, they're actually scared he might be asked back in January and given the Wolves/Manning talk could be traction in it?
I'd rather try someone like him above Wallace tbh if Manning was to be sold for decent money.

Yeah I don't think Wallace has the legs for that wing back role. Has done reasonably well as third CB though and was probably signed for his dressing room presence above all else in any case. Hamalainen seems very well (probably solely) suited to the modern Manning role from what little I saw of him - not a winger nor a flat back four FB.
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 19:15 - Dec 30 with 1025 viewsdaveB

The team needs a goalkeeper, a centre half and a defensive midfield player, we're unlikely to get all 3 in January so I'd personally prioritise a defender and midfield player and send Smith back to Man City. Someone who can link the defence and midfield on the ball and get the ball moving through to the final third quicker would make a massive difference.
We need a good old fashioned poacher. on 14:31 - Dec 31 with 914 viewsNorthernr

LFW's man in Dundee adds....

I saw the rumour that sir les was at Tannadice a few days ago... It would take a very big bid to prise him away in January as he his fundamental to getting this united team promoted and would be awful pr if he was sold. However Shankland is a very good player at this level - his goal scoring record is excellent at united and Ayr, but not sure what he'd be like at say at a championship side. I would describe him as a traditional forward, who is good in the box and if given the chances is a great finisher. Doesn't add much else to a team in regards to build up play or pace though.

Sounds a bit like Andy Thomson.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024