Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite away day & Why? 13:57 - Feb 7 with 6943 viewsPigbag

Due to the mixed preferences of being in the prem & championship regarding away days im interested to know what everyones favourite away day is and why? best pubs, stadiums etc.
Favourite away day & Why? on 16:06 - Feb 7 with 1945 viewsJuzzie

As I ride my motorbike to most games the pub aspect has never really been one for me. Consequently, Leicester hasn't been a bad away day experience overall.

Easy to get to up the M1, easy to park right by the ground as if you ask the man nicely on the rubble car park they'll let you tuck the bike in a corner. Getting out and home again not too much trouble either.

The ground itself is a souless identikit bowl but as well as the aforementioned, we usually have a good turnout and get a result there (the 4-0 Easter Monday 2010 aside).

Favourite away day & Why? on 16:18 - Feb 7 with 1914 viewsShotKneesHoop

Doncaster,

Great train ride there.

Great pub, full of R's old gits from the 60's and 70's on the way in

Great five pints of Brew Dog Punk IPA and a nice pie.

I vaguely remember that there was a game and we won 1-0.

Great pub, full of R's old gits from the 60's and 70's on the way out.

Great train ride home.

Looking forward to going back there next year.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Favourite away day & Why? on 19:42 - Feb 7 with 1865 viewsderbyhoop

Man City last May. Fabulous atmosphere. Lass O'Gowrie for pre game beverages. Barton losing it.
Nearly pulled off the surprise result of the season. Nobody that bothered when we finally lost (thanks to Stoke). Watching the Man Utd fans at Sunderland realising they'd had the title nicked off them.

I know the ground is modern but it's easily walkable from the train station, alongside the canal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Favourite away day & Why? on 19:47 - Feb 7 with 1857 viewsngbqpr

Favourite away day & Why? on 16:06 - Feb 7 by Juzzie

As I ride my motorbike to most games the pub aspect has never really been one for me. Consequently, Leicester hasn't been a bad away day experience overall.

Easy to get to up the M1, easy to park right by the ground as if you ask the man nicely on the rubble car park they'll let you tuck the bike in a corner. Getting out and home again not too much trouble either.

The ground itself is a souless identikit bowl but as well as the aforementioned, we usually have a good turnout and get a result there (the 4-0 Easter Monday 2010 aside).

Filbert Street, by contrast, I always thought was one of the most intimidating grounds around

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Favourite away day & Why? on 21:06 - Feb 7 with 1830 viewsMrSheen

I used to love Highbury. Easy to get to, a great view and unusually for those days you didn't think people wanted to kill you. We even won there once or twice as we'll.
Favourite away day & Why? on 21:09 - Feb 7 with 1827 viewsbenbu

This does change according to what time of year we visit. I've always enjoyed Southampton and Norwich away days. So close to the city centre lots of pubs bars to choose and normally no bother being away fans. In London going to kings cross for a few beers before arsenal in has been a success in last 2 seasons. Most new grounds are the same style but I've enjoyed our trips to derby and Leicester more for the results and memories. Worst away days Luton 2005-2006 ( seasons) and Rotherham 2004 millmoor. Terrible towns terrible grounds. The pub dr ??? I think in middlesbore was a shining beacon in a shit town. Didn't enjoy Liverpool but Everton although same area fantastic. Bradley's wine bar cracking pub near ground very welcome by locals. I enjoyed a beer 2 weeks ago in plaistow the lord Stanley home fans pub but good atmosphere
Favourite away day & Why? on 21:48 - Feb 7 with 1812 viewsMrSheen

Favourite away day & Why? on 16:05 - Feb 7 by W7Ranger

Roots Hall, Easter Week-end in 97 was a good day out! We won which helped!

You weren't there for 5-0, I assume.

I liked Gigg Lane too, my brother lived round the corner.

Worst ever...Manor Ground, total slum, some atrocious performances and memories of the Milk Cup. I used to live there!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Favourite away day & Why? on 22:03 - Feb 7 with 1796 viewsLblock

Derby away

Fantastic day out that commences with the champagne bar in Kings Cross and is a proper good drink up.

The day we won 1-0 up there when Furlong (I think) got sent off after 10 mins was particularly memorable... in a cant remember it as I was so drunk type way.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite away day & Why? on 22:18 - Feb 7 with 1785 viewsEalingRanger

Favourite away day & Why? on 15:42 - Feb 7 by SuffolkHoop

Maybe my Palace memories are rose tinted. Lost of beer, win 2-1 and "we're Queens Park Rangers, We're top of the league". Also we drew there 0-0 recently, not a bad day out either. Always felt like the Rs end is in good spirits at Selhurst.

That 2-1 win at Palace was one of my favourites of recent times. Great goal by Helga.
Favourite away day & Why? on 22:52 - Feb 7 with 1765 viewsderbyhoop

Favourite away day & Why? on 22:03 - Feb 7 by Lblock

Derby away

Fantastic day out that commences with the champagne bar in Kings Cross and is a proper good drink up.

The day we won 1-0 up there when Furlong (I think) got sent off after 10 mins was particularly memorable... in a cant remember it as I was so drunk type way.

It was 2-1 at Derby when Furlong got sent off around the 30 minute mark. Our second was one of the great goals of recent times. Santos breaking out of defence, slipped the ball to Gallen; as it came from his right side he clipped it with the inside of his right foot and curled it from 2 feet outside the post to just inside it. I was right in line.

Good drink ups in Derby could take in The Brunswick, The Alexandra or the Smithfield. For devotees of proper ale.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Favourite away day & Why? on 23:04 - Feb 7 with 1758 viewsLythamR

Favourite away day & Why? on 22:52 - Feb 7 by derbyhoop

It was 2-1 at Derby when Furlong got sent off around the 30 minute mark. Our second was one of the great goals of recent times. Santos breaking out of defence, slipped the ball to Gallen; as it came from his right side he clipped it with the inside of his right foot and curled it from 2 feet outside the post to just inside it. I was right in line.

Good drink ups in Derby could take in The Brunswick, The Alexandra or the Smithfield. For devotees of proper ale.

Funny how the perspective can change depending on how you travel

Port vale is one of my favourites, the Vine down the hill (5 mins) is a nice pub and we have had a great knees up there many times over the years and until about 7 years ago they sold the absolute best steak pie

Tranmere was always a good trip, nice pub on the corner, easy parking, the game where jerome thomas made his debut for us was a fantastic day, as we had watched the chelsea game in the Prenton arms before hand and they lost, then we win 3-2

Sheffield Utd, easy parking good pubs, fantastic view when we get allocated the upper tier like the league cup game when Utd were in the Prem and little QPR nobbled them with a great Rowlands goal

Sunderland also good but that is mostly to do with weekenders in Newcastle
Favourite away day & Why? on 23:19 - Feb 7 with 1745 viewsthemodfather

Favourite away day & Why? on 23:04 - Feb 7 by LythamR

Funny how the perspective can change depending on how you travel

Port vale is one of my favourites, the Vine down the hill (5 mins) is a nice pub and we have had a great knees up there many times over the years and until about 7 years ago they sold the absolute best steak pie

Tranmere was always a good trip, nice pub on the corner, easy parking, the game where jerome thomas made his debut for us was a fantastic day, as we had watched the chelsea game in the Prenton arms before hand and they lost, then we win 3-2

Sheffield Utd, easy parking good pubs, fantastic view when we get allocated the upper tier like the league cup game when Utd were in the Prem and little QPR nobbled them with a great Rowlands goal

Sunderland also good but that is mostly to do with weekenders in Newcastle

blackpool comes to mind..we seem to take over and the young farmers thing the other year was funny....brannigans was qpr for the weekend!!

ipswich is so easy to get to but i continue to be chucked out there and er, saints..what me,
stewards??!!!! i fking hate em

i like millwall too, having coins at yer ed and what not makes me feel alive..emirates is shocking, i think arsenal fans would cry with stuff we've seen over recent years....taking over palarse the last 2 games there was great, really rubbing it in. despite padlocks on gates....don't start me...
Favourite away day & Why? on 23:24 - Feb 7 with 1736 viewsMrSheen

Favourite away day & Why? on 23:19 - Feb 7 by themodfather

blackpool comes to mind..we seem to take over and the young farmers thing the other year was funny....brannigans was qpr for the weekend!!

ipswich is so easy to get to but i continue to be chucked out there and er, saints..what me,
stewards??!!!! i fking hate em

i like millwall too, having coins at yer ed and what not makes me feel alive..emirates is shocking, i think arsenal fans would cry with stuff we've seen over recent years....taking over palarse the last 2 games there was great, really rubbing it in. despite padlocks on gates....don't start me...

I don't mind Palace myself, but the Arthur Wait stand has to be the worst anywhere. Someone built a big wooden stand that tipped gently onto its back without anyone noticing.
Favourite away day & Why? on 23:29 - Feb 7 with 1732 viewsAgedR

Sunderland or Newcastle.

The night out....oh my...so splendid (with a gentile enquiry they will show you their derrière)

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Favourite away day & Why? on 23:34 - Feb 7 with 1728 viewsdaveB

lower league away games in our first season down in division two were great, all unknown adventures, new stadiums to visit etc. I loved Bury away when paul bruce for the winner, Stockport, Brighton, Port Vale etc but hard to pick the one away day.

For me being an away day fan is about the people you go with, doesn't matter if it's old trafford or Home Park, if you share a day with good friends and the qpr family then it will be an enjoyable one.
Favourite away day & Why? on 23:37 - Feb 7 with 1651 viewsTacticalR

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:45 - Feb 7 by Konk

I hate Palace away. Just something so fu cking bland about that place. The ground's neither old nor modern, doesn't have anything special or quirky about it, it's just...Selhurst. The area's just boring suburbia and the pubs are rank average. I have no feelings one way or other about the club, but I suspect the Palace ultra divs would cause me no end of trouble these days. We could win the league down there and I'd be feeling flat by the time I got back to Thornton Heath.

It's an absolute crime what's happened to Selhurst, beginning with the sale of the away end to Sainsbury's in 1981. It's one of the grounds that has suffered most from the introduction of seating. I went there in the 1970s and it was quite a good ground, with seating on the sides and loads of standing room at both ends, which were uncovered. It got a crowd of 50,000 in as recently as 1979. The ground had quite a unified style. Now you have an eyesore of four mismatched stands with mismatched seats.

Air hostess clique

Favourite away day & Why? on 02:33 - Feb 8 with 1633 viewsSonofNorfolt

West Ham, as in the other week, is always a good one, because there is hardly any animosity between us, which is the way it should be everywhere but isn't.
Apparently, we are the only away fans who get in the Lord Stanley, at least 50 of us two weeks back.
Nottingham. County because you can pretty much do what you like, and we've won there several times over the years, and Forest. One of the only places where I, like many, have never seen us win, over about 30 visits of which I've been to about half, it's got to happen one day?
A new win at the Liberty on Sat?
Favourite away day & Why? on 08:25 - Feb 8 with 1608 viewskomradkirk

liverpool,everton,newcastle,sunderland and middlesboro all mainly for the nights out in liverpool and newcastle.
north west grim towns always good for a night in blackpool and a trip to the soul suite where teeth and hair are in short supply.
nottingham was decent last time out as well.
Palace and the railwaymens club was enjoyable and cheap.
Favourite away day & Why? on 16:44 - Feb 8 with 1548 viewspeakqpr

Far to big a question and I haven't the time to answer properly but off the top of my head:
Wolves (I know, I know but I'm always in an exec box here)
Norwich
St Albans
Bournemouth
Arsenal (both grounds)

Pubs (far to many for an alkie like me but try these):

Leopard (Port Vale)
Great Western (Wolves)
Rifle Volunteers (Oldham)
Head of Steam (Huddersfield Station)
Port St Brew (Man City)
Favourite away day & Why? on 16:53 - Feb 8 with 1539 viewsW7Ranger

Favourite away day & Why? on 21:48 - Feb 7 by MrSheen

You weren't there for 5-0, I assume.

I liked Gigg Lane too, my brother lived round the corner.

Worst ever...Manor Ground, total slum, some atrocious performances and memories of the Milk Cup. I used to live there!

Erm... no, I erm..... missed that one!! *phew*!!
Favourite away day & Why? on 16:54 - Feb 8 with 1539 viewsHunterhoop

Favourite away day & Why? on 22:52 - Feb 7 by derbyhoop

I was there that game and must have been sitting near you; I was right in line with Gallen's curled goal too.

I like Derby too. Been there a few times. Easy train journey, ground nearish to station, cracking pubs opposite the station...especially the Brunswick, which is one of my favourite ale pubs in the country and a good football away pub.

Also, we always get a result at Pride Park!
Favourite away day & Why? on 17:01 - Feb 8 with 1535 viewsLandofoz89

Favourite away day & Why? on 14:26 - Feb 7 by loftboy

Maine rd, best pies in the world ATAF

Best pies- Norwich by far, cooked by delia's own fair hands!

Meet me by the railway track

Favourite away day & Why? on 17:20 - Feb 8 with 1518 viewsW7Ranger

Balti Chips in Walsall!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024